Friday, February 17, 2012

MG Fantasy Author, Sue Perkins

Today, my guest is Sue Perkins. She's discussing her recent release, Reva's Quest, published by MuseItUp Publishing.  I had the pleasure of working with Sue on editing both Reva's Quest and Spirit Stealer, another Muse release, and I have to say these are both wonderful books filled with delightful characters and lots of trials to overcome.




AUTHOR:                  Sue Perkins
BOOK TITLE:                  Reva's Quest
PUBLISHER:                  MuseItUp Publishing
BUY LINK:                  http://tinyurl.com/revasquest

Please tell me how long you've been writing, and why you decided to become a writer.

Since primary school I've always written essays and really enjoyed putting my ideas down on paper. I still wrote a bit after marrying and producing children, but it wasn't until they were reaching their teenage years that I took up writing seriously. I mainly decided to write because my son couldn't find anything to read in the library (he's an avid reader) and at that time there was a lack of interesting books for that age. The answer to your question about how long I've been writing is twenty-two years.

Are you a full-time writer or a part-time writer, and how do you organize your writing time?

Part-time, although I wish it was full time. I try to be organized, but it doesn't really work out for me. I have to write when I can grab the time. One day I will stay at home all day and write, write, write.

What influences your writing?

As my books are fantasy books, nothing really influences them. The story pops up in my mind and becomes embellished as I write it. I suppose the fantasy side is influenced slightly by well known authors Terry Pratchett and David Eddings, but only to the extent of the rules and laws of creating another world.

Is this your first published work?  What other types of writing have you done?

I've had fourteen or fifteen books published in the past fifteen years. My first one was a contemporary romance. Since then I've written a few more contemporary ones, plus an historical romance which was based on my parents love story. All of my other books have been fantasy as I love to read and write this genre. This is my second Middle Grade fantasy, but I have had a Young Adult fantasy published about the same time.

Why did you choose to write a children's story?

It's not a young child's story, really from about nine years upwards. As mentioned my main reason for writing for this age group was originally because of my children, but I believe there's such a wide market out there for this age who need to be interested in what they're reading. Fantasy seems to be one of the things that catches their imagination.

What was the process of creating this book from the first idea to the final published book?

The first idea was a girl who was a loner due to moving frequently because of her father's career. She found a garden gnome at the bottom of the garden of the house they'd just moved into and the gnome and the book she'd begun to write got muddled up in her mind. My process is truly simple. I get the vague idea of the start of the book then I sit down, and the book tells me where the story is going.

What are your thoughts on traditional versus self-publishing?

I think there's room for both. I have to say though that self-publishers need to be very good at editing as that's where your book could win or fail. I didn't realize how much goes into editing until I had my first book published. Even then I learn something new with each book.

What is your marketing strategy?

I try to get the word out as much as possible. Twitter, Facebook, blog tours, Yahoo Groups. It's difficult because promotion time takes time out of writing. Some of my fellow authors do question and answers or blog radio but that's not open to me as New Zealand is twenty hours ahead of the west coast of America, so when everyone talks in the evenings, I'm still at work.

What are your thoughts about children's writers needing an agent or not needing one?

I don't think it's specifically the genre. It depends on the market you're going for. The big publishers would like you to come through an agent; most of them won't look at your work if you don't. The independent publishers, especially ebook publishers, are happy to look at your work. I guess the individual author has to decide where they want to send their manuscript.

Where can people find out more about you and your writing?

hope to see you there.



11 comments:

  1. A nice interview. Congratulations on your book Sue.

    Penny, you've been nominated for The Versatile Bloggers Award. Please stop by my blog http://beverlystowemcclure.blogspot.com and pick up your award.

    Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great interview. Sue, your latest book sounds wonderful. I'm so in awe of your numbers. 14! Wow, that's inspiring. I've added them all onto my list for my grandchildren. Thanks for doing what you do.

    Thanks, Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for visiting ladies and leaving comments. I've got all confused about the times. Thought it was only the beginning of the 17th in the USA but now realise it's later. Congratulations on your award Penny. Well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, a pleasure to have you as a guest. Thanks, Bev, for the award. Now to find the time to add it to the blog and find 15 deserving bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Penny, congratulations on the award! I love who gave it to you, too!! Great interview.

    Sue, I'm amazed at what you have accomplished and I can't wait to be your guest soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a proflic writer you are Sue, your Reva's Quest sounds enchanting - it makes me think of Amelie the movie. Love the cover!

    You know how to draw out the interesting info, Penny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Barbara. Wendy, glad you enjoyed the interview. We'll have to set you up for a guest spot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Sue! Hey Penny! Sue, I don't know how you've kept all your blog appearances straight over the last few months, especially considering the time difference you have to remember! You've been a whirlwind and done such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well thank you Ma'am (curtsy to Gail) I use my iCalendar and have everything colour coded, but even then the time difference throws me out every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed the interview with Sue.

    Penny, CONGRATS on your newest award!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Susanne, always nice to "see" you here.

    ReplyDelete