Monday, May 7, 2012

Kathleen Allen, Lore of Fei




AUTHOR: Kathleen S. Allen
BOOK TITLE: LORE OF FEI
PUBLISHER: MuseItUp Publishing
BUY LINK:

Please tell us about yourself? My name is Kathleen S. Allen and I have been writing since I was eight years old. I remember putting together a “book” of poems I wrote for family members at holiday time. I hand copied---in my best printing I might add---enough copies for everyone. I even made a book jacket out of construction paper and tied it with a bit of red ribbon. One of my mom’s friends commented that I should be a writer when I grew up. At the time I wanted to be a ballerina though.

Tell us your latest news? My Young Adult fantasy novel, LORE OF FEI has been recently published by Muse It Up Publishing. It’s a faerie novel, the tagline is: Faeries versus humans, who will win?

When did you first consider yourself a writer? I’m still waiting for that day to happen. LOL.

What are your current projects? I have a Young Adult Dystopian called THE VIDDEN. It has zombies in it. I am obsessed with zombies right now. My favourite TV show is The Walking Dead on AMC. I also just finished another zombie book about a witch who brings back the boy she has a crush on. That one is lighter. I entered it into a contest so we’ll see. I am working on the second book to LORE OF FEI and am about halfway done. I’m supposed to write a short story about dragons for an anthology but haven’t started it yet.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing? Doing a line-by-line edit is tough! I tend to read fast and it galls me to read word-by-word looking for errors. I tend to speed read which means skimming and you can’t do that when you are doing a line edit. I know it’s necessary but I don’t enjoy doing it.

Do you ever have problems with writers block?  If so how do you get through it? I don’t know that I would call it writers block but I do have moments when I can’t think of where to go with a plot or character. I have to let it go for a few days and get back to it later on. Sometimes I drop it completely and never go back to it. Those are the stories that I think are not meant to be.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing? I read a novel a day. I read mysteries and Young Adult books. I also teach online and work part time. I have two cats, one is a Tortoiseshell with a “talk to the paw” attitude who is very sassy and one is a Himalayan/Siamese who is a princess or rather queen. She expects to be served. And why not? She’s gorgeous and she knows it.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work? Anne McCaffery is one of my favourite authors. She writes the Dragonrider series among others. My faves are the Harper Hall Trilogy, The Crystal Singer trilogy and The Ship Who Sang. I also like the Dragonriders of Pern.  Her writing pulls you in the moment you begin reading and you care about the characters right away. I aspire to write like her but know that no one can ever write like her. She’s Anne McCaffery.
What was the hardest part of writing your book? The hardest part is world building when you are doing a fantasy novel. I had to keep a running list of who was what, what class of faerie they belonged to, a list of faerie words and a glossary to translate them. In this novel I have three main places and each one had to be a bit different from the other.  Keeping track of who did what and their goals was difficult. The faeries have one goal, the humans have another goal and there are individual goals of the main characters, too. I tend to use Post-It Notes when I write and you should see my file! It’s full of little sticky notes.
Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

Do you have any advice for other writers? My advice is to keep going. It takes years to perfect your craft and the more you write, the better you are. It’s also important to have objective readers who can give you feedback on what’s not working, stale dialogue, broken plot points and so forth. Join writing organizations and put up your work for others to critique. Keep writing. Every day. No matter what.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? Thanks for your support. I started publishing my novels on Kindle/Nook/Smashwords last spring in 2011 and I’ve come so far thanks to my readers! I’ve had great reviews written by readers who have enjoyed my books and I appreciate those! One of the best ways to help an author out is to put up a positive review for them. It not only helps the author to know someone is actually reading their books but it helps other readers to connect to books they might like to read. I also want to say thanks to all my followers on Twitter and Facebook. I have over 1,000 likes at my author page and I try and update it every day with writing news. I enjoy interacting with readers online.

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them? One of my publishers is Muse It Up Publishing and I found them by looking at a list of small publishers.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.
Find me here:
Find Kathleen on Twitter: @kathleea
Guest blogger every 5th and 19th of the month on www.downtownya.blogspot.com





LORE OF FEI BLURB:
All Ariela wants is for her wings to grow in, but her Age of Maturity arrives, and she’s still wingless. Not only is this disappointing, it’s also dangerous. Her parents struggle to hide her deformity, but rumors spread to the ears of Kel, Warlord of Kel’s Lair. In one horrific night, Kel’s warriors murder her parents and take her away from Fei, the land of the faeries to be enslaved by the humans.
          The Veil of Enclosure, a mist like substance that separated their world from Hege, the land of the humans is dissolving. This allows the humans to enter Fei and steal faerie children to make them their slaves. In the faerie Book of Lore there is a legend that a silver winged faerie will be born to repair the Veil. But no such faerie has been born. Ariela’s deformity allows her to pass among the humans as one of them. She is the last hope of the faerie race.  The Faerie Council is relying on her to rescue the faerie children and restore the Veil of Enclosure. All she has to do is figure out how.

EXCERPT:

    I ventured closer to the Book. It lay open, and the pages illustrated with gold, glowed. Faerie magic. “Do not touch the pages. The oil from your fingers will destroy the magic,” Sunvi said as he handed me a pair of cloth covers for my hands. I slipped them on as I stepped closer to the Book. It was written in the Old Language, a language I had not known I knew until now. The symbols on the page spoke to me.
    “The Fate of the Faeries,” I read aloud. I stole a glance at Mire who smiled at me to go on. “There is a faerie who will be born with silver wings. This faerie will repair the Veil of Enclosure that protects and encompasses Fei, the land of the faeries. The silver-winged faerie will come when the Veil of Enclosure has begun to disintegrate and dissolve. This is a sign that the faeries are in danger of extinction. The magic will have begun to diminish, and they will no longer be immortal. Only a silver-winged girl will save Fei from annihilation.”
I stopped. I heard about the silver-winged faerie. Tales were told of her. Each time a faerie mother gave birth, the wings were inspected for hints of silver. So far no silver-winged faerie had been born, and yet the Veil of Enclosure had begun to disappear.
“Keep on, girl,” Gan said. “I did not know you knew the Old Language.”
“I did not know I knew it either,” I said as I bent back over the Book. “The War between the Humans and the Land of Fei will destroy the faeries. This must not happen. The war must be stopped, and only faerie magic can make it stop.”
I looked up and saw six pairs of eyes staring at me. I dropped my gaze back to the Book. “The silver-winged faerie will stop the war and bring peace and harmony back to Fei. She will be revered among all faeries and honored for all time.”
I turned the page with my cloth-covered finger, taking care with the fragile pages.  “She will sing the songs of enchantment when the humans are asleep; then bind them with faerie magic and destroy them before they awake. Only this will save Fei.”

LORE OF FEI Excerpt

No comments:

Post a Comment