Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Romance Author, Kristie Leigh Maguire




Today is another returning guest, Kristie Leigh Maguire.  Kristie was one of my first guests on this blog and I'm pleased to have her back.  Today's book is Second Chances: Love Lost, Love Found

AUTHOR:  Kristie Leigh Maguire
BOOK TITLE:  Second Chances: Love Lost, Love Found (Western Romance)
PUBLISHER: KLM Books

Why don't you start with telling us a little about yourself? What genre do you write in and why?

I have lived all over the United States and many foreign countries while following my husband in his career. While living in Japan in 1997, I found it very difficult to find books to read that were written in English. This situation was intolerable as I am an avid reader and have been known to resort to reading cereal boxes if nothing else was available. Have you ever tried to read a cereal box written in Japanese? It was not a pretty picture. I began writing my own books just to have something to read and discovered a new passion with writing. I decided to write romance because that is my favorite genre to read.

Tell me about your current book which you are promoting.

The title is Second Chances: Love Found, Love Lost (Western Romance). Set in rural Wyoming, Second Chances is a contemporary western romance with the feel of a classic old-time romance novel as it follows the lives of Jane Porter and Mike Farley, two young people who live on adjoining ranchers and have been in love with each other since they were kids. Can the scoundrel Mike redeem himself with sweet Jane after committing the ultimate betrayal to their love? The blossoming romance between their parents, Liz Farley and Jim Porter, gives an added dimension to the overall storyline and proves it is never too late for love.

One reader stated, “I read it through in an evening, and felt as if I had spent that evening with ‘salt of the earth’ folk.” Another reader said, “I loved the double, no triple, second chances. It was a very sweet ending.”



How long have you been writing?
I have been writing since 1997.
Do you outline before you write? If not, what’s your initial process?

I don’t outline. I’ve tried it and it doesn’t work for me. I’m a ‘fly by the seat of your pants’ writer. When I really ‘get into the zone’, my characters come to life and tell the story to me.

What comes first: the plot or the characters?
I’ve written both ways. Sometimes it’s the plot first; sometimes it’s the characters first. Sometimes I’ve come up with a title first and worked from that to fill in the story and the characters.
Which of your characters do you love/hate/fear/pity the most and why?

I don’t like Mike Farley from my Second Chances book. He betrayed the love he had with his longtime girlfriend and neighbor, Jane Porter, and stomped all over her heart with his cowboy boots. I pity him though because he has deep issues with his Indian heritage which may have ultimately led to his betrayal of Jane.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Becoming one with the characters and getting into their heads. Letting go of my control issues and letting them have their way with the story.
What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
I like to read. I love going to the beach which is a good thing because I live on an island in the Caribbean. J My favorite thing to do is to take my Kindle to the beach and read. Or as they call it here in St. Croix, ‘I be liming on deh beach wit my book’.
What so you see for the future of publishing and e-books?

I do believe e-books are the wave of the future. I’ve embraced e-books whole heartedly. I don’t think paperback books are going to go the way of the dinosaurs but I think they will become secondary to e-books.

What are your current books out right now and what are the books coming up for
release?

I have a few manuscripts that I am working on but they are nowhere near completion. My current titles (in addition to Second Chances) are Desert Heat: What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas (Erotic Romance) – Book One in the Affairs of the Heart series; Cabin Fever: And the Flames Burned Higher (Erotic Romance) – Book Two in the Affairs of the Heart series, No Lady and Her Tramp (Adult Romantic Comedy), and Emails from the Edge: A Friendship That Spans the Distance.


What is your marketing plan?

Oh, are we authors supposed to have a marketing plan??  I mainly do the social media thing and online marketing. I no longer do author signings since I have switched my focus to e-books instead of paperback books.

Where can people learn more about you and your work?

Website: http://kristieleighmaguire.com
Blog: http://kristieleighmaguire.blogspot.com/
Facebook Author Page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/KristieLeighMaguire
Twitter : https://twitter.com/#!/KLMaguire (@ KL Maguire)


Thank you so much for interviewing and featuring me on your blog, Penny. I am honored.





Kristie Leigh Maguire
A Cutting Edge Indie Author
Download KLM books to your Kindle, Nook, or other e-reader from purchase links at my website. *
Website: http://kristieleighmaguire.com <http://kristieleighmaguire.com/>
Blog:http://kristieleighmaguire.blogspot.com/ *
Facebook Author Page: http://www.facebook.com/KristieLeighMaguire*
Twitter: @KLMaguire*
Cutting Edge Indies Blog:
http://www.cuttingedgeindies.blogspot.com/

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for having me back on your blog, Penny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristie, I don't outline either.

    Regards,
    Arthur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Arthur. Sometimes I wish I could outline but it just isn't for me.

      Kristie

      Delete
  3. Nice to see you here, Kristie, and thanks for the interview, Penny! Kristie, I love how you talk about your characters as if they are real people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, my characters ARE real to me. Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting. :)

      Kristie

      Delete
  4. LOL, Kristie! 'I be liming on deh beach wit my book.' I want to do that, too! LOL!

    Great interview! I'm so glad you're writing, Kristie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you were here!

      Right now I'm working on my Daughter of a Hell-Fire-and-Brimstone Preacher Man book. I've been on and off this book for a while now. Maybe one day I'll finish and publish it. :)
      Kristie

      Delete
  5. Great interview Kristie!

    Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous, Kristie! I love to hear how/why people write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. stumbled upon this site.
    Your cousin

    ReplyDelete