Monday, February 6, 2012

Larion Wills Talks About Tarbet


Today's guest is Larion Wills, an author who writes in a multitude of genres.  She's talking about her recent MuseItUp Publishing release, Tarbet.



AUTHOR: Larion Wills
BOOK TITLE:  Tarbet
PUBLISHER: MuseItUp Publishing

What genre do you write in and why? I write all over the place, contemporary, historical, fantasy occasionally, science fiction, western-the old west kind--and am as likely to toss in a ghost or two just to make it interesting as not. Why? Because I like it. What else can I say? Something peaks my interest and the story is off and running through my head. When I get it where I want it, it goes down on paper. Historical and contemporary are a bit more restricting, but with science fiction and fantasy my mind can expand with the ‘what if’ syndrome, as long as I can make it believable.

Tell me about your current book which you are promoting.   Today it’s Tarbet, a historical western romance. Here’s the tag and blurb to give you an idea.                   
 Some men who carry a badge are no better than those they hunt. Words enough to frighten Susan into letting Tarbet die? 
 Blurb: Forced to run the ranch like a man after her father’s death, whispers ran wild that Susan was less than a lady. William coming to call caused tongues to wag more. Taking care of a wounded man with only Blazer to help would totally ruin her reputation, but she couldn’t leave a dying man in the hands of delicate Angela or her bungling father no matter what the gossips said about him. How was she to know how much more was behind the attempt on his life? How was she to know she would have to take up a gun, as less than a lady, and fight to save herself and the man she loved?
You might notice, the main character is a woman. Women had to be every bit as tough as men to survive the frontier, yet they were expected to be weak and helpless to be considered ladies. Doesn’t seem fair, does it?           
How long have you been writing? Forever. Okay, only all my adult life. That just seems forever.
What was the hardest part of writing your book? The ending. Life doesn’t just end, neither does a story, but I have to quit sometime and give the readers a finish that doesn’t leave any tangling questions.
Did your book require a lot of research? How long does it take to write a book for you? As Tarbet isn’t my first western, it didn’t require too much research. Along with the various things I had already explored—history for me is an adventure exploration—I love antiques and have picked up all manner of historical facts shopping for them. I didn’t associate Tarbet with any historical event either, leaving it open for the reader to imagine the time period with what was surrounding them and the culture of the times, items they used during their day to day living. It is, for those who want to know, late 1800s. How long it takes depends on how many distractions are going on in my life at the time. Generally speaking, a couple of weeks for the first draft. From there it can stretch out to years with the publishing and editing process. For me, there’s always something more that could be done, one more sentence that could be rearranged, one more scene that could be added. That’s when I have to put the brakes on and convince myself it really is done.

What are some of the challenges in your writing process? The biggest challenge for me is getting the manuscript typed into the computer. I write my first drafts out in long hand, the old fashion way. Old fashion doesn’t cut it in our electronic world of today, but you won’t hear me complain about my computer, emails, or internet. I am not the best typist in the world believe me. Deleting and replacing misspelled words or marking and dragging a section from one place to another is so much easier than retyping the whole thing on a typewriter. Attaching a file to an email compared to printing it all out and mailing, so much faster and cheaper. Last month I got my speech recognition program installed. Now all I need to do is find the time to learn to use it and a quiet place.

Describe your writing space. That would be the living room couch on my laptop. I have a separate room and a desktop, however my husband began to feel like he lived alone when I disappeared in there to work. On a typical day, I take a couple of hours in the morning for other things before I start. Once I start, with the exception of necessities, I’m on it until I give it up for the night. I have one of those lap desks, a wall calendar under the laptop, a pad for notes, a couple of pens on there, leaving room for the mouse. I don’t like that little pad thingy on the computer top. The lamp table next to me holds a glass to keep my throat from getting dry. One dog sleeps next to me. The other sleeps on the floor not far from my feet. When I’m typing in a manuscript my system gets awkward. The dog has to move over and he hates it. Editing is easier, it’s all on there already.
What do you like to do when you’re not writing? Not writing? Oh, yes, there are times when I’m not. Usually that time is spent doing all the things I’ve put on hold while I was writing. There are breaks, of course, an occasional dinner out with my husband, a morning or afternoon with family or friends, but the hours I used to spend doing things like crafts, sewing, knitting, all ended when I started publishing and then moved into editing. Keeping up with the loops and promoting take a pretty good chunk out of my writing time as well. That’s how I start each morning on the laptop, checking emails and reading the digests.
What books or authors have influenced your writing? I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, everything I read influences my writing. Good, bad, indifferent, even if it’s only on a subconscious level, something registers, do that, don’t do that, or that could have been better. I’ve read in more than one place by more than one author that if you want to be a good writer read everything. I’m not sure road signs and bumper stickers apply, but I’ve been a reader all my life from hauling books out of the grade school library by the arm loads to never going to town now without bringing home at least one new book to read. 

What so you see for the future of publishing and e-books? Nothing but growth. It’s so easy to download, handy to carry an ereader around, and compared to the expense of printing a book, cheap. However, I would like to see less fly by night companies pop up and disappear giving all the companies working hard to produce quality products a bad name by association.

What are your current books out right now and what are the books coming up for
release? I currently have three out with MuseItUp Publishing (White Savage, Chase, Tarbet) and one out at Secret Cravings Publishing (Mourning Meadow). Next month Traps will be out at MuseItUp with releases following in May (Mark of the Sire) and a switch off to my alter ego, Larriane Wills for two science fictions, Bonds of Time in Aug and Bastards of Ran in Nov. I’ve just started working on 2013 with The Wait for Red Roses lined up so far. You can’t tell by the titles, but that’s three historical westerns, four contemporary suspense, and two science fiction.

Where can people learn more about you and your work? I do have a website where I attempt to keep current what is available and what’s not. http://www.larriane.com

Excerpt:


Susan moaned despite her efforts not to, fighting to keep down a surge of nausea. An angry furrow cut between two of Tarbet’s ribs, deepening toward the end where a hole seeped pus and blood. With another inch, the bullet would have passed through and out. Instead it left a section of closed wound she had to force herself to begin cleaning, dabbing at first but gaining confidence as Tarbet remained quiet and still.
Sitting back on his heels, Blazer said. “Been thinkin’ on what I heared time an’ again ‘bout ‘em.”
 “I’ve heard them,” she answered in preoccupation.
“They say he’ll grin at ya whilst he shoots ya.”
“The bullet is still in there.”
“I’ll heat up a knife, but thar’s something ya ought’a think on.”
“Blazer, I don’t care what they say.”
“Say he ain’t above takin’ what ain’t his, too. Says he robbed a bank and let an innocent man go to prison fer it.”
“They say I’m a tramp,” she snapped
Blazer jumped to his feet. “Don’t ya go sayin’ such things. Ya done been raised better.”
“So have you. You’ve never turned your back on me because of gossip. Don’t on him without giving him a chance.”
“I ain’t sayin’ we should. Onliest thing I’m tellin’ ya is ya best know what ya got har.”
“The next time I find a dying man, I’ll ask first if they say he’s worth saving. Now go get me a knife. The way Hatfield’s taking over the town, we don’t dare send for the doctor. We’re all he’s got, and I don’t intend to let you talk him to death.”
Shaking a finger at her, he shouted, “Just so’s ya know what ya got, and don’t ya go bad mouthin’ yar own self no more.”
“Tell them, damn it, not me.”
 

Bio:
Larion Wills also known as Larriane Wills, writes in multi-genres to entertain you with strong characters and intriguing plots laced with mystery and suspense to tempt you into genres you don’t think you like. Her fast-paced stories will keep you reading with her story telling abilities.
When she isn’t writing for your enjoyment, she putters in her yard, plays with her dogs, and spends time with her family in the high desert of Arizona where many of her stories take place. A fascination with history and antiques lend authenticity to her historicals, while a love of science fiction, ghost and witch stores, and the great ‘what if’ feeds her imagination for others.



No comments:

Post a Comment