Today's guest is children's author Marvin Mayer who released his book through 4RV Publishing.
AUTHOR: Marvin S. Mayer
BOOK TITLE: Ferdinand Frog’s Flight
PUBLISHER: 4RV Publishing
BUY LINK: www.kidsbooksbymarvin.com
1. Please tell me how long you've been writing, and why you decided to become a writer.
Started writing about 4 years ago. Was encouraged by my wife and friends, and I enjoy writing.
2. Are you a full-time writer or a part-time writer, and how do you organize your writing time?
I’d have to consider myself a part-time writer since I am an active volunteer in a variety of other organizations. However, I am not otherwise gainfully employed. I retired in April, 2007. I do my best writing early in the morning, so I try to devote a couple of hours to the craft each morning.
3. What influences your writing?
The desire to put something together that others will enjoy reading, or have read to them.
4. Is this your first published work? What other types of writing have you done?
This is my 2nd book to be published. I have also been published in 3 different magazines and expect to be published in 2 writing group anthologies to be released later this year.
5. Why did you choose to write a children's story?
As noted above, I enjoy bringing happiness into the life of a youngster, and I also want to encourage children to be better (and more dedicated) readers than I have been.
6. What was the process of creating this book from the first idea to the final published book?
Fairly routine. Wrote the text, had it critiqued by my writing peers, submitted it to some publishers, waited for a publisher to accept it, edited certain parts to meet the requirements of the publisher, “nominated” an illustrator who was on the publisher’s list of illustrators and was pleasantly surprised to have my first (illustrator)choice agree to illustrate my story, wait for a release date, buy books, and start selling them.
7. What are your thoughts on traditional versus self-publishing?
As long as I can find a traditional publisher willing to publish what I write, I have no interest in self publishing. If/when I no longer can find a traditional publisher who wants to work with me, I may consider self publishing.
8. What is your marketing strategy?
Seize every opportunity that comes along. Contact everyone on my address books, attend as many book signings as possible, attend local and regional festivals (particularly those relating to my book’s subject matter,) attempt to do school visits, spread flyers throughout my neighborhood, and … when I get more knowledge about it, use social media.
9. What are your thoughts about children's writers needing an agent or not needing one?
I have not used an agent, but admit to attempting to find one. My feeling about an agent is that one can (1) put my manuscript in front of publishers who might otherwise be inaccessible to me, and (2) help me expand my market (geographically.)
10. Where can people find out more about you and your writing?
At my website: www.kidsbooksbymarvin.com
11. Do you have any tips for writers who are new to children's literature?
Find and join a writer’s group in your community. If none exists locally, try neighboring communities. Become part of a critique group. Be open to constructive criticism, and attend at least one workshop/conference annually. Keep writing!
12. Please give us a brief synopsis about your current book and when and where it will be available.
Ferdinand Frog’s Flight is the story of a frog who, since he was a tadpole, wanted to be able to fly. For a creature without wings, that’s a pretty lofty dream. However, with the help of some winged friends, Ferdinand manages to soar among the clouds. That’s when he discovers that flying … well, let’s just say it gave him a new perspective about getting around. This book was published by 4RV Publishing, and was released in July, 2011. It can be purchased through the publisher, or from my website, or through some of the traditional on line marketers (B&N.com, Amazon.com).