Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Paranormal author Lisa Blackwood

Today, my guest is paranormal author, Lisa Blackwood, talking about her new release from MuseItUp Publishing, Betrayal's Price.

AUTHOR: Lisa Blackwood
BOOK TITLE: Betrayal’s Price
PUBLISHER: MuseItUp Publishing
BUY LINK: Late February 2012



Please tell us about yourself? Bio: Lisa Blackwood grudgingly lives in a small town in Southern Ontario, though she would much rather live deep in a dark forest, surrounded by majestic old-growth trees. Since she cannot live her fantasy, she decided to write fantasy instead. An abundance of pets, named after various Viking gods, helps to keep the creativity flowing. Freya, her ever faithful and beloved hellhound, ensures Lisa takes a break from the computer so they can rid the garden of cats with delusions of conquest.


On the more serious side of things, my day job is at a library, and I volunteer at a horse rescue on Sundays. It makes for finding time to write and promote a tad difficult, but I love what I do, so will continue to find the time.

When and why did you begin writing? Actually, I first thought up the main characters for Betrayal's Price at the ripe old age of twelve or thirteen. I never did finish that—dare I call it a novel? Years went by, and it wasn’t until I was off work for a couple months from surgery that I started writing again to deal with the boredom.

When did you first consider yourself a writer? LOL. I’m still so new to writing, I’ll let you know the answer to this question later. Maybe in another year or two.

What inspired you to write your first book? I suppose that would be the creative muse.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? I’m sure readers might be able find some meaning, but I can’t give myself credit for it. I write for fun escapism, not anything deep or meaningful. If readers find anything, it’s a happy accident.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor? I adore Ilonia Andrews—a husband and wife writing team. I just love their style. Good plots, great characterization. What more could I ask for?

What are your current projects? I’m almost finished the sequel to Betrayal’s Price. It has the working title of Herd Mistress.  I’m also working on a couple untitled sci-fi novellas, and another fantasy. Now, if I could only order myself a time machine online, life would be good.

Do you ever have problems with writers block?  If so how do you get through it? I don’t actually have a hard time with writers block, I have a hard time finding enough free time to write in. If I do get stumped on one story I just start working on another. (Which can be bad—lots of writing, but little getting finished or polished.)

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing? As I mentioned earlier, I volunteer at a horse rescue, and would one day love to have more time to spend there in the future. My other addiction..I mean hobby is growing Orchids.

What was the hardest part of writing your book? Ha! Trick question. Actually, I’ve loved every aspect of writing and editing. I suppose the hardest part was changing Betrayal’s Price from a multi-character point of view epic fantasy to limiting it to only Sorntar and Ashayna. Each new book in the series will now be told from a different set of main characters.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? Writing is a skill which improves with use and age. Over the last couple years I’ve learned lots. One of the biggest things I would do differently is have completely unique concepts for my two different series. Originally, Stone’s Kiss was part of the same world of Betrayal’s Price, but my early beta readers thought Lillian and Gregory needed their own world/story. Which is all well and good, but certain things in the plot couldn’t be changed so there are a number of similarities even though one is Urban and the other is Epic Fantasy. 

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them? MuseItUp Publishing is the Publisher of Betrayal’s Price. I first read about them on a blog a year ago. They were a very new Canadian epublisher, and I thought ‘well why not?’ And I’m glad I did. They are a great house and really care for their authors. I love my editor and cover artist.  Both have done a great job.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.


Blurb: Centuries ago the gods demanded Ashayna Stonemantle sacrifice her demon-tainted lover. She did, and then ended her own life. It didn't fulfill her obligations to the gods.
 
Reborn into a new body, with no awareness of her former life, Ashayna must follow the whims of her ancient sentient magic and seek out Sorntar, Crown Prince of the Phoenix. Through Sorntar she will discover she is host to a Larkin—a spirit creature of vast power. If she can trust the word of a man who is part avian, he is host to her Larkin's other half. Their Larkins will one day awaken and force them into an unbreakable bond. When Ashayna and Sorntar are accused of possessing Larkins corrupted by an ancient evil, they must work together to discover what happened in the past to pit bondmate against bondmate. During their search, she falls in love with Sorntar, but before she can tell him, his tainted Larkin enslaves him. The gods demand she kill her beloved, as she did once before, but she will not do it, even if it's the only thing that will keep her soul safe from his darkness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment