Monday, April 16, 2012

Live and Let Fly blog tour - Making a Trailer





It’s in the Pictures--What Images Do to a Trailer Script

by Karina Fabian


I get a kick out of making video trailers.  I made a half-dozen for Live and Let Fly from different angles—character, plot, teaser, even a review based one.  Please check out the trailer at the bottom of this post for my latest, Live and Let Fly.  However, today, I’m here to talk about book trailers themselves.

Visuals and music can make or break a book trailer video. They will set the tone, entice the viewer to stick around, and create a lasting impression. Rather than explain this ad nauseum, let me show you what I mean:

Maya had a destiny she didn't want
It tore her from her home
Her love
Her future
It forced a crown on her brow
And a stranger into her bed.
Will she sacrifice happiness to bring her land peace?

Let's make it a fantasy:

Maya had a destiny she didn't want
CASTLE
It tore her from her home
SHEEP FIELDS
Her love
BLOND FARMER
Her future
PEASANT TODDLER
It forced a crown on her brow
            STANDARD ROYAL CROWN
And a stranger into her bed.
HANDSOME PRINCE
Will she sacrifice happiness to bring her land peace?

Now let's make it a pirate book!

Maya had a destiny she didn't want
CLIPPER SHIP
It tore her from her home
17TH CENTURY STREET WITH A TAVERN OR STORE
Her love
DAPPER MAN IN A SUIT
Her future
LADY SERVING TEA
It forced a crown on her brow
A PIRATE'S HAT
And a stranger into her bed.
CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW TYPE
Will she sacrifice happiness to bring her land peace?
SHIPS AT BATTLE

How about an urban fantasy?

Maya had a destiny she didn't want
MEDIEVAL OR FANTASY LANDSCAPE
It tore her from her home
MODERN CITY
Her love
MODERN GUY
Her future
PICK SOMETHING--ACADEMIA, MODELING, HIGH-POWERED BUSINESS
It forced a crown on her brow
TIARA
And a stranger into her bed.
GOOD-LOOKING ELF-TYPE
Will she sacrifice happiness to bring her land peace?

Now for the fun of it, let's do a comedy:

Maya had a destiny she didn't want
BIG, FORMIDABLE, BORING CASTLE
It tore her from her home
POOLSIDE
Her love
CHIHUAHUA
Her future
MAKE-UP COUNTER AT J C PENNY'S OR MARY KAY
It forced a crown on her brow
GIRL DUCKING A CROWN
And a stranger into her bed.
HOTTIE ON THE BED WITH A COME-ON LOOK--PREFERABLY ONE THAT LOOKS CREEPY AND NOT ENTICING
Will she sacrifice happiness to bring her land peace?
GIRL RUNNING AND THE CAPTION--HECK NO!
Book title and caption: Because Destiny is Overrated!

What do your images say about your book?

Karina, thank you for walking us through creating a book trailer.  To see a finished trailer Karina has created, check it out here:




BLURB:

For a dragon detective with a magic-slinging nun as a partner, saving the worlds gets routine. So, when the US government hires Vern and Sister Grace to recover stolen secrets for creating a new Interdimensional Gap--secrets the US would like to keep to itself, thank you—Vern sees a chance to play Dragon-Oh-Seven.
No human spy, however, ever went up against a Norse goddess determined to exploit those secrets to rescue her husband. Sigyn will move heaven and earth to get Loki—and use the best and worst of our world against anyone who tries to stop her.
It's super-spy spoofing at its best with exotic locations (Idaho--exotic?), maniacal middle-managers, secret agent men, teen rock stars in trouble, man-eating animatronics, evil overlords and more!


EXCERPT:

Charlie started to close the door behind us, his other hand gripping the handle of his dagger so tightly I could hear the leather wrap on the handle strain, as we listened to the footsteps coming our way, slow, bored. My predator's instincts rose; then I had a great idea. I shook my head at Charlie and winked, and he shuffled out of my way, leaving the door ajar. I settled myself with my back to the door, just inside the shadows and let the script play itself out:

CLUELESS MINION enters Stage Left. He pauses, hearing a noise, but does not report it. Instead, he fondles the stars on his nametag and moves toward the empty hallway, his mind on adding another. (Probably saying, "I was proactive today!")
CLUELESS pauses at door, hesitating. He stands and, back to the door, reaches for his walkie-talkie.
Suddenly, a well-muscled and gorgeously scaled tail whips out from the crack in the door and wraps itself around his neck. He only has time to grab ineffectively at the tail before he's drawn into the darkness. The door shuts behind him.
Pan shot of the empty hallway.
FADE TO BLACK

I slammed my victim on the floor and pinned him with my forelegs, then I leaned my face in nice and slow, making sure he got a good look at my fangs before he saw my eyes. "Where's the girl?" I growled low and menacingly.
"Wh-What g-g-girl?"
Charlie crouched down by Stutterboy and glanced at his nametag. "Look, Philip, we're in a bit of a hurry. We know Rhoda Dakota's being held captive somewhere nearby. Now you can be a good survivor and tell us where…or you can be dinner."
"I-I don't—"           
"Phil A. Minion." I mused and drooled a bit for effect. I live for these moments, I really do. I licked his cheek and asked Charlie, "Can I have fries with that?"
"Why not? This is Idaho."



BIO:

Winner of the 2010 INDIE for best Fantasy (Magic, Mensa and Mayhem) and a Mensa Owl for best fiction (World Gathering), Karina Fabian’s writing takes quirky twists that keep her--and her fans--amused. Nuns working in space, a down-and-out Faerie dragon working off a geas from St. George,  zombie exterminators—there’s always a surprise in Fabian’s worlds. Mrs. Fabian teaches writing and book marketing seminars online. 


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me today, Penny! Last night, I finished a new video book trailer for Live and Let Fly. Will share once I have the purchase link. Launch day--April 20! Squee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, Karina, it's a pleasure to have you back and to hear more about Sister Grace and Vern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karina! Thanks for sharing about book trailers. I checked out the book trailer for Live and Let Fly - very nice.


    Susanne
    PUTTING WORDS DOWN ON PAPER

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Susanne. I have several. I got creative this time and did them from many angles.

    ReplyDelete