Monday, September 12, 2011

Interview with Paranormal Author, Cynthia Arsuaga



Today's guest loves her vampires!  Cynthia Arsuaga is here to talk about her latest book, Born to Play

AUTHOR:  Cynthia Arsuaga
BOOK TITLE:  Born to Play
PUBLISHER:  Secret Cravings Publishing


1.     Why don't you start with telling us a little about yourself? What genre do you write in and why?

Cynthia resides in Orlando, Florida, the land of magic, surrounded by the treasured gems in her life, a caring, loving husband, dutiful and loyal daughter, and precious, delightful granddaughter. Oh and not to forget her mischievous Yorkshire Terrier, Thumper.

Cynthia was a “Navy Brat” calling a different port home every couple of years—from Southern California, to Boston, to Virginia, to Florida. She developed wandering feet and diverse interests and passionately incorporates those experiences into her stories, bringing characters to life, and eloquently sharing the vivid images of her mind with her audience.

Cynthia worked as a real estate broker for over twenty years before retiring to Florida. Until recently, then she turned to writing to stretch her creative muscle. Those ideas of faraway places and quirky characters lay dormant for years and finally demanded their story be told.

Cynthia plans on putting some mileage on those wandering feet and travel to exotic locations in the coming years.

The genre I currently write and will probably be my first love is paranormal and specifically about vampires. Gotta love those hot neck nibblers!

I am writing a historical fantasy contemporary which encompasses ancient civilizations, Egypt and reincarnation.

T    Tell me about your current book which you are promoting.
I’m promoting Born to Play which is the second book in the Born Vampire Series, the first book being Born to Be Wild. This story follows the love journey of Gregori Van Zant who I introduced as a small part in Book 1. He is the owner of the Vamp Sex Clubs and continues the battle with the villain Dragos Munteanu. Gregori meets by chance a romance author and well, the rest you’ll have to read. This is my official Blurb for the story:

Candi Hartz, is a romance author in a loveless marriage. One fateful night, she follows the cheating husband to the local vampire sex club and meets the vamp owner. Her life takes a drastic turn when with one kiss she enters the world she only read about.

Gregori Van Zant is a dangerous vampire. As the head of the Mid-Atlantic Blood Family of vampires, he can have any vamp or human woman at his disposal. One night, a captivating woman walks into his club and he devises a plan.

The two lovers come together and sign a contract—an exchange of sex for research. Candi is born to play and Gregori is anxious to show her. An old enemy of Gregori’s arrives unexpectedly and disrupts their plans. With a final battle looming on the horizon, will the two fated lovers find love eternal or will death play a part?

ONE VAMPIRE, ONE WOMAN, ONE CONTRACT, ONE WEEK TO PLAY.

 How long have you been writing?
Funny about this question. I have been writing seriously for two years. A couple weeks ago I was cleaning out some boxes in a closet and found my old school stuff, from elementary school, real ancient items. Inside were some of my stories. I guess of been a writer for a loooong time and took forty odd years to finally get serious about doing it! 
 What got you interested in writing, and what inspired you to write your first book?
Two things got me started, seriously that is. I’ve been writing off and on since a child, but about two years ago, after retiring from a day job, my daughter and I attended a regional Women’s Show, and there the local RWA had a booth, and my daughter loves romance especially paranormal. I really didn’t pay attention to what she read (she’s 30 years old) and introduced me to some of her books. I started reading and was hooked! After several readings, they all seemed to be formulaic and thought I could do the same if not better. At the same time, my husband, who also retired and was bored with the fall television line-up, began to write, and I was encouraged to put my ideas down on paper. The rest is history! 

Do you outline before you write? If not, what’s your initial process?
Don’t outline, reminds me too much of school I guess. If an idea hits me, I get to my laptop and type out the idea generally or even go so far as starting to write for several pages. I file it away until my muse decides when to start getting serious about writing the story. Usually a mock-up cover depicting the location, the characters or something is created and I go from there.
  

What comes first: the plot or the characters?
The start of a possible plot and the characters almost come simultaneously or at least an inkling of the kind of characters. I run the ideas through my head then put the basics to paper.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
      The middle. I know how to begin the story and end, but the hard middle has always been more of a challenge. Making all the pieces fit together is tough and sometimes I have to rewrite chapters to make everything blend. 


            Did your book require a lot of research? How long does it take to write a book for you?
Some on this book, but not too much as compared to others I’ve written. Born to Play took about four months off and on. I have started other ideas in various stages of development during the same time period. While I recuperated from a back injury and laid up in bed, I had an idea for another story and completed the 20K manuscript so took a break from Play to write it. The WIP I just finished and editing now I set a personal deadline so I wouldn’t be distracted, and I made it!

 Describe your writing space.
Nothing special. I write in a recliner with my laptop on a tray, a glass of Barq’s root beer or ice water on the side table and smooth jazz station on the music channel playing in the background.  

