Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Interview with author Rachel Firasek



Today's guest is Rachel Firasek, talking about her latest release The Last Rising.

AUTHOR: Rachel Firasek
BOOK TITLE: The Last Rising
PUBLISHER: Entangled Publishing
BUY LINK: (releases Sept 6th)



Please tell us about yourself?
Here’s a short bio: Nestled away on a small piece of Texas land, Rachel Firasek and her sidekick-hero, raise three beautiful children that often times help mom think up new monsters to play with. She creates feisty heroines and heroes before torturing their souls and teaching them the true meaning of love. 

Tell us your latest news?
Well, I just released The Last Rising on Sept 6th and I’m gearing up to help out at the Theatre of the Vampire Ball in New Orleans on 10/28/11. The Undead Con is going to be a blast!

When and why did you begin writing?
I started writing when I was a teen, but lost time and interest in my early twenties. When I hit thirty I decided to dig back in and to try to make a go of this gig.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
A writer or an author? I’ve always been a writer, but I considered myself an author when I signed the contract on my first sale, Piper’ s Fury.

What inspired you to write your first book?
Well, my first book ever was a 98 page short story due for an assignment in my 9th grade English class. It was a historical fantasy with a heroine named Amethyst (that of course had purple eyes, because that’s what color eyes I wanted) and a white steed. Now the horse didn’t belong to the knight, oh no, that was Amethyst’s ride that she used to save the knight who was locked in a tower. J Yes, there was even a touch of the feminist in me back then.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Almost all of my stories have a “get over yourself” theme. I’ll explain: When things happen in our lives that are difficult to overcome, we have two options: Get over it and move on, or wallow in whatever pity party that’s happening at the moment. I want to find the way to dig out of the party even when everything seems to want to keep you there. So, mostly that’s my themes. 

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?  (Has anyone ever realized it?)
Nah, I’m pretty good at making up stories. Not much in my life is interesting enough to make great fiction. Lol. 

What books have most influenced your life most?
I read for entertainment, not for self-growth so I don’t know that any book has had a huge impact. I write for my therapy, but I do know that even though everyone moans and groans about the Twilight series, I’ve read it 8 times. Take away the creepy age gap, the dead and alive elements, and the weird lack of parenting and it’s a truly innocent story. 

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
 Laurell K Hamilton for the level that I would like to hit one day—in a perfect world. In the real world—Leanna Renee Hieber—she’s super sweet and no matter how busy she is, she’ll still find time to pop in a tweet or thank you email. 

What book are you reading now? What do you like, or not, about it?
I’m reading Wasteland by Lynn Rush. It’s awesome so far. It’s told from the hero’s voice and is wickedly hot. 

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

Rosalie Lario’s Demon series has me engrossed and for a more contemporary feel I’ll stalk Brooke Moss. Oh, and if I could even meet any of my author friends, it would be the lovely Kendall Grey. Her books aren’t out yet, but they’re coming.

What are your current projects?
I’m working on my Curse of the Phoenix series and hope to start a new top secret YA novel later this year.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
Nah, I like it. Turner’s hot, my heroine is strong. They are just the way I like ‘em. 

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
It started with Dr. Seuss. I wanted to rhythm just him, so poetry was my first love. Shakespeare stole my heart at the age of 12 and then the world of Romance. 

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
I think backwards, therefore I write backwords.  It’s a pill to always have to start over. 

Do you ever have problems with writers block?  If so how do you get through it?
I don’t get writer’s block—but I do get writer’s ADD. It’s a pain. I usually have to have a lot of pep talks. 

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?
I’m an office manager for a busy car dealership. I have three kids and a hubby and land with sheep and dogs. So, my day stays pretty busy. But I do allow myself one hour on Sunday night for True Blood.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
Laurell K Hamilton. I love her ability to sink me into a scene. 

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Keeping my heroine from being too hard. I’m not very girly so getting my heroine’s to soften up is hard sometimes. 

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
I learned that if my butt is not in my chair, the words won’t magically appear on the screen. Lol

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Write, grab Critique Partners, write some more, don’t strangle critique partners, write some more. And when you’ve done all the writing you think you can stand, write some more. Every day that you write, you’ll get a little better. 

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
 I adore my readers and I always scream that they are the best, but this past year I created the Sassy Street Sirens. They are a group of my readers that enjoy tweeting and facebooking my news and upcoming releases. I guess you could call them my beta fan club. But, seriously I adore these ladies.

Any special appearances or events coming up that you want to mention?
I’m working on getting time off to visit the Vampire Ball on 10/28/11 in New Orleans. It’s part of the Lestat Fab Club annual fundraiser. It should be a blast!

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them?
I have three publishers at the moment. Crescent Moon Press is the publisher of my debut novel Piper’s Fury.
Whiskey Creek Press is the house for my short erotic romance: Stone Hard Love and Entangled Publishing is the home of my new release The Last Rising and the Curse of the Phoenix series.  I pitched to CMP & WCP and then later queried Entangled.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.



 BLURB:

After paying two millennia’s penance to Osiris, world-weary Phoenix Ice has had enough. Saving souls without any hope for her own redemption isn’t how she imagined spending eternity. Fed up, she decides her next death will be her last. But when she sacrifices her own life for a sexy Texan in a catastrophic plane crash, she has no idea the consequences will be so great…or that she’ll end up back in his life for her next assignment.
Now that Turner Alcott has survived the worst, finding a wife and mother for his son matters more than ever before. When the mysterious Ice comes into his life, Turner knows she’s the one—but love is the last thing Ice wants. If he wants to win her heart, Turner must teach Ice how to forgive herself, and prove that love is the ultimate sacrifice.

Title: The Last Rising (Curse of the Phoenix, Book 1)
Author: Rachel Firasek
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Length: Novella – 102 pages
Release Date: September 2011
ISBN: 978-1-937044-28-2
 



7 comments:

  1. Great interview! Rachel - I keep learning more and more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I was thinkning the same thing - Lisa each blog hop Im finding more and more out about Rachel !! Her secerts will no longer be safe soon !! I wanna come to the vampire ball ** now that will be exciting ** Great interview !! and I cant wait for book 2 !!! Thanks for the interview ladies was awesome !!
    kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lisa!!! I'm going to have to start interviewing you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa and Katrina, thanks for stopping and commenting. I really enjoy the author posts and getting to know more about the people behind the books I enjoy so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kat, thanks so much for coming by. Penny, your interview was awesome. Hugs for having me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel, it was my pleasure. I love visiting with other authors here on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOO the vamp ball sounds devilishly delightful i wanna go..can i stow away in your luggage:)

    Sassy Siren Earthie stopping thru:)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete