Tuesday, March 20, 2012

L. F. Crawford - Bad Moon Rising


Today's guest is mystery writer L. F. Crawford talking up her latest release, Bad Moon Rising.



AUTHOR: L.F. Crawford
BOOK TITLE: BAD MOON RISING
PUBLISHER: 5 Star Mysteries

Tell me a little about your book.
Detective Art Murry was a cop with strong hunches until he met a Voodoo sorcerer in Beverly Hills Voodoo.  After that he started having visions of the future and doubting his sanity.  In Bad Moon Rising, Murry’s depressed and hitting the bottle after the woman he loves was brutally raped, and is unable to cope with the loss of her job and Murry’s desire to help.  Detective Billy Kidman and Murry’s opera-singing twin brother drag Murry on a cruise, hoping to cheer him up.  But there’s a Jamaican shapeshifter on board the ship and when Billy’s amorous cruise-date ends up dead, Billy is the prime suspect.  Murry must drag himself out of the bottle and into action to save not only Billy, but himself as well, when he runs into a pack of werewolves on Jamaica.

What gave you the idea for this particular story?  Talking to a Jamaican woman at a ballroom dance competition.  She told me about the shapeshifting legend and I immediately wanted to use it in a Murry/Kidman book.

Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time? I am a part-time writer, mostly on weekends.  I used to write every day, now it’s more sporadic and less organized.

When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?
In my 20’s when a friend asked me if I wanted to write a spy novel together for fun.  I had a blast doing it and wanted to keep writing.

What do you hope readers will take from your writing?  I hope they’ll learn something interesting that they didn’t know before, in a fun, exciting way.  Like the info. about the hotel in Jamaica and Errol Flynn’s island.

Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why? The last few years I’ve preferred suspense/thriller novels.  Actually I’ve always preferred suspense/thrillers or mysteries, but I’ve also found that other genres can have just as much suspense about what happens to the characters even though they may be fantasy, romantic suspense, or contemporary romance--all of which I’ve written because I wanted to or my agent wanted me to.

What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it? It’s the blank page.  I get past it by writing anything so that I have something to edit and work with later.

Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it.  See #2 above.  Murry also encounters the ghost of Marie Laveau and strikes a deal with her in order to help the woman he loves.  That was based on a true account from a friend, who does see ghosts and had an encounter with the Voodoo priestess at her gravesite in New Orleans.

How much is your protagonist like you? I think Murry and every protagonist has some of my foibles and probably more courage or foolhardiness about risk of life and limb than I do.  I do like to explore tough or interesting subjects through my characters, so Murry’s quest to know the truth would be like me. 

What kind of research did you do for this type of story? I read up on Jamaica, watched travel shows about the island, read about Marie Laveau’s life, had a friend take photos in New Orleans of the police department and of the cemetery.  I’d been on a cruise once, so I knew a lot about the ship decks and all that already.  I also contacted professionals for medical questions or police procedural questions.

Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not?  Yes to both.  Writing violent scenes or sexual scenes takes a lot of energy.  I don’t like trying to think like a serial killer.  It’s rather sickening.  I’ve written sexual scenes in past romance and fantasy novels,  when it’s a part of a relationship but there’s more sexual tension (in my romance novels) than actual sex scenes.

What about your book makes it special? Mury’s dislike of anything supernatural.  He doesn’t want to believe it’s happening and yet it is, and when he accepts it, it helps him.  Also, the humor in these books.  Even though there is life-and-death suspense, there’s also humorous banter between Murry and Billy.  I like fun and scary!

What is your marketing plan? Do interviews,, booksignings, attend Left Coast Crime in Sacramento this March.  I generally do “something” on the weekends to promote on-line, but I don’t do a lot.

Where can people learn more about you and your work? At Author Central on Amazon.com for Louise Crawford or L.F. Crawford, or at my websites: www.lfcrawford.com and www.louisecrawfordbooks.com.

Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book? Read what’s out there.  Get a sense of the rhythm of the story, how it’s set up, how long the set-up is, the middle, and the end.  I read the entire mystery section at the library years ago, before I wrote my first mystery.  I’d always read a lot, but usually was more eclectic, so I became more focused and it helped me get a sense of what needed to happen when.  I also joined several writing critique groups so I could learn more about the craft of writing.  Getting good feedback is invaluable. 

What’s in the future for you? I’d like to write another Murry/Kidman book dealing with horse racing.  But I have a couple of other books ahead of that one, so who knows?  I’ve written a young adult novel (Amy Ward and the Rift Guardian) and I may write a sequel before I get back to Murry and Billy.

5 comments:

  1. Great interview. I've been a L.F. Crawford fan for years so it was interesting to learn some of the back story behind the book. I would love to read a Murry/Kidman book on horse racing. Keep up the great writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to write the horse-racing book--I always enjoyed Dick Francis's books. But I bet your next book is out before I even start this one!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Louise; A book on horse racing! Great. I can hardly wait to read it. I'm a long time fan of Louise's work. I always learn something new. Looking forward to Left Coast next week.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeez, Louise, sounds like a great read! I'll see you at Left Coast next week.

    ReplyDelete