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
Sewing, crafts, read and not necessarily in that order when I do get free time.


What are your current books out right now and what are the books coming up for release?
Novels out currently:
Born to Be Wild, the first in the Born Vampire Series, Secret Cravings Publishing,
My Life as a Dog, co-authored with husband Mike Arsuaga, Secret Cravings Publishing
The Cougar and Her Vampire, Secret Cravings Publishing

Due out soon:
Born to Play, the second in the Born Vampire Series, Secret Cravings Publishing, September 9, 2011
Texas Heat—Hot Flash Series, a novella, Secret Cravings Publishing, October 14, 2011

Works in Progress:
A Vampire in Paris, the second book following The Cougar and Her Vampire, enough said about what it is about
Goddess of the Moon, Magic and Healing, contemporary, reincarnation, past lives, mythology, manuscript is complete and going through editing before submission
A Christmas short, a disgruntled vampire, contemporary, partially written

      What is your marketing plan?
I am on several Yahoo Chat Groups and promo all the times. I have a Facebook page and belong to several groups there as well. I have a group of friends I network with and always keep business cards with me and give them out. I participate on blogs before, during and after a new release.

      What advice would you give a new writer just starting out?
Keep at it. Write, write, write. I have found over the last two years my writing has improved immensely. Also, in submitting a manuscript, check and double check the submission guidelines for the particular publishing house are followed.

       Where can people learn more about you and your work?
My personal website is: http://cynthiaarsuaga.weebly.com
I have a blog I’m working on so not published yet and will announce on website.






EXCERPT:
“Forgive me for breaking this to you, but he released the confines of his mortal bindings to you in favor of becoming one of us, not I. Offering him a trade for what he wanted seemed fair for the trouble I would bear for his transition.”
“You can’t buy and trade me like a piece of property. There are laws against owning humans as slaves. You’re not getting away with this.”
“Yes, but you agreed, as well as Ethan. You belong to me Katje. And I can do with you what I will.”
“What do you mean I agreed? I would never agree to be with you, and Ethan, he…he wouldn’t do that to me. Besides, the law can’t say an agreement like that is okay.”
“No?” Gregori stepped back to the desk and pulled out the paperwork signed by all parties minutes earlier. “You signed this and I believe the law is on my side.”
“You said this was an internal document like the government one.” Glaring at the paper then to Gregori and back, “You lied? Why? Why me? You can’t enforce this no matter what you say. You coerced me, this won’t hold up in court.”
“Perhaps not, but I want you Katje, ever since meeting you last night. I perceived an opportunity and took advantage. I knew you wouldn’t come to me freely so I had to take you the only way I thought I could, legally.”
“But…but what you’re doing isn’t legal. You can’t get away with this.”
Gregori took a different tactic. “Maybe you’re right, but hear me out. What I’m trying to say is now your mortal husband will technically be dead according to mortal law. You will be a free woman, for either vamp or mortal, and I can claim you as easily as he can. From what I witnessed just now, he has no intentions of taking you after his transition.”
“Oh, I see, you think twisting your words will make this arrangement legal? I’m not familiar with these vampire laws because I’ve never had to deal with anything like this before. I know I’ve been out of circulation a while, but don’t most men court women, not take them by force? Contract or no contract, you could’ve asked me nicely and not go all caveman on me, hitting me over the head and dragging me off to your bat cave.”
“Is that what you think? Really? I’m a caveman. So, let me get this right. If I had asked you nicely, asked you to dinner and a movie, and brought you to my place for a romp in the sack, you would have agreed?”
“Uh, duh? Of course not. I have no intentions of getting involved with you Mr. Van Zant. I’m not interested in any relationship of any kind right now, especially one with a vampire!” Turning away, she tried to leave the office, but he stopped her movement by a firm grip around the upper arm.
“My point exactly. Now, please, call me Gregori.” Languid fingers glided up and down her arm. “Are you sure there isn’t anything I can say or do to change your mind, my sweet Katje?” Demanding, his voice was husky and velvety. Open your mind to me, Katje.
Candi took a step back. “You’re trying to use that vampire hypnotizing trick I read about, aren’t you?” After a brief pause, she continued, “Well, it’s not going to work. I read all about what you creatures do to try and seduce your victims and I’m not playing along. Go find another neck to gnaw on tonight, Mr. Van Zant. You can take that piece of paper and cram it up your ass for all I care. You can’t make me do something I don’t want to do.”
A chuckle rose deep in his chest. “Ah, you think you can get rid of me that easily. Your research is failing you. Is this the same research you came here last night to gather on me? Tell me, Katje, what is so fascinating about me and my lifestyle you would rather read about on a computer screen instead of embracing a real one when given the opportunity?”

1 comment:

  1. Cynthia, your excerpt is wonderful. Best of luck. Excellent interview. And a stunning photo. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete