Wednesday, December 14, 2011

According to Plan by Madison J. Edwards, Erotic Romance Author

Today, my guest is erotic romance author, Madison J. Edwards.




AUTHOR:             Madison J. Edwards        
BOOK TITLE:       According to Plan
PUBLISHER:        Turquoise Morning Press
BUY LINK:           


Please tell us about yourself?
The Prairie dust is in my blood, but no longer on my shoes.
I was born and raised in Saskatchewan, Canada. Growing up around farmers and ranchers I always assumed I’d be a rancher’s wife, raise four boys and volunteer to make pies for community functions. Imagine my surprise when I found myself married to an Air Force pilot, moving all over the country, and towing around two boys instead of four.

Although I live in a large urban center, close to Toronto, I’m still a small town girl who has a compulsion to smile and say ‘hi’ to everyone. They could be your neighbor ‘doncha know’. I’m a member of Romance Writers of America, Toronto Romance Writers and Passionate Ink.

What inspired you to write your first book?
I’ve read romances for as long as I can remember, and have always had characters dancing around in my head. When it came time to craft my own story, I pulled from the many dreams I’d had since a young teen girl who fell in love with the dashing rogue, or despicable Earl who’d seduced the vicar’s daughter.

With that in mind, my first manuscript was inspired by every book I’d read and wished I had written. A mish-mash of what I thought a story should hold, full of exciting scenes exploding with passion and romance, a deliciously handsome rake and the requisite innocent virgin. Within this woeful diatribe was every cliché and mistake a new author could make. At the time I thought it was brilliant. Not. It was horse-pucky. ‘Charlotte’s Fall’ was never submitted anywhere, (thank God).

What books have most influenced your life most?
I’m sooooo dating myself with this answer… Barbara Cartland. First bonafide romance author I ever read. I bought every book she wrote. Second influence, as with a lot of romance writes, were Harlequin pocket novels. 

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
This author is new to me – Lila DePasqua. She writes scorching hot. Wear oven mitts when you pick up one of her books. Yowsa. She has written three books with the most saucy spin on fairy tales you’ll ever find.  

What are your current projects?
I’m working on a contemporary romance. Classic story of man meets woman, woman really, really likes the man and then finds out a little deception he was trying to keep from her, woman doesn’t want to like man – but ‘le sigh’ love will conquer all.

Do you ever have problems with writers block?  If so how do you get through it?
Yes. This was the latest road block I’d run into. Up until this summer, ideas flowed so fast I couldn’t keep up with them. Then we had a little tragedy in our family, and it set me back on my heels. But everybody is fine, we’re healing, and I had to kick my muse in the butt and wake her up! She’d gotten quite lazy after three months of doing nothing but eating chips and watching reality TV.

Who is your favorite author, and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
I picked up one of Karen Marie Moning’s books, and fell in love. 

What struck me was my anticipation of ‘the act’ between hero and heroine. How did she do that? So I took my favorite book, The Immortal Highlander, and put it under the microscope. When and where did she start the sexual tension between the two leads?  What I found opened my eyes. It wasn’t just one scene, or even two. She wove the tension for chapters, culminating with Adam prowling around our virginal miss. Oh, I couldn’t wait for him to claim her in every sense of the word.  

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Everyday life with my characters. For me, love/erotic scenes are easy, and action a whole lot of fun, but when it comes to mundane, everyday things, I want to throw the computer across the room. If I’m bored writing it, you’re bored reading it. I struggle to make them interesting, doing nothing. *bang head on desk*

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
I can do anything I set my mind to. As simple as that.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
The only way to learn how to write is to write. The only way to become a better writer is to write. Park your tuckus in front of your laptop, notepad, computer, legal sized scrap paper (if you’re old school) and write. The only thing stopping you from writing/completing your story is you.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
 I have no desires to become a New York Time’s Bestselling author. My goal is to create a story that keeps you enchanted, and wanting to read more. If you fall in love with my characters, like I have, then I’ve done my job.

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them?
Turquoise Morning Press. Another author friend of mine signed with them, so I checked them out. After reading their submission guidelines, I felt they’d been written with me in mind, so I sent off my m/s.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.






 
Excerpt:
Not wanting to show how much he affected me, I sat and kicked my feet out on the cluttered desk. “Spill, what do you want?”

Pushing some papers out of the way, he hitched his hip on the edge of my desk. “I got this lead on one of my cases and it brought me into your neck of the woods. Ever hear of the Grant family?”

My suspicions rose. Tank still did PI work, but his client list read like a ‘who’s who’ from Forbes Magazine. Was it coincidence the Grant’s had just hired me to find their son? And that Tank had shown up, asking about them? Maybe, then again, maybe not. I decided to hold my cards close to my chest.

“I have. They pretty much own the whole town. Hell, maybe the whole state.”

I watched his face and body language for any tells. Would his eye twitch if he was lying through his teeth? Would he fidget, like I did? Nope. Calm and cool, as usual.

“I need your feminine intuition to ride shotgun with me, feel old lady Grant out. Something doesn’t feel right, and I’m itching in my don’t-wanna-itch-place.”

Tank had a sixth sense when it came to his work, so I was none too pleased to hear he’d be sniffing on my trail. I looked down at my non-existent manicure, hoping he’d buy the whole nonchalance act. “What’s the tie-in?”

“I’m freelancing for a detective buddy of mine, Los Angeles P.D. They had a pretty grisly murder. Call girl, lower east side. She had a new john called Harry. Bought her nice clothes, jewellery, all the fixings. I’ve narrowed the suspect list down to our socialite, Harrison Grant. Thought I’d go rev his motor for a while, see what I could shake loose. Wanna come along for the ride?”

Two things became crystal clear. Tank had to be side-tracked and I needed to talk to the Grant’s before he did. One word from Tank and they’d clam up about finding Harry. Now I knew why they wanted a small-timer like me. I wouldn’t raise any suspicions while I poked around looking for Harrison. They sure as hell hadn’t counted on my big bad ex showing up on the same case. Well, I was going to get to them first because I didn’t want to lose the retainer.

About the author:

From the age of four Madison has been an avid reader. Many fond memories are of walking to the local library, reading everything she could find. In high school she penned quirky stories for class assignments and was called upon to read them almost every class. No one was spared her caustic wit – not even the dreaded English teacher, Mr. Cooney. She still graduated….

According to Plan is Madison’s debut full length novel. Since contracting her book with Turquoise Morning Press, three steamy, erotic short stories have been released through her publisher’s erotic imprint Sapphire Nights Books, including her ARe Bestseller, The Perfect SecretaryYou can find out more about Madison and her other books at www.madisonjedwards.com.

Buy links:



4 comments:

  1. I can't help it, I'm excited to see a fellow Canadian doing what she does best: write. Your book sounds wonderful, Madison. Best of luck with sales, and with life on the move. Our son is a sergeant in the Army so I understand the life. Very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really did enjoy this book. Just my kind of reading.

    ReplyDelete