Friday, March 23, 2012

Multi-published author, Jianne Carlo




AUTHOR: Jianne Carlo
BOOK TITLE: Demon Seed, Hades Squad #4
PUBLISHER: Loose-Id
BUY LINK: http://www.loose-id.com/Hades-Squad-4-Demon-Seed.aspx

Please tell us about yourself?
I’m a mixed mutt, grew up in the Caribbean, met my dh while attending college in Canada, and now live in South Florida with our three sons. I love traveling and nothing makes me happier than the words ‘road trip’.

Tell us your latest news?
The Call of a Soul, the prequel to White Wolf, releases on March 6, 2012.

When and why did you begin writing?
A magical trip to a fairy-tale wedding in a castle in Wales started me writing. But, honestly, I think the fact that I broke my right wrist (I’m right-handed) and was in a cast for four months really kick-started a creativity a part of my brain, hitherto underused. That was in 2007, and I was lucky enough to contract my first book, Manacled in Monaco the following year.

What inspired you to write your first book?
My mom and I took a mother/daughter trip to Monaco and it was a blast. I had to write about the Mediterranean. I called those books my Mediterranean Mambo series: Manacled in Monaco, Notorious in Nice, and Carnal in Cannes. Most of my books have a multicultural them. I’m the product of a Portuguese mother and an Indian father. My boys are the product of mixed mutt – me and my Dutch husbang.

What book are you reading now? What do you like, or not, about it?
I’m reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Saw the movie twice and then had to gobble up the book. Amazing. Too bad, the author died before he could enjoy his success. I love the characterizations in this book and the sparse, almost bald, phrasing. That rape scene blew my mind.

What are your current projects?
Right now I have three Viking tales in the works, and I’m in the middle of the third White Wolf tale, Alpha Me Not.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Time. There never seems to be enough time. And I would love to stop getting new ideas for new stories. My vow this year is to finish everything I’ve started.

Do you ever have problems with writers block?  If so how do you get through it?
Fingers and toes crossed, not so far. I tend to have at least two WIPs going, one historical and one contemporary, so if one stymies me, I switch to the other.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?
Cook. Garden. I find both relaxing and I love going to the movies.
Do you have any advice for other writers?

Don’t give up. Enter contests. Listen to feedback, but when you find your voice, let it ring true!

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them?
I have four publishers:
Loose-Id – www.loose-id.com
Etopia Press – www.etopia-press.net
Passion in Print – www.passsioninprint.com
Siren/BookStrand – www.siren-bookstrand.com
I submitted one book, Manacled in Monaco, to Loose-Id and almost fell over when they offered me a contract.  The first book’s the hardest, of course, and after that things really rolled for me. The Call of a Soul will be my twentieth book in three years of writing.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.

Blog and website – www.jiannecarlo.com
Twitter:  @jiannecarlo

 Demon Seed Blurb: 
 “You speak English flawlessly.” With a hint of an Irish accent. Intriguing.
   “Gracias. Languages are easy. Not like the physics.”
   What a piss-assed conversation to be having in the middle of the ocean with a woman he’d just rescued from certain gang rape, being shot, and who knew what else. A curvy, luscious female whose virginity he’d just taken in front of four armed men. Talk about the best laid plans backfiring, Demon’s carefully plotted schemeto capture the man who abused him, Pedro Nunez aka The Smiling Killer, was not off to a good start.
   “What’s your name?”
   “Jacinta Nunez.”
   Jacinta claims to have lived her whole life in a cloistered convent. Claims she’s an orphan. Claims she’s only lived in the outside world for fifty-seven days. Yet she’s the mirror image of Pedro’s sister, Rosa.
   The sister Pedro murdered fifty-seven days ago.
   There are no coincidences in life. Not for a SEAL.
   Is Jacinta Pedro’s ultimate revenge on Demon?


Format: eBook  Price: $7.99
Available at:  Amazon  ARe    Loose-Id   

Demon Seed’s set in the Amazon and in this scene Jacinta and Demon are in a houseboat on the mighty Orinoco, a river that borders the countries of Venezuela, Brazil, and Guyana.

“Jacinta,” he rasped. “Look at me.”
Her eyelids were anchors and she had to concentrate to obey him, but the effort was more than worth it to see the animal desire written in his blazing stare, his dilated pupils, the color of his eyes a dark molasses.
“I want to see you come, kitten. Stay with me.”
She couldn’t move away from his piercing stare, loved when he gritted his teeth and grunted, loved the way he pummeled into her, loved the grim set to his mouth. He lifted her higher and his rod struck a spot that blurred her vision and sent her spiraling into a series of sharp, frenzied convulsions. Aching, unbearable contractions that had her seeing black spots beneath her closed lids. She surrendered to the delicious clenching, to the feel of his pulsing cock, to the crushed embrace of his arms.
He smelled all knight-powerful, musk and tang and spice and soap all rolled into an irresistible aroma. She drank in the dizzying fragrance, ran a finger through the light dusting of hair on his chest, and then set her mouth to where his heart beat under her palm. A thin sheen of sweat coated his skin, the slight wetness both salt and sweet to her lips. Wanting to prolong the precious intimacy and hold him inside her until the memory was branded into her senses; she tried not to move, not to press another kiss to his ripped muscles.
The boat rocked.
He tensed, his shoulder bunching under her hand, and he cocked his head. All trace of the lover vanished and the warrior mask settled over his face.
When she opened her mouth to ask what was wrong, he rested two fingers on her lips.
The birds had gone silent.
Boughs creaked. Water rippled. Branches swished.
All the normal day sounds had receded. No croaks, hisses, no hint of a bee buzzing, no undergrowth being trampled. Either they had human company or a dangerous predator had entered the area.
Within seconds Demon rolled over and motioned for her to be quiet and stay put. He pulled on his trousers and boots, and ducked under the archway.
Jacinta scooted off the mattress and dressed quickly in jeans, a T-shirt, and socks. After removing the knife from her boot, she slipped past the kitchen, dropped to her knees and crawled to the engine room’s open door.
Demon, bare-chested, stood at the stern gun drawn, his pose one of full alert. His glance swept the cove. Without pausing in his methodical checking of the thick mangrove, he waved her back inside.
An instant of stretched silence she immediately recognized caused a reflexive reaction. She crouched for balance, rested one knee on the deck, palmed the knife, and studied the mangrove, eyes narrowed, sniffing to catch the faint feral stink of a big cat. To the left a branch dipped, Jacinta trained her gaze on the tree, and readied the knife.
A feline yowl preceded the jaguar’s leap from an overhead tree. The cat landed on the bank, teats hanging down heavy with milk, and leapt for the deck. Maybe three feet separated the spotted cat from the houseboat.
Jacinta didn’t hesitate.
She threw the knife aiming for the animal’s hind. The steel blade sang across the deck, skimming the bow’s apex, and sank into the jaguar’s right leg. A scarlet spray stained the matted fur. Screeching its fury, the cat reared back, landed half in half out of the river, and bounded into the dense mangrove.
Before she could draw a deep breath, Demon had her by the shoulders. He shook her. “Are you insane? Didn’t I tell you to stay inside?”
He was shouting again. Jacinta cringed but stuck her chin in the air. “I have tracked big cats. I know what to do. And I did not know if you are au corage with the jungle.”
“What?” He shook her again so hard she thought a tooth would come loose. “When I tell you stay put – you stay put. Hear me?”
“I believe everyone within three miles can hear you.” Jacinta folded her arms. “I do not understand why you are angry again.”
“You could have been hurt.” He hugged her tight and she grew even more confused. “Damn it. Next time you disobey me, I’ll tar your backside.”
“You would hit me?” She didn’t understand him, not at all.
“You turn me inside out, woman. No, I would not hit you. Not in anger anyway.” He nudged her jaw and their eyes met.
“So, you would hit me? Only not in anger? Truly, no comprendo. This I do not understand.” Yet she felt not a hint of fear, just confusion.
“Aw hell. Forget I ever said that. I do not hit females.”
She blew out a long sigh and pointed to her heart. “I know that here. But your words skitter my thoughts.”
“Scatter. Who taught you to throw a knife?” Demon shook his head. “Don’t tell me, the vaunted Sister Helen?”
“Yes. She is so much better than I with the knife. But I am far superior with guns, and a bow and arrow. Not as good with the blowpipe.” Jacinta smiled. “I told you I am not helpless.”

Thanks for having me Penny!

Jianne Carlo

3 comments:

  1. Hey, girl! You are one busy writer whose love scenes could steam any mirror!

    Mama Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to travel. Monaco, ah!

    Great interview, ladies. The book and excerpt sound wonderful. I love her age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview. Twenty books in three years? WOW! Enjoyed learning about your travels and how you got started writing.

    ReplyDelete