Monday, April 23, 2012

Lisa Beth Darling, Obsession




AUTHOR: Lisa Beth Darling
BOOK TITLE: OBSESSION
PUBLISHER: Moon Mistress Publishing
BUY LINK: 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0063I60HU Kindle
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/lisa-beth-darling Nook

http://www.moonsmusings.com Publisher-Best Deal is here!

Please tell us about yourself? I’m a 45 year-old mother of two grown daughters, wife to Roy, my wonderful husband of 26 years. I live in my hometown of New London, CT.

Tell us your latest news? I just released my latest novel a very dark and very adult thriller entitled “OBSESSION”.

When and why did you begin writing? I started writing in the 4th grade that was when I was given my very creative writing assignment. I knew the second I put pen to paper that I would do this the rest of my life.

When did you first consider yourself a writer? At that moment.

What inspired you to write your first book? I penned my first novel in 7th grade; it too was a rather dark and adult chiller. “Save Me from the Roses” was the title. My peers loved it. The teachers and Guidance Counselor also loved it though they were very worried about me.  Here was this twelve year-old writing about highly adult topics in graphic detail. They thought I should be writing about unicorns and princesses or something like that.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? There’s only one echoing message in all of my books; no matter what life throws you at you, no matter how dark and dank it gets, there IS light at the end of the tunnel. You CAN get through. You CAN survive and more.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?  (Has anyone ever realized it?) Writers write what they know.  There are tons of real life experiences in my books. There are many characters based on real people that I’ve met or a conglomeration thereof. No, I don’t think anyone’s caught them. Not yet anyway.

What books have most influenced your life most?  We got forced into reading a lot of, what I consider, Snobby Literary Crap in junior high and high school, but I fell in love with “To Kill A Mockingbird” and “Of Mice and Men” along with all of the Greek Tragedies.  Oedipus Rex being my favorite in case no one out there could guess at that one!

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor? When I read for pleasure there’s only author that really does it for me, Stephen King.  In one way or another most of my stories have some small nod to Stephen King. “OBSESSION” is a huge nod to him; I even dedicated it to him.

What book are you reading now? What do you like, or not, about it?  I’ve been so busy writing, and my oldest daughter just got married that I haven’t had any time to read.

What are your current projects? I am about to resume work on my OF WAR Series with Book #3 “Child of War-Rising Son” which got put on hold in favor of “OBSESSION” much to the chagrin of some of my fans.  It’s due out at the end of September so I better get cracking.  I’ve been enjoying a few days respite between stories since finishing “OBSESSION”.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book? I might go back and make it harder-hitting.  I took out a lot of truly dark nasty stuff and swapped it out with other not-so-dark and nasty stuff. In my heart, I know there’s no way to make this novel appealing to the ‘mass audience,’ but I did try to tone it down in some places.  I’ve been kicking myself for it a little bit, but I suppose it’s always best to err on the side of caution, at least in some instances.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?  Love scenes can be challenging until I just let go and let the Muse take over. Battle scenes are particularly challenging. I hate doing those.  I write a lot of dark and intense material so dealing with that, keeping it real and true to the story can also be quite the challenge.

Do you ever have problems with writers block?  If so how do you get through it? Constantly. I seem to lack the will more than I have block. I seem to distrust myself more and more these days which makes me not even crack open the file.  Sometimes it’s a chore just to double-click and have the story appear on the screen.  Then my fingers and head feel like lead, and I tell myself it’s pointless.  BUT as soon as I tell myself to shut up and listen, I put those heavy fingers on the keys, close my eyes, and just start typing whatever’s coming then the ‘block’ goes away.  The Muse and I get cruising along, and before we know it, 3:30p.m.’s rolled around, and it’s time to start shutting down, get dinner going, clean up the house, and take care of family business for the rest of the night.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?  Currently I’m unemployed—anyone out there in my area looking for a good secretary? Drop me an email!  Being house bound is starting to drive me nuts.  I play a lot of Facebook games!

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work? Stephen King will always be my favorite.  I’ve spent 35 years taking that man to my bed late at night, and I’m not stopping now.  Maybe he’s a New Englander like me, but I just identify with his characters and his towns, the situations.  It’s almost like going home…to a rather dysfunctional warped home, yes, but home nonetheless.

What was the hardest part of writing your book? ‘Eddie’ the villain in “OBSESSION” is a major challenge.  I don’t know why the Muse picks me for such demented and twisted characters, but he does.  Living with ‘Eddie’ for several months was very difficult, and I know I turned into an absolute bear at times.  My poor family, with a writer, you just never know who you’re gonna get when you open your mouth to talk to them!

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? That it’s all right to dive into the dark because without it then you wouldn’t know the light.

Do you have any advice for other writers? Just keep doing what you do the way you do it.  This game isn’t about who sells the most books or who’s the most popular. In the end it’s really just between you and your Muse—your inspiration—just do the best you can with the tools you’re given and have fun along the way.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? Thanks for sticking with me! I know I’m not the most conventional person out there!

Any special appearances or events coming up that you want to mention?  When “Child of War-Rising Son” releases on 9/21/20121 there will be a Party on Olympus over on Literal Addiction.  Come as your favorite Olympian God/Goddess or character from Greek Mythology.  Togas are mandatory for entry but don’t expect them to stay on long!

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them?  For better or worse, I am my own publisher. I couldn’t get in with the ‘big guys’ because I am unconventional. I didn’t really fit with most of the ‘smaller guys,’ and although I was accepted at least four times by four different Internet Based Publishers, I decided the only right way for me to go was my own way.  So far I have no regrets but, ya know, if someone came knocking on my door with an offer, I wouldn’t necessarily turn them away either.  This one-woman-band thing is very daunting, time consuming, and tiring.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.




“OBSESSION” BLURB:

In a Small Town Secrets Are Kept and Then They Kill.

After the death of her husband, Helen Makris never expected to fall in love again until she met retired Colonel Kevin Smith. Both widowed for years the two unexpectedly meet in Helen's new hometown, the quaint New England Village, Tarrytown, Maine. All would be well if it weren't for the watchful eye of the Shaw Street Strangler who has his sights set on Helen.

In a grand homage to The Master, Stephen King, Lisa Beth Darling and Moon Mistress Publishing proudly invite you to take a rocketing no-holds-barred journey into the diseased mind of a madman with this ADULT Chiller/Thriller Horror Story with heavy Romantic Tendencies.

EXCERPT: 

The owner, Ursula Godsey, who plays bridge with Helen on Thursdays, smiles wide as she sees the two enter and then quickly makes her way over to them with a steaming pot of fresh coffee. "Mornin', Helen." Color rushes into her slightly chubby cheeks as she turns over the cups already on the table, she fills each without asking if any is wanted. "How you doin' on this fine mornin'? Pretty new necklace ya got there, this handsome fella give it to ya?"

"Fine, Ursula, just fine." For the second time Helen made the introduction, for the second time she thought it odd and for the first time wondered if it would get easier. "Ursula Godsey I'd like you to meet my boyfriend, Kevin Smith. Ursula here is a hell of a Bridge player and she makes the best pies in all of Maine."

"Oh, I dunno 'bout that, Helen, but I thank ya just the same." Ursula chimes with a wide grin before wiping her hand on her apron and holding it out, "Very nice to meet you, Mr. Smith, I've heard a lot about you at Thursday night Bridge." She feels almost giddy as a schoolgirl when his hand slips over hers. All the women had been talking about the tall dark and exceedingly handsome stranger since he made his arrival, which was late last summer/early fall and shortly before he hooked up with Helen Makris. On Thursdays nights, after Helen has one too many glasses of wine she loves to talk about him and the way he makes her feel. The married women cluck like hens over the thoughts and wicked ideas of him as they drink and laugh not caring much about who's winning the game.

"Good to meet you too, Ursula." Kevin lets her hand go and then looks over at Helen, "Been talking about me behind my back?"

"All good things, Mr. Smith, all good things," Ursula assures. "Now what can I get for the two of ya? Turkey's fresh, cold out there, good day for a hot open-faced sandwich, wouldn't ya say. I got a cherry pie that's just about ready to come out of the oven."

Suddenly Helen's stomach rumbles, "Sounds delightful, with fries, please," she takes a big sip off the coffee and motions for more, "you could just leave the pot if you want."

"Will do," Ursula settles the steaming pot on to the metal table with its fake but clean and shiny green granite veneer, "You sir, what can I get for you."

"That sounds good, I'll have the same."

"You got it," Ursula walks away happy to have finally made the acquaintance of Mr. Smith, she can't wait to tell the girls. Suddenly, Helen's chilly hand on her arm stops her.

"Any news?"

"Nah, none." Ursula pats Helen's hand knowing she's asking about Mary Sue and the Strangler. The poor girl worked the breakfast shift at the diner for the last two years as she saved up for college. It's easy to see Helen is worried just as the rest of them are concerned about poor Mary Sue. It was one thing when the corpses of unknown women started showing up but when it was a local girl, a sweet girl from right here in town, it all seemed to take on a deeper meaning. Somehow, the ridiculous idea that one of them might be a killer becomes all the more real when it smacks home so brightly. "No news is good news, isn't that what they say?"

"I guess."

"I'll get ya you're lunch. Be back in a jiff." Ursula wanders off with a reassuring squeeze of Helens' hand.



No comments:

Post a Comment