Thursday, February 9, 2012

Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Author Mary Abshire


AUTHOR: Mary Abshire
BOOK TITLE: Love Conquers All Evil
PUBLISHER: Noble Romance



Why don't you start with telling us a little about yourself? What genre do you write in and why? Well, I live in Indianapolis with my daughter. I'm a part time author and full time lover of anything paranormal. At young age, I took an interest in sci-fi and horror shows. The interest grew over the years. I like anything from aliens, ghosts, dragons, and the popular supernatural creatures. I even like creating new ones. However, my favorite creature has always been vampires. So, when I began writing a few years ago, I had to have a vampire in my novel. He's not the central character, but definitely an important one.

Tell me about your current book which you are promoting. Love Conquers All Evil is the 4th Soul Catcher novel. Jessie and Drake are on the run, hiding from the VETOV (Vampires for the Ethical Treatment of Other Vampires). Well, as usual, Jessie runs into trouble. But more importantly, her and Drake stumble across a serial murderer. This one has a bit of mystery as well as conflict and turmoil between her and Drake. Alan, the hot werewolf from the second book, is in this one too. The ending is very happy.

How long have you been writing? I started writing novels 2-3 years ago. I attempted to write something in my early twenties, but never did anything with it or pursued writing seriously. I am at a point in my life where I can, so I'm indulging myself.
What got you interested in writing, and what inspired you to write your first book? I have always had an interest in writing. In grade school up to my college classes, my teachers always gave me good reviews. Writing essays and papers were easy for me. I took my interest to the next level in my early twenties. Then, my life changed with the birth of my daughter. I decided my family was a higher priority along with obtaining a college education. I pushed writing off to the side. In my late thirties I had reached at a point where I found a lot of free time on my hands. I returned to reading and thought, hey, maybe I should try it. Now, it's an addiction.
In short, the interest was always in me. No one single event or book inspired me. I just needed to find time and get serious about writing.
Do you outline before you write? If not, what’s your initial process? No, I do not outline. I come up with a plot. Sometimes I jot down character names and traits about them, but that's it. I make up the details as I write. But I always have the plot first before writing.

What comes first: the plot or the characters? plot.
Which of your characters do you love/hate/fear/pity the most and why? I love Jeremy, my bad boy demon. He's always causing problems for Jessie and Drake. Yes, I love Drake too. Who couldn't? He's the noble vampire. Alan is a good character. I would've liked to see him hook up with Jessie. Come on, werewolves are hot! Characters I don't like are villains. It's difficult for me to get inside their head. I can easily slip into the mind of a naughty bad boy demon, but I cringe when I have to portray a villain.

What was the hardest part of writing your book? Jessie's decision to settle down was a bit difficult. She wasn't very trusting of other supernaturals, yet at some point needed to follow her heart. There were difficult decisions she had to make regarding her future.
Did your book require a lot of research? How long does it take to write a book for you? Each Soul Catcher novel involved a little research. I was familiar with Chicago, so the first book didn't take much. I was also familiar with Arizona, so the second book didn't take much. In the 3rd and 4th books, I had to research my locations and streets. As for the length of time to complete a novel, I was averaging 3-4 months. It depends on outside factors, and my muse.

What are some of the challenges in your writing process? Time, and thinking too much. I have a bad habit of overthinking things.

Describe your writing space. It's the spare room upstairs. I recently painted it a purplish color. Double windows on one side face the street. Near the door, I have a plain desk for my business cards and other paper stuff. The chair next to it holds my case of water bottles. (I drink a lot of water!) A book shelf for books I need to read stands near the closet. My desk faces the farthest wall. I have a bulletin board above it. I keep an ample supply of gum nearby, and I have a sticky pad for jotting things down. My computer is a Mac. I'm an apple girl all the way J
What do you like to do when you’re not writing? Read and spend time with my daughter. I like to travel too.
What books or authors have influenced your writing? Kelley Armstrong, Kerreyln Sparks, Kim Harrison, Jeanine Frost…

What do you see for the future of publishing and e-books? I see more self-published books and less paper books. Do I think the hard and soft back will disappear? Never. Just like compact discs will never disappear, neither will paper books. The market for them will decrease, but never die.

What are your current books out right now and what are the books coming up for
release?
The Soul Catcher series:
Claiming the Evil Dead
Catching An Evil Tail
Fighting Evil
Love Conquers All Evil

I also have an urban fantasy novel available, called The Awakening.

What is your marketing plan?
I chat with people on Goodreads, and during live chats. I also blog a few times a month and offer giveaways. I tweet more than I use facebook. I probably should spend more time promoting, but I prefer to focus more on writing.

What advice would you give a new writer just starting out? Keep reading AND writing. Don't let rejection bring you down. Find a good critique partner you can share your personal and writing life with. Go to a conference or two and mingle.

Where can people learn more about you and your work?

EXCERPT:
"So now that I'm here, what will you have me do?" I said.

"That is a good question. What shall I do with you?"

I glanced over my shoulder at him. In Jeremy's image, I could look at him and not feel any emotion. When he appeared as Drake, my heart ached.

"I could keep you here as my personal slave, which intrigues me, or I could send you back," he said.

My lower lip quivered. Both options made me want to vomit. Bottom line, I'd never see Drake again. I didn't care what happened to me anymore. Stripped of hope and the man I loved, nothing could cheer me up.

"I admit, you are a valuable asset to me in the living world. However, the longer I stare at your beautiful body, the more I want to keep you for myself."

"I don't care what you do with me. Just decide," I said, staring at the tranquil sea. Decide and let me move on.

He chuckled. "Jessie, you are one of my favorites. I can sense the fight still within you. I like that."

A dark shadow loomed from above, drawing my attention away from the conversation. Shielding my eyes from the bright sun, I glanced up and found a massive pair of wings in the sky. I peered closer. The wings connected to a man's body. Holy shit!

The winged man dropped like a cannonball from the sky to the beach. He smacked the ground hard, creating a tremor that made my teeth chatter. The glasses on the counter shook, spilling tea over the rim of one of them.

"What the . . . ." I said softly.

"Indeed," the devil said. He passed me and headed for the winged man.

I ran to catch up, staying off to the side of the devil. My feet slipped in the sand and I flung out my arms, trying to keep from falling. A few feet ahead, the man kneeled on one knee with his head down. His large brown wings contracted toward his body. Where on Earth, er—hell, did such a creature come from?


1 comment: