Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Interview with author, Sharolynn Wells



Today, my guest is Desert Breeze author, Sharolyn Wells.  She is here talking about her newest release, Plymouth Colony II.


AUTHOR: Sharolyn Wells
BOOK TITLE: Plymouth Colony II
PUBLISHER: Desert Breeze Publishing
BUY LINK: http://stores.desertbreezepublishing.com/-strse-186/Sharolyn-Wells-Plymouth-Colony/Detail.bok

Please tell us about yourself? I was born in Muskogee, OK and graduated from Muskogee High School in 1970. I’m happily married to my best friend Phillip. Together we have five children and five grandchildren. Our daughter, the youngest, her husband and two of our grandchildren 
live with us.

Tell us your latest news? I’m getting a packet ready to send to an agent on the recommendation of a friend of mine. It’s a paranormal romance, which I also write besides science fiction and fantasy. I’m praying the agent likes my presentation and accepts me as a client.

When and why did you begin writing? I started writing when I was 13, on a recommendation by my school councilor after I was molested by the older brother of a school friend. I’ve always had a good imagination so writing was a natural outgrowth of that imagination.

When did you first consider yourself a writer? The first time someone outside of my immediate family read something I wrote and liked it.

What inspired you to write your first book? I started out writing short stories. I was 16 when I wrote my first book. It was about a young woman who gets a job as a tutor for the young daughter of a German prince. The prince’s son is her age and they fall in love. Gosh, it’s been years since I thought about that novel. Wonder if I can recreate it.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? Tolerance. Not everyone is rich; not everyone is poor; we aren’t all white or black. We, as God’s creations, must learn to look at everyone with a heart of tolerance and love.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life? (Has anyone ever realized it?) In a way, yes. When I was in school, my family was very poor. There were a lot of times when all we had for supper was a plate of spinach because my mom worked as a processing plant and she would pick the spinach up from the floor after it was graded and bring it home to my siblings and me.

What books have most influenced your life most? The Bible, of course, but I absolutely love three authors: Andre Norton, Anne McCaffrey and Roger Zelazney. Andre also writes about tolerance in her books.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor? Anne McCaffrey. I enjoy her writing so much.

What book are you reading now? What do you like, or not, about it? I’m reading two books at almost the same time. One is Anne McCaffrey’s Freedom Series. The other is A Writer’s Guide to Publishing.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest? Trent Zelazney and Todd McCaffrey. Trent is the son of Roger. And Todd is following in his mother’s footsteps.

What are your current projects? I’m editing a paranormal romance I wrote many years ago, getting it ready to send off to an agent.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book? Not a thing.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated? I was a voracious reader as a child. When I was about 13, I read an Andre Norton novel and decided, I could write something just as good.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing? I have a problem with head-hopping. It’s always been one of my biggest problems. I’m trying to break the habit. I’m also trying to break the habit of writing passively.

Do you ever have problems with writers block? If so how do you get through it? The one time I had writers block was right after my mom died. I went into a serious depression when she passed. I didn’t and couldn’t write anything for about 5 years. Once I got over that, I began writing again.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing? I crochet. My mom taught me how to chain stitch when I was 9 but she didn’t know how to turn her work to go back the other day. Then in 1974, I went to visit my best friend from junior high school. She was living in Salem, NJ and I rode the Greyhound bus there. She taught me how to turn my work. I have crocheted baby blankets for my sister, my niece and my daughter, plus several friends. I also do large afghans and last winter, I finished a queen sized spread for my daughter and son-in-law’s bed.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work? As I mentioned above, Andre Norton, Anne McCaffrey, and Roger Zelazney. I also love reading anything by Debbie Macomber.

What was the hardest part of writing your book? Making sure I got all the story in there I wanted to tell.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? Not really.

Do you have any advice for other writers? Keep on keeping on. Nothing is ever accomplished by sitting around saying, “I can’t do it.” You can and should. I’ve had several friends who gave me the same advice.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? I hope you enjoy my book.

Any special appearances or events coming up that you want to mention? No, there’s not.

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them? Desert Breeze Publishing. I belong to several yahoo email groups. One of the ladies in another group mentioned that DBP was accepting science fiction romance novels, and I submitted Plymouth Colony II to them.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.



A colossal formation of meteors is coming to destroy the Earth in a matter of weeks. Teris Keyes and her brother, Eric, have been selected to go to colonize the planet of Kelkan. Arriving on Kelkan, Teris soon finds herself attracted to Kovar Not, the commander of the camp where the Earth citizens are held. Teris must deal with her growing attraction for Kovar, as well as the growing anger and prejudice of an Elite group of Kelkan society.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjbpwlqp5Qw

No comments:

Post a Comment