Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Children's Author Rebecca Ryals Russell



Today, Rebecca Ryals Russell returns to my blog.  Today she's talking about her upcoming release, Jeremiah.

AUTHOR: Rebecca Ryals Russell
BOOK TITLE: Jeremiah
PUBLISHER: MuseItUp Publishing



Please tell me how long you've been writing, and why you decided to become a writer.
I’ve been actively writing for about five years. I always wrote for myself since I could hold a pencil, but it wasn’t until I retired from teaching I began writing for sale.

Are you a full-time writer or a part-time writer, and how do you organize your writing time?
I’m a full-time writer running a home business and managing my family. I write during the day while kids are all at school then do promo/blogging/marketing during the afternoon and evening.

What influences your writing?
My biggest influence is the news. The two series I’m writing include actual news accounts as the evil committed by the demons.

Is this your first published work?
This book, Jeremiah, is not my first published book. It is the 2nd in the Stardust Warriors MG series. The first was Zarena.

What other types of writing have you done?
I used to write poetry and song lyrics, but not for sale.

Why did you choose to write a children's story?
I write for children because I love them and want them to be aware of the insidious evil in our world so they can stop it. I have always loved children-hence teaching Middle Graders for 14 years and having 4 kids of my own (2 adopted).

What was the process of creating this book from the first idea to the final published book?
Jeremiah wrote itself as a prequel for the series Stardust Warriors. After a couple of revisions I sent it to MuseItUp and they agreed to publish it. The book comes out next month.

What are your thoughts on traditional versus self-publishing?
When I first entered this business I was dead-set against self-publishing. But the technology and attitudes have changed/improved so much over the past five years I am planning to self-publish a few future books under my own publishing name: Flyte Publishing.

What is your marketing strategy?
I use Twitter and Facebook heavily. I also blog A LOT and guest post on a lot of blogs for MG or YA. I belong to several children’s writers’ groups as well.

What are your thoughts about children's writers needing an agent or not needing one?
In today’s publishing world I do not see the necessity of an agent. Several self-pubbed writers have proven the viability of success for do-it-yourselfers.

Where can people find out more about you and your writing?
I have quite a few places readers can see more about me or my books as well as works-in-progress.

Author website: http://rryalsrussell.com.
Teen Word Factory at http://teenwordfactory.com
Character Facebook    http://facebook.com/myrnawatts
Series Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/vigorio
Personal Facebook Page  http://facebook.com/rebeccaryalsrussell           
Fan Page Facebook http://facebook.com/yellowhatwriter                   


Do you have any tips for writers who are new to children's literature?
I would tell new authors to take craft workshops, read good fiction in your genre, read good craft books, write daily, join writers’ societies like SCBWI or YAlitchat.com. The information gleaned from these groups is priceless.




Please give us a brief synopsis about your current book and when and where it will be available.

For centuries upon centuries Reverend Jeremiah Holyfield guarded the Prophecy in a small village church at the base of the mountains wherein dwell Narciss and his Legio of evil demon-dragons. But now that the dragons burned the village and church to the ground, Jeremiah must run and hide, taking the precious document with him. Accompanied by eleven-year-old Abram, who happened to be in the church at the time, the two must cross a scorching desert, survive one catastrophe after another and still hide from dragon attacks along the way. In their search for a safe new home in the distant Solimon Mountains they encounter Majikals and monsters, natural disasters and discover new friends.

Available sometime in November from all eBook sources.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the interview. Best wishes with the books release.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Nothing gives more satisfaction then the comments of readers for an author. I would appreciate if you take some time to read my novel "The Lords Of Kumaon" I would love to hear from you about my first work. I sincerely hope you would encourage my book. Please visit http://thelordsofkumaon.blogspot.com Thank you.

    ReplyDelete