Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Larion Wills - Traps




AUTHOR: Larion Wills
BOOK TITLE: Traps
PUBLISHER: MuseItUp Publishing
BUY LINK: https://museituppublishing.com/bookstore2/index.php?keyword=Larion+Wills+&Search=Search&Itemid=1&option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse

1) Tell me a little about your book. 
Traps, contemporary suspense romance, is set in the 1970s in northwestern US, Oregon and Washington. Ward is a federal park ranger, and Callie is a wildlife photographer. They come together when Ward writes a book on wildlife, but the quality of the photos he took aren’t good enough for reproduction. The publisher talks Callie into leaving her self-imposed exile after a tragic personal loss to retake them, at Ward’s chagrin. He’s defensive and rude, she’s indifferent until the poacher Ward’s been after for months decides to take him out with a deadfall trap, leaving Callie to save his life.

2) What gave you the idea for this particular story?
Someone pounding on our door in the middle of the night, literally. A man we didn’t know had been out poaching and confronted by game and fish officers. Why he chose our house to pound on in the middle of the night to help him ‘escape’ was ironic. He’d seen a deer hanging, out of rifle season, and admired my husband’s guts, and just knew he was a kindred spirit. My husband is a bow hunter which has an earlier season than rifle. The incident did, however, demonstrate, how panicked a man can get when facing arrest. That man was hunting for meat, but as a result it brought poaching to my attention. Reading an article on it later, I was amazed to discover several things, beginning with the ‘killed on duty’ rate among game and fish officers is the highest in any law enforcement agency. Makes sense when you think of the weapons their perpetrators are carrying. The second thing that so astounded me was the intense degree of high profit poaching going on here in the US to make the job so dangerous. I’m not talking about the man who goes out of season and takes home a deer for venison in his freezer. I’m talking about the greed motivated people who slaughter endangered species, take choice pieces, and leave the meat to rot, who are destroying our natural resources here as blatantly as they do in in Africa. I could not, still cannot, wrap my head around reasons for the market being something archaic as believing bear gall enhances sexual performance. That was a rather long winded explanation of what set this story off in my head, but there it is.

3) Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?
Full time, sort of. A contradiction? As to my own writing, that’s pretty much part time since I began editing. Now my writing is worked in between my responsibilities to the publisher I edit for. It certainly has cut down on my personal productivity. As to organizing my time, hardly ever. Strickly seat of the pants. When I have time and no other commitments, I write.

4) When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?
As early as high school though it took me five or six  years to start putting things down on paper and nearly a life time to push myself into submitting.

5) What do you hope readers will take from your writing?
Enjoyment and a happy ever after feeling of everything ended right.  

6) Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?
I write all over the board from science fiction and fantasy to historical, nearly all romances. I read all over the board as well and whatever tickles my inagination at the moment is what ends up on paper.

7) What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?
Anymore it seems to be being interrupted. I just grin and bear it, wait until whatever the interruption is and get back to work.

8) Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it.
Ooop, already did that. See number one. No, wait, that was what started my interest in the subject the story is based on. Not quite the same thing. I have, however, been to the Steens Mountains in Oregon. Awesome place.

9) How much is your protagonist like you? How different?
Using Callie as the protagonist, I have to say I love the outdoors, and although I’ve always been interested in photography and dabbled in it, I’ve never pursued it seriously.

10) What kind of research did you do for this type of story?
Read and applied much of my own experiences in the great and wonderful forests.

11) Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not?
No to neither. I don’t think I can tell you why or why not other than both are a part of real life.

12) What about your book makes it special?
One thing is it’s giving the readers information about something that matters to all of us that they may not be aware of.

13) What is your marketing plan?
Loops and blogs, letting my readers know the new book is out there.

14) Where can people learn more about you and your work?
Oh, visit my website, please. http://www.larriane.com

15) Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?
Be sure of your facts, no matter what genre or time period. When I set out to write Traps, it wasn’t with the idea of educating people. That came to mind once I started researching to be certain that what facts I used were accurate and became more and more aware of the severity of the problem. I’m not saying to turn fiction into a documentary, but what facts you use, please make them accurate.

16) What’s in the future for you?
In May a re-release of my first historical western romance will be through MuseItUp Publishing. This summer and fall, also through MuseItUp Publishing, I switch from Larion to Larriane with two science fiction releases, The Bonds of Time and The Bastards of Ran. In July a re-relase of Evil Reflection through Secret Cravings Publishing. My WIP is a sequel to Mark of the Sire, Curse of the Sire. I’ve got a full year ahead of me and start 2013 by switching back to Larion with a new contemporary, The Wait for Red Roses.


BLURB:

Returning from war, Ward wanted as little to do with people as possible and retreated to the forest. As a park ranger in the 70s, he tolerated the people while protecting the animals. Avoiding people as much as possible, he wanted to take pictures, write a book on the wild life, and stop the poachers. Having his publisher saddled him with a woman to retake the pictures he spends weeks on was an insult. Having her save his life when he fell into a trap set by the poacher was embarrassing, especially when he fell for her harder than he’d fallen into that trap. Ward wanted to stop the poacher; the poacher wanted to kill him, and Callie was caught in the middle. Little did the poacher know, she was as capable of fighting back as Ward and a private war started.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you're putting a lot out there! Nice interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you both for stopping by, and Penny for having me. today turned out to be one of running errands with one vehicle down and in the shop for repair and the other doing double duty. now off to do what i should have gotten done this morning, letting my social sites know Penny's hosting me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larion, sorry to hear you had such an awful day. It was a pleasure having you here, though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. it ended quietly after one more unexpected errand. lol. got right back to editing as soon as dinner was done. ah, the life of a writer. writing is never done.

    ReplyDelete