Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Born of Blood, S. B. Knight




AUTHOR: SB Knight
BOOK TITLE: Born of Blood
PUBLISHER: MuseItUp Publishing

Please tell us about yourself?
I am a passionate, driven individual. I like making goals and achieving them. My faith and family are top priorities in my life. I can honestly say I have a hard time doing nothing but I do slow down every now and then. I like to help others succeed just as much as I want to succeed. In the end, I’m pretty much an open book, what you see is what you get. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been told “you really are like this, you’re not pretending or anything.” I take that as a compliment.  All of these aspects came into play when I first started writing Born of Blood and still hold true now.

Tell us your latest news?
My latest news…well, the sequel to Born of Blood is in editing right now and is scheduled for release in October. I would love to be able to share that my third novel is under contract but I’m waiting to hear on that. Born of Blood has been out for just about two months and I’m very hopeful that it will soon be released in paperback.
Born of Blood is doing very well as a debut novel and I continue to promote that. I have another week long blog event scheduled for July on the Vampire Book Realm that I am looking forward to.

When and why did you begin writing?
I began seriously writing about 5 or so years ago. I played around with writing for about 3 to 4 years before that. When I first started writing it was little sayings and short poems just for the sake of writing. I found it therapeutic at a time when life was more than tough. My first novel was more venting with words than actually writing to entertain. That was a tremendous help as it flushed out all of those thoughts, memories, and possible distractions so my true voice could come through and be heard.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
This is an interesting question. I suppose some would say when my poetry was published for the first time. That was quickly followed by a short story. Many considered me a writer about six months into my blog, The New Author. To be completely honest, you can disregard everything I just wrote for this question. I considered myself a writer when I penned a poem about my dad and it was read by the pastor at his funeral. That was the first time any of my work had ever been shared with an audience of any kind. That poem is special is so many ways.

What books have most influenced your life most?
The Bible would be first on this list. In regards to fictional work that influenced my storytelling, that would be The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien, The Shannara Series by Terry Brooks, and The Wheel of Time by the late Robert Jordan.

What book are you reading now? What do you like, or not, about it?
This is an exciting time for me because I am a beta reader for J. Thorn’s current novel. I consider it a privilege to be in a group that gets the opportunity to read a novel first and provide helpful feedback. It is still a work in progress but he has a really good story developing with this one.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
LOL, there is a large number of up and coming authors in MuseItUp Publishing. As I mentioned above, J. Thorn is another to watch for.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
A large number of people told me a portion of my life would make for a great book. That planted the seed but during that time I was writing in a journal and I noticed that some of my entries had a rhythm to it. I played around with it until poetry came forth. Regarding novels and short stories, that came about when my son constantly asked me to tell him stories of when I was young while we went on family walks. My wife suggested that I write those down. In a way I have, they are incorporated in my novels.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?
Oh I do the normal husband, handy man stuff around the house. I play basketball and I’m a Cub Scout leader for my son’s pack. I read and watch movies. I enjoy gardening (especially the eating part of it). Did I mention that I have a full time job as a Civil Engineer? Yea, that keeps me busy during the week.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
Absolutely! I learned that I can, indeed, write a complete novel. That is an accomplishment in itself. I also learned what I am strong at writing and what I need to work on. I noticed my voice and where it can be heard the loudest and weakest. All these things help me improve my craft while writing the next novel. I don’t think I will ever stop learning about my writing.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
First, thank you for reading Born of Blood! Second, get ready because there is more from SB Knight just over the horizon.

Any special appearances or events coming up that you want to mention?
May 30th I will be on the Scifi/fantasy writer blog talk radio show. From July 2 through July 6 I will be conducting a week long blog event on The Vampire Book Realm website. I will have other dates that you can find out about on my website.

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them?
My publisher is MuseItUp Publishing. I first connected with Lea during her online writer’s conference a few years ago. I admit to lurking in the shadows for the first 10 or so months she started the publishing company to see what was going to happen. I saw really good things and wanted to be a part of it.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.

Twitter - @thenewauthor


EXCERPT:

Born of Blood

Book One of the Blood Chronicles


Chapter One
~Year 1573~

The rider’s head swiveled as she searched the hillside for any sign of pursuit. Wet mud flew high in the air from her horse’s hoofs as they thundered down the rutted trail. She shifted her eyes for a split second to look at the bundle snugly bound against her midsection.
“Just a little further now,” she whispered.
The cold night air whistled past her ears, but sweat continued over her brow. The barren trees reached out with their finger-like limbs, threatening to rip her off her mount. At the last second, she swerved her horse down a side path. A glimmer of light in the distance called to her, and a burst of speed brought the weary rider to a ramshackle farmhouse with a single light glowing from a lone window.
            The smoke from the fire was a welcoming sign of warmth as she approached the door. A soft knock, and it cracked opened. An old woman gazed beyond the traveler’s shoulder for a moment until she stepped aside and waved her in.
“You sure you weren’t followed girl?” a gray-haired man asked from a seat in the corner next to the fire.
“Yes, I’m sure,” the rider replied as she dropped her saddlebag on the table.
The old woman shut and latched the door. “Now, Pa, leave her be. She’s been on a long ride.”
“Well, if’n she was followed, it will be for naught.”
“I said I wasn’t followed.”
Pa stared at the girl for a moment and nodded before repacking his pipe with tobacco. “Then move over here to the fire and warm your bones.” He indicated the hearth.
Elizabeth stood close to it and absorbed the warmth into her stiff fingers. As she warmed, she removed her hat, scarf, and cloak, but the bundled blanket remained against her midsection. I hope I’m doing the right thing. She turned to the old couple.
“I know this is a burden on you. There are some supplies in the saddlebag. It’s not much, but it will last a few days.”
“That witch has done enough horror in these parts, so it’s the least we can do.” Pa spat.
“Well, let’s have a look,” requested Ma.
Elizabeth detached the bundle and handed it to her. With experienced hands, she pulled back a portion of the blanket. The angelic face of a sleeping baby girl greeted her.
“Oh, isn’t she darlin’.” Ma cooed at the babe. “Come look, Pa.”
Pa moved around the table and stared at the baby.
“I’d say that’s a baby, all right.” With that, he moved back to his seat.
“Never you mind him. I know him like my own hand, and he loves this little bundle already.”
Elizabeth gave a slight smile. “I knew she would do well here, but mind the countess will never stop looking for her once she figures things out.”
“You think she will?” Ma asked.
Elizabeth bundled up for the journey back. “I’m positive,” she exclaimed as she walked out into the night.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice interview. You seem to be what I call a no nonsense author, Mr. Knight. You write because you love it. I am with you on the Lord of the Rings. I am interested to know your thoughts on Game of Thrones. Keep up the good work and I adore the cover.

    Viviane
    http://www.vivianebrentanos.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Viviane - Thank you. The Game of Thrones series is an interesting one. I believe George R.R. Martin would have done even better if he had not waited so long between books. To be honest, my favorite character was Jon. I would put Martin in the same group as Jordan in that they both write with a great deal of detail. That can drag a story at times but they manage it well. What are your thoughts about Game of Thrones?

    ReplyDelete