Monday, December 26, 2011

WHY DON'T WE THINK FREELANCING IS EXPERIENCE?

 In a recent Funds for Writers, Hope Clark wrote this editorial.  I asked permission to share it with you since she says this so well. 





WHY DON'T WE THINK FREELANCING IS EXPERIENCE?

A common habit amongst writers is the use of the word JUST.


"I just write little articles for magazines."

"I just blog a bit, trying to sell a few stories."
"I just write stories, but nothing like a bestseller."

My belief is that we downplay what we do to lessen the impact

of caustic responses or negative replies. We don't dare step
up and say, "Why yes, I am a writer. I write ."

Blogs abound with advice on how to own up to our profession.

However, what they don't tell you is how to use your freelance
talent and history to apply for a job. Do you even have a resume?

I post full-time and part-time jobs in the newsletters for a

reason. Some people operate better as an employee than a
sole proprietor. Also, employers offer benefits. And the
regular checks aren't bad either. But so many writers won't
apply for a job, for fear they aren't qualified. Kind of like
not submitting for fear of rejection.

Being rejected by an employer is no different than being

rejected by an editor or contest judge. They can't pick
everyone. But you can do your best to shine in hopes they
pick you.

But don't shirk off what you do as a freelancer or indie

writer. Look at a job description you might like to do.
Formulate your writing experience to sound like the details
of a 9-to-5 job.

"Performed detailed research to include interviews, online

and print resources."

"Prepared articles per style guides required in advance

of deadlines."

"Reached 100,000 readers on a monthly basis via a regional

magazine."

Everything you do as a freelancer:


-research

-drafting
-editing
-interviewing
-meeting deadlines
-formulating copy to the needs of the client
-supporting the publication's or company's information program
via print and/or electronic communication
-provided weekly newsletters or daily blog posts
-maintained a social media relationship and bolstered a
platform that grew from 100 to 5,000 followers in a year

Whatever you do, think of it in terms of a job description.

Then don't fear applying for a job. In this day and time,
jobs are gold. And if you crave one, take your writing
experience, dissect it, and write it boldly into firm
and descriptive duties that any employer could fit into
a job mold. You don't have to have an employer to say
you have experience. Freelancing => Experience.

Hope


THE NEWSLETTER: 
http://www.fundsforwriters.com
THE BLOG - http://www.hopeclark.blogspot.com
TWITTER - http://twitter.com/hopeclark
FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/chopeclark

ABOUT.ME - http://about.me/hopeclark

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing that writer and confidence don't seem to mesh easily. I still stutter inside my head when I say I'm an author. I try to present a confident expression, but I'm so sure they'll see through me. Amazing.

    Great article, Hope. Thanks Hope & Penny.

    ReplyDelete