Thursday, November 10, 2011

Romance Author, Grace Elliott




Today, my guest is Grace Elliott.  Her latest release is Eulogy's Secret


AUTHOR:             Grace Elliot
BOOK TITLE:       Eulogy’s Secret
PUBLISHER:        Independent
BUY LINK:            Amazon US: 
Amazon UK:
Smashwords:

Please tell us about yourself?
Hello, my name is Grace Elliot and I have two passions in life: animals and writing. I’m incredibly lucky because my day job is as a veterinarian and writing fits in perfectly around this. I have worked in the same companion animal practice on the outskirts of London for fourteen years and feel quite the ‘old hand’. Being animal mad I currently have 5 cats and a guinea pig - not to mention 2 teenage sons and a husband - not listed in any particular order of preference! 

Tell us your latest news?
There is so much creativity buzzing round the Elliot household at the moment!
My second novel, “Eulogy’s Secret” (Book One in The Huntley Trilogy) was recently released and it’s a doubly exciting time because I also have a non-fiction book, “Cat Pies - feline historical trivia” coming out late November.  “Eulogy’s Secret” is a historical romance, a story of greed, prejudiced and a stolen identity.
On a more personal note my eldest son has just started at the prestigious City and Guilds Art College, in London, studying Fine Art - and loving every moment of it. However this largely seems to involve playing with paint, ink and charcoal and looking at naked ladies (and men!) 

When and why did you begin writing?
I started writing in 2002 after a school reunion. To my surprise, school friends who I hadn’t seen for over twenty years, were all eager to know if I was still writing. They remembered stories I had written for English homework being read out to a hushed class and were convinced I’d go on to be a multi-published author!! Being reminded of this was a “Eureka” moment.  The enjoyment of writing for pleasure, of creating new worlds and escaping to them, came back to me in a flash and after a 20 year gap  started writing again. 

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
Anyone who is disciplined and writes regularly, be it for publication or for their own pleasure, is a writer…but for me being acknowledged as a writer came with appearing in print for the first time. This was an article called “On the Shoulders of Giants”, published in The Veterinary Times, which told the stories of famous historical characters and their pet cats!  To see words I had written on the page for all to read was an amazing, inspiring and incredulous experience all rolled into one - and I still get that feeling with each new piece that is published. 

What inspired you to write your first book
As part of learning their trade every writer has a stash of books they have written but never sent to a publisher.  My first novel was just such a book and I still look on it with a huge sense of pride. Titled “The Woman Who Paints Horses” it was inspired by the cottage where a famous female Victorian artist once lived. That I pass everyday on the way to work. A blue plaque mounted on the white washed walls honours her memory, and it was this memorial that first caught my eye and set the creative juices flowing.  Truly, inspiration is everywhere! 

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Eulogy’s Secret” is a story of greed, prejudice and stolen identity. One of the themes explored in this book is that people are not always what they appear, and personal prejudice can blind you to the truth - be it good or bad.  Although set in Georgian London with it’s strict social hierarchy, prejudice is alive and well in the 21st century and therefore a theme still pertinent today.

What books have most influenced your life most?
Without a shadow of doubt, the one book that has influenced me most is Margaret George’s astonishing novel, “The Autobiography of Henry VIII”. Not only is it a fabulous, page turning read but it brings history to life in an inspirational way. Let me explain. 

I hated history at school. I hated the dry-as-bones-dates-and treaties so much that I begged the teacher to let me give the subject up. It was some ten years later, when I heard a review of “The Autobiography of Henry VIII” and decided to give it a go, that a new world of history opened up. Through reading this book I discovered a passion for history - not the text book stuff, but how people really lived, what they ate, how they felt, the day to day struggle to survive…and it’s become an obsession ever since.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
Since I made the switch to reading mostly eBooks I am more prepared to try out new authors and genres I wouldn’t previously have read. I am constantly astonished by the high standard of writing and wonderful story tellers out there.  I loved “Replica” by Lexi Reveillin - and was swept away by the author of  historical romances, Rose Gordon, and particularly impressed by historical fantasy writer Elizabeth Marshall and her book “When Fate Dictates.” That’s one of the liberating thing about having an eReader - the books are so reasonably priced, you can take a risk! 

What are your current projects?
Recently I’ve been bogged down in the edits for “Eulogy’s Secret” and “Cat Pies”, and to give myself a creative boost I’ve enrolled on NaNoWriMo. For those that don’t know - the National Novel Writing Month takes place during November and the aim is to write 50,000 words in just 30 days. I intend to use it to get the first draft of the second Huntley book “Hope’s Betrayal”  well under way - so wish me luck!

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them?
My first novel, “A Dead Man’s Debt” is published by Solstice publishing.  I love working with them and it has been a wonderful experience that gave me the confidence to move forward.  Nothing stands still, especially the publishing world where more than ever before an author can produce high quality work that is well edited and formatted - and publish it independantly. My aim is to create a novel of even higher standard than “A Dead Man’s Debt’ and with “Eulogy’s Secret” - I hope I’ve achieved that. 

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.

Do pop over to my blog at:  http://graceelliot-author.blogspot.com  . My blog is a quirky mix of historical trivia, romance and cats - guaranteed never to be dull! 

Here are my other links:
Website:              www.wix.com/graceelliot/grace-elliot
Twitter:                @Grace_Elliot



Eulogy’s Secret - a story of greed prejudice and a stolen identity.


In the four weeks since her guardians’ death, Eulogy Foster has lost everything. Penniless and alone she seeks the help of her estranged brother, Lord Lucien Devlin. But Devlin throws Eulogy out onto the streets and the mercy of a passing stranger, Jack Huntley. As Eulogy seeks the truth behind her birth, she is drawn into the world of art and artists, where her morals are challenged and all is deception.

Jack Huntley: bitter, cynical and betrayed in love. He believes women are devious, scheming, untrustworthy creatures - and when he rescues a na├»ve Miss from being raped, his life is about to change forever. As his attraction to Eulogy grows, caught in a deadlock with both denying their true feelings, events take a sinister turn as someone seeks to silence Eulogy….forever.


BUY LINKS.

Smashwords.


Amazon US


Amazon UK.




4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Penny, for hosting me today. It's lovely to be here and I wish you and all your followers a good day.
    Grace x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous interview, Grace! I am so glad you had the "Eureka Moment" and began writing again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful interview, stunning cover, and I'm so glad you attended your reunion. Best of luck, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Rose and Joylene - I must go to another reunion to share with everyone what happened after the last one - but I suppose that will be in another 20 years!
    Grace x

    ReplyDelete