Monday, October 3, 2011

Interview with erotic author, Mike Arsuaga




Today, my guest is author Mike Arsuaga.  His book, Subspecies, was recently released from MuseItHot Publishing. 

AUTHOR: Mike Arsuaga
BOOK TITLE: SUBSPECIES
PUBLISHER: Muse It Hot Publishing
BUY LINK:    ALL ROMANCE BOOKS:http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-subspecies-546381-139.html
    BOOK Strand: http://www.bookstrand.com/node/812004


Please tell us about yourself?
 I grew up in New Orleans. In 1962, I set a state long jump record which got me a college scholarship. After graduation, I spent twenty-three years in the Navy driving submarines. After a divorce,I met and married Cynthia, in 1978. She is a writer, too. We live in Orlando with our daughter and “The Official Apple of My Eye” granddaughter Larrna. Oh yes, and Thumper, our Yorkie who’s on the cover of the book Cynthia and I co-wrote “My Life as a Dog.”

Tell us your latest news?
 SUBSPECIES apparently sold very well on its first day in release.

When and why did you begin writing?
I began in the fourth grade.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
 When I picked it up after a twenty year hiatus upon retirement in 2007.

What inspired you to write your first book?
I belong to a website called We Book, a community of readers and writers. One of the projects in 2008 was a contest to write an erotic short story.  I submitted one called “The Girl in the Library." Besides being well received, many encouraged me to expand it into a novel.  Before expansion, I mapped out a world where vampires and lycans (The Subspecies) might believably exist.



Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
What humanity views as the vilest part of Creation may seek redemption and evolve to its highest and best use.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?  (Has anyone ever realized it?)
Not specifically. I take people I know as well as events and idealized them or combine them with others to make a story. For example, life aboard a mother ship traveling deep space in my recently completed “Lagrange Point” is based on submarine experiences.

What books have most influenced your life most?
The Iliad, War of the Worlds, 1984

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
HG Wells

What book are you reading now? What do you like, or not, about it?

Too busy writing and promoting to read just now.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
No.

What are your current projects?
I recently completed the fifth and last installment of The Subspecies books.  I’m considering writing more books taking place in the same historical timeline, a sort of spin off series.  “Life in the Time of Decline," for example, will trace the first two thirds of the twenty-first century from a human’s POV. The Subspecies will be peripheral.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
No, I’m very happy with the way it turned out.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
I tried to write sequels to HG Wells’ “The Time Machine” in junior high. I didn’t like him killing off Weena, the female lead. Before that I dabbled in micro short stories, mostly science fiction.  The sequel was my first serious effort, as I recall.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Keeping character and event details straight between the installments and chapters.

Do you ever have problems with writers block?  If so how do you get through it?
Step away and do something else.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?
Yard work or keep after “The Official Apple of my Eye.”

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
Wells and Orwell. They each have a clean straightforward writing style.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Stopping to eat and sleep. I got on a tear and it took over my life.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
To pace myself better, which I did on the subsequent installments.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
It’s hard, but try to learn from each rejection.

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them?
Muse It Hot Publishing. I found them through a call for submissions they put out on a Yahoo group named Publishing trove. 

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.

Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/mike.arsuaga1

No comments:

Post a Comment