Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Interview with erotic author Xavier Axelson




Today, my guest is Xavier Axelson.  His erotic story, The Incident, is published by Seventh Window Publications.

AUTHOR:  Xavier Axelson
BOOK TITLE:  The Incident                 
PUBLISHER:  Seventh Window Publications

1) Tell me a little about your book.
The Incident is about two men who are polar opposites.  One is struggling with PTSD and the other is struggling to keep his friend from falling into complete despair.  They are small town cops.  That in itself is a struggle, especially when their friendly feelings turn into more. 

2) What gave you the idea for this particular story?
I recently wrote a blog about this.  I realized I wrote this in honor of the cops I grew up with, in a VERY small town.  You know all the cops when you live in such a small place and the relationship between the public and the police is very different than when you live in a metropolis.  My brother is also a cop, so I made sure to talk to him a lot to make sure I got it right.

3) Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?
Right now I do write full time. I write a column over at examiner.com, am also a regular contributor at Queer Magazine Online, and will start as a regular columnist over at All-Bear.co.uk.  I am always striving to be more organized.  I have a daily writing goal of 2000 words, if I do that I’m good.

4) When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?
I’ve always wanted to be a writer.  I don’t remember ever wanting to be anything else; except maybe an herbalist, or zoologist, or chef.  Ok maybe there were a few other things…

5) What do you hope readers will take from your writing?
I hope my reading makes people happy, I hope it makes people think, I hope it takes them away for a little while.

6) Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?
Right now I am writing erotica.  By nature, I am more a horror/magical realism guy and I will be focusing on that part of writing more in the coming months.  I like dark, intense writing and even when I’m writing a kids story, it somehow always ends up scary.

7) What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?
The toughest part for me is the need for quiet solitude that is important for me to be able to write.  This is not necessarily realistic all the time, so I am always trying to adapt and write in different places to acclimate myself to noise while I write.

8) Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it.
The Incident is fiction but there are elements of realism.  I think it is a little bit of a love note to my hometown.  I think the setting is very autobiographical.  The houses, the streets and the overall geography in the story is pretty real.

9) How much is your protagonist like you? How different?
I’m very Yin and Yang; equally dark and light.  I think Michael speaks to the darkness and Angel to the lighter side of my personality.  I ache for Michael and relish Angel’s carefree attitude.   I handle stress differently than Michael but I can relate to his agony.

10) What kind of research did you do for this type of story?
I talked to my brother who is a beat cop.  We spoke at length about chain of command and what a day in the “office” was like.  He even explained the locker room situation; the smell, the look and filled in gaps where I needed them.

11) Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not?
Everything I write is either sexual or violent and sometimes both.  I never know where a story is going to take me so when something is violent I go with it.  I never question the path of a story.  I will say, that having worked in the sex industries for as long as I have, I do sometimes get weary of writing a sex scene. 

12) What about your book makes it special?
I think it’s special because it isn’t a romance per se, but a story about personal forgiveness.  The love isn’t just between Michael and Angel but with Michael and himself.  He has to learn how to live and love again.

13) What is your marketing plan?
I am a trained publicist.  It is what I went to school for, it was a huge part of my career and probably will always be.  My mind works like a publicist ALL the time.  It can be maddening.  I am marketing and cross marketing every day.  Promoing is an endless tunnel.  But, being that I am finally my own client, I don’t mind it.

14) Where can people learn more about you and your work?
My website: www.xavieraxelson.com is a good place to start!

15) Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?
Keep on moving don’t stop, stopping is stagnating and that’s not the way to get your voice heard.

16) What’s in the future for you?
I have a new release coming out with Seventh Window next month and then a print collection to follow that.  I then have a release with Silver Publishing that is scheduled to come out in January.  



Buylink:


Blurb:

Officer Michael Carmac is a small town cop whose life is turned upside down by a horrific incident that neither he, nor the community he serves can forget.  While Michael’s long-time friend and partner officer Bertram Angel offers support and friendly companionship during Carmac’s ordeal, Michael soon finds his feelings for Angel turning from friendship to something more.  As Michael’s thoughts of guilt and personal responsibility over the incident intensify so do his emotions for Angel and the realization that love may be the only way to heal his wounded heart.



Excerpt:

the incident

Michael leaned towards Angel, the cold pie plate the only thing between them. Michael's heart was pounding and he could feel Angel’s breath soft on his face.


“No, it’s like right by your mouth, on the right,” Michael said.


Somewhere a night bird called out and the only reply was the incessant symphony coming from the bugs in the trees, but Michael didn’t hear anything except his own tormented thoughts clashing against his physical desires. Sweat had begun to run down his back and he shivered as he felt his spine twitch with excitement.


“Did I get it?” Angel asked, making another swipe at his face.


Michael leaned in, his hands shaking, the pie plate feeling slippery in his other hand. “Here,” he said as he pressed a shaking finger against Angel’s cheek. “Right here,” the last word was more a pant as he wiped the offending chocolate from Angel’s face. 


Michael thought he saw something in Angel’s eyes when he touched him but he wasn’t sure. Although he wanted Angel more than words, he was terrified that what he thought he saw wasn’t real.


“Mikey,” Angel breathed, coming closer.  He put a hand on Michael’s arm and pulled him close. “Do it, whatever you’re thinking, do it.”


“I can’t,” Michael whispered.



Where to find Xavier Axelson:





4 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me as a guest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for having me as a guest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pleasure. Glad you could join me today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet you, Xavier!

    Helen
    helenhardt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete