Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Killarney Sheffield, Inventing Love




AUTHOR: Killarney Sheffield
BOOK TITLE: Inventing Love
PUBLISHER: MuseItUp Publishing
BUY LINK: Releases June 30th.  Pre-order discount at MuseItUp Bookstore!

1) Tell me a little about your book. Inventing Love is my first attempt at a steampunk and is still along the same lines as my usual historical romances.

2) What gave you the idea for this particular story? I had this unfinished WIP about a female inventor in the early 1800's. I was in the Muse Authors forum one day and the head cover artist mentioned how much she wanted to do a steampunk cover. I Wikied 'steampunk' and realized I could easily tweek the story into a steampunk and so it became one. Incidentally, tooting my own horn here, it was the first steampunk accepted by MuseItUp Publishing.

3) Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?I suppose I am a part time writer, though I juggle many occasional jobs such as horse trainer, farrier, riding coach and recently newspaper reporter and columnist.

4) When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?I started writing in high school but was told in grade 12 that I was dyslexic. My dreams of being a horse vet were over but with the invention of spell checkers my dreams of writing were kept alive.

5) What do you hope readers will take from your writing?  I hope they escape into an earlier time to get away from their everyday stresses like the phone ringing and the kids fighting. I also hope they end up with the hope of finding love in any situation. That is the Libra in me I suppose, always a hopeless romantic.

6) Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why? Mostly historical romance. Why? Well, because I would have loved to live back in those days, the gallantry and pageantry back then just makes me sigh.

7) What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it? The days when I just want to play on the internet and not write! I currently have 11 WIPs going between 2 and 15 chapters.

8) Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it. Not a thing! LOL!

9) How much is your protagonist like you? How different? Alexandra or Alex as everyone calls her is one of those spunky, don't care what anyone thinks kind of gals but deep down inside, like me she really cares.

10) What kind of research did you do for this type of story? I had to learn about steampunks and steam powered machines.

11) Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not? I love the action scenes! Give me a high speed horse chase, a duel or a damsel in distress and I am hooked! A plain romance just bores me, I need more to chew on.

12) What about your book makes it special? It is my first ever steampunk. LOL!

13) Where can people learn more about you and your work? Http://author-killarney-sheffield.spruz.com

14) What’s in the future for you? My dream is to someday write a novel for Avon or Zebra, meet Lawrence Gowan in person to thank him for the music and make the NYT Best Sellers list. Big goals I know, but so was getting a piece of Gowan's music and I accomplished that.



Alexandra Evans is a female inventor. Unusual, unconventional,
assertive, and definitely not a lady. Lord Weston Grendal is your
typical London gentleman. Dependable, stiff, stuffy and out of place
in America. When they are thrown together to build a killing machine
they must decide if the price of the innocent is worth their own
freedom. Together they can re-invent love, but apart? Does love stand
a chance?

Excerpt:

He strolled by her and picked up another crate. “The name is Weston. I
am a military strategist.”

“Really?” Alexandra observed him through new eyes.

“Really.” He headed for the door with his load and stacked it neatly
on top of the first one.

“I never figured you for the intelligent type,” Alex smirked. He
certainly didn't seem the type, though if truth be told he didn't seem
any type, just plain, boring and unassuming.

He glanced at her and frowned, the look in his eyes frosty and
guarded. “Strange, I never figured you for the intelligent type
either.”

Maybe he wasn't as dull as she first thought. “That is typical of your
gender I suppose. Men always underestimate a lady. Rest assured, my
lord, we are not all swooning, confections of lace and ruffles, you
know. Some of us actually have intellect.” She bit her lip, not
meaning it to come across quite as sarcastic as it sounded.

With a shrug he crossed the room and picked up another crate. Alex
finished sorting the pile then tossed the parts she wanted to take in
another one. After nailing the lid in place she began to scoop the
undesirable pieces into a pile. She glanced at Weston as he walked
back and forth carrying the heavy wooden boxes. “Everyone calls me
Alex.”

He paused, lifting an eyebrow. “Everyone?”

“My father.” She hated to admit she really didn't know anyone on a
personal level.

“I see.” He continued with his job. “And your friends?”

“I don't have any...that is to say most people don't appreciate a
woman who is confident and speaks her mind.”

“I see.” He grinned “In other words people see you as an oddball of sorts.”
Arms akimbo she scowled at him. “You would work faster if you
refrained from making ill-informed observations.” Again he grinned and
headed for another box. The man is an arrogant rake. Imagine having
the gall to...she sniffed...point out the obvious. She sighed and
headed for the shelf of uncompleted and non-working inventions.
Lovingly she touched each of her father's projects she had not the
heart to toss out or try to get working on her own. Her fingers came
away coated in dust and grime. She would crate them up and take them
with her, rather than part with the reminder of him, she decided.

6 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading your book, Killarney. It sounds wonderful. Best of luck with your career. Hi, Penny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Eleven WIP's! I can barely keep up with 2 or three!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joylene and Cheryl, thanks for stopping to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for having me again Penny, I always enjoy chatting on your blog. I think I'm past 15 wips now LOL! I just finished polishing a historical romance called 'Through Gypsy Eyes' and am polishing my next one 'Love's Magic'. (Each has their own youtube video already). I am also working on my first full length historical/erotica. (I have a short in the Lacey's Lamp series under Kelli Key). And I am also working on my first Sci fi/romance. I discovered something interesting recently. I thought I couldn't write any other genre but romance but then I realized I can write any genre as long as it has romantic elements LOL, so off I went. (: The thing I really enjoyed about writing 'Inventing Love' is the fact that I could have a little fun and invent a very 'improper' 1800's woman, as you know regency and victorian women were very much bound by the rules of lady-like behavior. I really love the fact that Alex (Alexandra) just says exactly what she thinks and feels, so out of character for women of her time. A real modern gal for the 1800s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope to be one of the lucky ones to receive the ebook. I absolutely love Christmas in July!

    mrstatertot@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, Mrstatertot, there is no contest on this page, but there is one on the next post. I'll copy and paste for you!

    ReplyDelete