Monday, November 7, 2011

Romance Author, Ciara Gold



Today, my guest is erotic romance author, Ciara Gold.  Her latest release from Champagne Books is On Timeless Wings of Gold.


AUTHOR:  Ciara Gold
BOOK TITLE: On Timeless Wings of Gold
PUBLISHER: Champagne Books
BUY LINK:  Release date November 7 but you can check my website for updates on buylinks; www.ciaragold.com

First, thanks so much Penny for hosting me today, especially since it’s a special release day for me. My eleventh novel, On Timeless Wings of Gold makes its debut today. Whoop! For a buy link to this wonderful book, check out my website or blog. Hopefully I’ll get them posted in a timely manner. 

Please tell us about yourself?   I write all sorts of genres for Champagne Books. Lately I’ve been writing a lot of fantasy romance, but as soon as this latest hits the virtual bookshelves, I think I’ll go back to writing a few historical western romances. 

When and why did you begin writing? I hated to read when growing up because it gave me headaches so it wasn’t until I was 19 and my then mother-in-law gave me Shauna by Kathleen Woodiwiss that I got hooked on reading. I wrote my first romance when I was 20 but it was horrid. After that, I dabbled with first chapters but I didn’t write another full length book until my good friend, Kim Lenox, invited me to join a critique group. That was the end of 2003 and I’ve been writing ever since. My first book, Celestial Dragon was published in 2006.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? Most all of my novels have some sort of message. On Timeless Wings of Gold addresses the fact that often times love isn’t enough to make a marriage work, that both parties have to be true to themselves so their partners can respect and appreciate them more. 

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?  (Has anyone ever realized it?) Yes. I bring in memories or stories I’ve heard from others all the time and use them for resources. No, no one’s realized it yet, mainly because I change them up quite a bit. 

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor? I have a lot of wonderful mentors. Most came from my first critique group. I would list Marie Higgins, Kim Lenox, Ginger Simpson, Suzie Grant, and Michael W. Davis among the many who have helped me along the way. 

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest? I’m finding several new authors. Lyn Horner, Ellen O’Connell, Caroline Fyffe to name a few. They all write historical western and western romances, which is a favorite genre of mine to read.

What are your current projects?  Right now I have four wips (works in progress) going. Two are historical westerns, one is a mix of western and fantasy, and the last is a fantasy (the sequel to The Keeper of Moon Haven).

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing? Working non-stop. I teach high school art and I have four preps. When I come home, I’m also art director for a local magazine. A lot of fun but also work. For relax time, I love to watch action movies or go sailing with my husband. 

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?  I have way too many favorites to list them all, but I adored Susan Carroll’s Bride Finder and I love most all of work done by the following: Lorraine Heath, Cheryl St. John, Anne McAllister, Susan Elizabeth Phillips.  They all have brilliant dialogue, interesting plots and well drafted characters. And they all have tension. I love tension in a book because it makes the HEA that much sweeter. 

What was the hardest part of writing your book? Rewriting it. LOL. I’d started this story in 2006 when I also began its predecessor, On the Silver Edge of Time, but I hit a snag when the book went to a dark place for me. After much thought and hair pulling, I redirected my hero’s reaction to something the heroine had done and that got the words flowing again. 



Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? On Timeless Wings of Gold is a time travel in which part of the story takes place during the Viking times. I discovered that they used a mixture of crushed mint and cuttlefish bones to make a tooth paste. I thought that was pretty interesting. I also learned that the shoe was one piece of leather that they wrapped around their foot and then secured with lengths of leather. I’m sure there are other fascinating tidbits to share but those are the two that stand out most in my mind. 

Do you have any advice for other writers? Keep writing no matter what and don’t rely only on yourself for editing. Writers need critique partners and beta readers to help work out the kinks. 

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.






13 comments:

  1. Hey all, I'm just now announcing to groups as I'm at work but I wanted to let you know a buy link:
    http://champagnebooks.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=521

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciara, congrats on the new release! Interesting premise. Time travel opens up such creative possibilities, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks allieritch. I love time travels for that very reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciara! You have another book? SQUEEE! This one sounds great! I can't wait to read it.

    ~Phyllis~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks big time Phyllis! And for those that happen by this site, Phyllis is one of my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Ciara! Your new release sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Ciara! I love time travels too. Interesting research about the toothpaste. Your new book sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so looking forward to this book, Ciara! I love your writing style!

    ~Jude
    http://jude-johnson.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to read this one, Ciara. You know how I love those time travels. Good luck with sales.

    Linda
    www.lindalaroque.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats our your eleventh novel! I love the little tidbits like the toothpaste and the shoes. They make historicals so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent interview, ladies. And the cover is stunning. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bits of research make a book, I think. This cover is beautiful. The story sounds intriguing. Another book to be read. (sigh) So many books, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is there anywhere I can find the westerns published by Ciara Gold in paperback?

    I have 3, but, would love to have the rest

    Ty

    lauriehowle@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete