Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Returning Guest, Mary Abshire, The Awakening





AUTHOR: Mary Abshire
BOOK TITLE: The Awakening
PUBLISHER: Lyrical Press

Please tell us about yourself?
I live in Indianapolis with my daughter. Like most people, I work a 9-5 job. At night, I transform into a Paranormal Romance or Urban Fantasy author. The choice depends on my mood. I'm one of those "thinkers" with an over active imagination, so I don't talk much. But, I do smile and enjoy laughing.

Tell us your latest news?
Lyrical Press released my urban fantasy novel, The Awakening, in January. The same week, or the one following, I signed with Lyrical for the sequel, The Quest. Publication is set for Fall 2012.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? 
Never under estimate people. If you are determined enough, you can and will succeed.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?  (Has anyone ever realized it?)
For me, I believe my experiences are based on events. People I interact with and the outcome of events provide a positive or negative experience. Sure, I listen to what people have to say and/or recommend. But naturally, I'm going to make my own choices and learn from them—good or bad.

On a side note, the worst thing someone can do is tell me NOT to do something. When I was a kid, mom said not to touch the red burner. But it was bright and looked pretty. So, I touched it. Guess what? The red burner burned my finger. I learned a lesson that day! And throughout my life I was like that. That is how I learned. Yes, I'm a bit stubborn, hardheaded, twisted, and tolerant of pain, but what do you expect from an Aries?

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor? 
Kelley Armstrong—she has witty conversations I enjoy, and I love her style. Kim Harrison is very detailed in her writing, and I like that. Kerrelyn Sparks has a softer, romantic style that I really like. I like Jeanine Frost's style too, a lot of conversation and action. Those are just a few I'd consider mentors, or inspiring.

What book are you reading now? What do you like, or not, about it?
I'm reading the latest Kerrelyn Sparks book. I love the romance and humor in her books.

What are your current projects?
I finished a new urban fantasy novel that I am very excited about. I'm letting it sit for a while, then I will work on revisions/edits before shopping it around. I have plans for more books in this new UF series. While I let it sit and get out of my head, I'm going to work on a few novellas.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?
When I'm not writing/editing, I'm working. Or, I'm with my daughter. We have a great time shopping together.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The difficult part of the book was keeping the details in chronological order. It's a bit of a mystery. She doesn't have any memories, but she has 3 clues. As they slowly find answers, more questions arise. It felt a little overwhelming and I didn't want to repeat questions and answers too many times. Then, I had to make sure I gave all the answers to all the questions. I have read through the book so many times I think I have it memorized. LOL.

Any special appearances or events coming up that you want to mention?
Yes, I will be at the RT convention in Chicago in April. I will be signing at the ebook event. Stop by and say hello.

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them?
Lyrical Press is my publisher for my urban fantasy series. I searched for urban fantasy publishers and liked what Lyrical had to offer. The cover art and quality of work they have is excellent.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.



BLURB:
She's the only one of her kind. And she doesn’t even know her name.

Two investigators--one human, one vampire--find a young woman among a mass of dead bodies. She has no memories, and nothing but her clothes, two receipts, and a mysterious dagger carved with the initials ‘SB’.

As she seeks her identity, SB realizes she's unlike any other creature in the world, making her the most valuable person on the planet. And the most wanted.

EXCERPT for The Awakening:

“How long have you worked for your killer club?” I asked.

He glared at me. “Do you think we kill for fun?”

I stiffened. “No, but I do wonder if you enjoy it.”

He thrust his face in front of mine. His pupils dilated and the area around his eyes tightened. “I enjoy making sure no single race dominates. I’ve seen what happens when one overpopulates. I’ve seen an entire species almost wiped out. My actions are more than justified.”

My heart fluttered. He was pure strength and dominance. Oddly, I found myself attracted to him. He had a soft musky scent and perfect skin. Long eyelashes complimented his obsidian eyes.

I stared deep into his dark wells. “I’m not like you.”

“Who are you?” His eyes drifted down to my mouth and then back up.

“I wish I knew.”

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping back to my blog.

    Please look around. If you need anything reviewed in the mystery or historical fiction genre, send me an e-mail.

    Elizabeth

    Silver's Reviews

    silversolara AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting interview. Thank you for sharing the blurb and excerpt from the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I bought this book unsure of what to expect. I read the book description, thought, OK, not what I usually look for in a book, but I'll try it. Read the reviews (mostly 5 stars) and decided that maybe it's better than I was already starting to think.

    ReplyDelete