Monday, January 9, 2012

The Horseguard's Lady, Killarney Sheffield


 

AUTHOR: Killarney Sheffield
BOOK TITLE: The Horseguard's Lady
PUBLISHER: MuseItUp Publishing

Tell me a little about your book. My story begins in England with Lady Rose, cousin to the queen's niece. When her cousin approaches her with the idea of switching costumes at a mascaraed ball she has no idea how sinister the prank will become. She is kidnapped by the leader of Russia's Cossack rebels, who hopes to use her to secure England's help in his scheme to over take the Russian throne.  Rose, however is not the type of lady to give in to her predicament and she makes a desperate bid for freedom that lands her in the arms of the Czar's captain of the horseguards. Her problems worsen when she discovers she no longer remembers who she is or whose side she is on.

2) What gave you the idea for this particular story? I have always been fascinated with Russia, the story of Anastasia and the mystery surrounding the continent. When I originally penned this tale back in 2001 there were very few historical romances set in Russia and I never dreamed it would actually get published on day.  

3) Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time? I suppose I am a part time writer, though I juggle many occasional jobs such as horse trainer, farrier, riding coach and recently newspaper reporter and columnist.

4) When did you first know you wanted to be a writer? I started writing in high school but was told in grade 12 that I was dyslexic. My dreams of being a horse vet were over but with the invention of spell checkers my dreams of writing were kept alive.

5) What do you hope readers will take from your writing? I hope they escape into an earlier time to get away from their everyday stresses like the phone ringing and the kids fighting. I also hope they end up with the hope of finding love in any situation. That is the Libra in me I suppose, always a hopeless romantic.

6) Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why? I write mostly historical romance but have a steampunk/historical romance releasing in June and am playing with a tween fantasy WIP right now.

7) What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it? The days when I just want to play on the internet and not write! I currently have 11 WIPs going between 2 and 15 chapters.

8) Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it. The scene where Rose falls from her horse. I have fallen so many times breaking horses that I can slow motion recall many of them! Hahaha!

9) How much is your protagonist like you? How different? Like me she would rather be out playing with her horses than entertaining perspective mates over dinner. (I met my hubby in a dairy barn by the way, no fancy dinners for me.)

10) What kind of research did you do for this type of story? I found a lady who had immigrated from Russian and worked at a library. I picked her brain on all aspects of Russia, many scenes with lots of details ended up getting cut though.

11) Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not? The Horseguard's Lady is basically a sweet romance but my novels run the gauntlet from sweet to bordering on the edge of mainstream, like my March release 'A Courtesan's Desires'. For that one I never actually classified it until my editor read it. She told me a word or two could push it over into erotica romance very easily so I cleaned it up...only slightly. (;

12) What about your book makes it special? According to the head of MuseItUp Publishing she says The Horseguard's Lady is her favorite novel of the 7 I have contracted with her as it has amazing heart to it. You would have to read it to see if you agree with that assessment.

13) What is your marketing plan? My marketing plan started with my first release last June 'Guilty Kisses'. I am the only author to ever ask a national 80's rock star for a piece of his music for my debut book trailer. Lawrence Gowan is known world wide for his songs 'You're A Strange Animal', 'Criminal Mind', 'All the Lovers in the World' and 'Moonlight Desires'. He was generous enough to lend me a beautiful acostic piece off his 1991 Lost Brotherhood album called 'Love Makes You Believe.' What makes it extra special is the fact that I actually asked for 'Moonlight Desires' but he took the time to watch the trailer and read the synopsis and suggested 'Love Makes You Believe' was a better fit. Trust a song writer to know what you want to convey, the song was perfect! So I guess for a marketing plan I am just trying to think a little higher up the music chain with each release. The Guilty Kisses video can be seen here www.youtube.com/watch?v=J41qLNKjrQA

14) Where can people learn more about you and your work? I have a brand new site @ http://author-killarney-sheffield.spruz.com

15) Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book? Keep at it and don't let anything stop you if you really want it bad enough. 

16)  What’s in the future for you? My dream is to sometime write a novel for Avon or Zebra, meet Lawrence Gowan in person to thank him for the music and make the NYT Best Sellers list. Big goals I know, but so was getting a piece of Gowan's music and I accomplished that


Thank you so much for having me here today! A special shout out to all your Russian followers. Happy reading from your Canadian friend! Killarney.

No comments:

Post a Comment