Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Nobel Young Adult author, Saewod Tice




AUTHOR: Saewod Tice
BOOK TITLE: The Chronicles of 2020:  Amongst the Ruins (Book 1)
PUBLISHER: Noble Young Adult


I want to thank you so much for having me on your blog today.  Thank You so much!

Tell me a little about your book.
     My baby is the first in a trilogy of Young Adult dystopian novels.  The story is set in the year 2220 and only about 15% of Earth’s populations have survived the nuclear disaster of 2020. Amongst the Ruins of Earth children are born as future saviors, but not all are born from willingness some are a consequence.

Shilo, the result of a consequence, has been raised on the run and in hiding her entire life. Shilo wants to be free of the expectations of women.  But in a ruined world where anyone could be an enemy, only the radiation-twisted mutants are clearly identifiable. A fertile female is a precious treasure and any lapse in caution can mean a loss of the freedom she longs for.

Training as hard as a soldier to free herself from social constraints, a new clan offers her exactly what she desires.  But her success brings discovery, and discovery brings two very different men out of her past -- and
Each of them is determined to claim her.

One obsessed with owning her, the other desiring the only person to make him feel love again.

What gave you the idea for this particular story?
      As crazy as it may sound, a marathon showing of ‘Life After People’ on the History Channel.  While watching the episodes with my daughter the thought ‘What if there were a few people who’d been hidden in safety?’  From there more questions blossomed and the answers seemed to formulate without much effort.  Until I started to write it all down, of course.

Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?
     Unfortunately, I don’t have the ability to be a full-time writer in respect to the fact that I work full-time Mon-Friday, as well as being the mother of two young kids.  However, my husband really helps give me the time to spend working on WIPs as well as editing/rewriting completed novels.

    Organization?  What’s that?   Seriously, I carry notebooks for jotting down ideas for current and new ideas.  And writing takes place when I find a moment of solace, a tall glass of caffeine, and a spot for my laptop.  That is about as organized as I am able to get, though I frequently talk about clearing a small personal writing place for myself in the house.  It never seems to come to fruition, since I spend the free time writing, reading, or researching instead of getting myself together.
 
When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?
      This question always stumps me.  I’ve been called creative since I was young, drawing, dancing, writing in journals and creating short stories. But, I’m not completely sure when the writing bug truly took hold.  I’d sporadically written small stories, especially children’s stories once I had my daughter. My journal of daily thoughts and small story ideas was always a constant.  Then I got enough courage to write publicly, but still couldn’t bring myself to publicize my ideas as my sole creation.  So, my writing affair with fanfiction began.  I could write my story ideas, but hide behind another person’s initial concept/characters. After the coaxing and support of my husband and family, I finally took the leap.  Turns out, my writing could stand on its own with readers who actually would follow me.  It shocked me that other people besides friends and family would be so involved in my books.

What do you hope readers will take from your writing?
     Enjoyment.  A portion of time for them to get lost in a fantasy and with this series, I hope that they can see the strength of my female character.  No matter how hidden she has been.

Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?
     I write multiple genres.  Since my reading is quite eclectic, I suppose it makes sense that my writing is the same way.  The Chronicles of 2020 is an edgy young adult series, but I also have a women’s fiction/romance novel releasing at the end of this year as well.  On top of those, I have unpublished – completed and uncompleted – works ranging from more Young Adult to Erotic to Horror.

What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?
      For me, one of the toughest parts is focusing my ideas and my characters.  I’ll often plan to work on a particular novel, but my characters will revolt.  Either they won’t speak to me or new characters seek attention, pushing their story at me until I have to stop and jot down a crude outline.
     Writing down the character and story ideas is the only way to get past it.  However, sometimes, when everything goes silent I have to walk away and do something else to spark my writing mojo.  This is where my other ‘artistic tendencies’ come in handy.

Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it.
     The story is more based upon the possibility of what could happen in real life.  There is always the possibility of our world leaders striking against one another, of our world being decimated and only a few left behind to carry on.
      Characters you will see within my stories are often based upon people or the traits of people in my life.  In this story, though my sister is younger than me, Shilo’s older sister holds many hints of my sister – including her name.

How much is your protagonist like you? How different?
      I believe that every writer puts some of themselves into their protagonist, whether it’s a physical aspect or the way they react to a situation, etc.  Shilo does not hold any physical trait in relation to me, but I believe she carries the evolution of my womanhood in her character.  A girl who feels outcasted – like most young girls experience – who comes of age, developing into the woman she was meant to be.  She is also a way for me to live vicariously through a different person, because I could never understand exactly how she feels being hidden and on the run from something she isn’t even aware of. I’ve always been a pretty vocal person, whereas Shilo has to ‘come into’ her voice.  She also deals with a distaste bordering on hatred that we do not share.

What kind of research did you do for this type of story?
        There was a great deal of web research on herbalist, radiation effects on all types of organic life, as well as the Earth’s ability to sustain and regenerate itself.  It’s really amazing what the Earth can withstand and the amount of destruction she can comeback from.

Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not?
        It depends on the scene. There have been a couple of dark scenes I’ve written, which served a purpose, but they’ve really gotten to me as I wrote them.  Some have almost made me cry, getting lost in the scene. 
        Even though my coming release is young adult in genre, it remains edgy and a little dark in its theme. So, there are a couple of places that make this book/series for older young adults.  I will admit that there were a couple times I thought about cutting certain parts, thinking I may have gone too far for the book. In the end, my editor convinced me to leave it.

What about your book makes it special?
        I think that even though it is a young adult book/series, I’ve kept it edgy enough to not disappoint them.  I’ve read a lot Y/A where I felt that the author was too censored.  Most teenagers are very aware of sex and dark situations/themes.  I believe my book stays true without going too far.

What is your marketing plan?
       This is my first publication, so I’m learning marketing as I go.  I’ve had some great help from my publisher, fellow authors and amazing connections online.  I have gotten into a lot of online writing communities, author groups, created websites, interviewed fellow authors on my blog, as well as participated in interviews – like this. I’m just starting to embark on ‘paid’ advertising/marketing – checking into the options and the effectiveness.

Where can people learn more about you and your work?
       My author website – www.saewod.webs.com
       The Chronicles of 2020 Series website – www.thechroniclesof2020.webs.com
      You can also find me:
·        Facebook – V. Saewod Tice
·        Twitter - @saewodtice
·        Textnovel, where I post some of my writing online.  http://www.textnovel.com/profile/Saewod/13637

Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?
        Don’t be afraid.  Trying to jump into the Y/A genre can be frightening, given the popularity and recent influx of books in the genre.  If you’ve taken the time to nurture, truly put yourself into the work, and have the drive to support your work, then DO IT.

What’s in the future for you?
        In the near future, I will be releasing a Woman’s Fiction/Romance novel with 48fourteen Publishing. Hopefully, after Amongst the Ruins, Noble Romance will also pick up book 2 and 3 of the trilogy for publication.  And I also hope to see success for my other babies (Books). 


Synopsis:
In the year 2220, only about 15% of Earth’s populations have survived the Nuclear Disaster of 2020.

After 200 years of genetic diseases and mutations, devastation, and survival, industry and military capacities have been virtually destructed and social systems have fallen. With the collapse of modern society, the population has regressed into eight clans.

·         Alchemy – Largest and strongest of the clans
·         Magnus – A soldier society, dedicated to tactical training
·         Nodus – Power hungry society wishing to rule all
·         Mehdia – The only matriarch society ruled by a woman, a mother.
·         Aeon – Dedicated to archiving history and redeveloping lost technologies
·         Nigredo – Shunned for the physical and psychological effects of nuclear radiation
·         Nomadic – Free spirited and restless wanders of uninhibited territories
·         Orient – Distant clan who arrived only twice from across the sea

Each clan, once a safe haven from the radiation and the lingering effects haunting the once strong steel cities, provided support and assistance to survivors. However, as the years passed, many primal desires and behaviors resurfaced. Desiring power and authority over the others, the clans entered civil wars believing their ideals were the best approach to rebuilding civilization. 

After almost one hundred years, in the current year of 2220, the main clans have established themselves and surround their territory with their beliefs. Though their goal changed to halt wars and preserve remaining life. The Alchemy, Magnus, Mehdia, and Aeon Clans work to maintain peace.  

Among the ruins of Earth, children are born as the future saviors. Women are worth more than gold in the eyes of most, with their ability to bring life back to the population. However, with this high pedestal come sacrifice, fear, and consequences for those who can birth earths future.

Shilo begins her life, born from her mother’s womanly consequence.   While her fate is unknown to her, she will struggle, fear, and conquer more than she ever expects. Join her journey from hidden child to revered woman.


No comments:

Post a Comment