Friday, August 24, 2012

Maxine Douglas, Rings of Paradise




AUTHOR: Maxine Douglas
BOOK TITLE: Rings of Paradise
PUBLISHER: MuseItUp Publishing

Why don't you start with telling us a little about yourself? What genre do you write in and why?

I lead a pretty boring, everyday life.  I’m a retired legal secretary, grandma to two beautiful granddaughters who couldn’t be any more different…LOL. I’m happily married to a high school friend who found me eleven years ago; up until then I was a single mom trying to make ends meet. I started writing after a friend’s sister became published—Cori Deyoe aka Jessica Barkly—and I just decided if she could do it so could I.  Of course, it’s not as easy as it seems…not by a long shot!

I currently live in Oklahoma trading the long cold winters of the north for the more comfortable winters of the southwest. My husband and I have two horses (one of which is actually my youngest granddaughter’s but her mom rides her all the time), and a German Shorthaired Pointer who is anything but a hunting/bird dog.

I write what I enjoy reading—romance. I do have one or two contemporaries, but I much rather enjoy writing paranormal. There’s something about the unknown that really attracts me. Yes, I do watch Ghost Hunters!

Tell me about your current book which you are promoting.

Rings of Paradise centers around professional wrestling.  Shadoe is the reigning champion, doesn’t trust women, and is tired of his profession being seen as a circus. He ends up buying a small, never heard of magazine, then hires a copy editor who is craving to be a journalist. Khristen proves to be the match of a lifetime and not one either of them was looking for or even desired.  Rings will be released on August 24 by Muse It Up Publishing (www.museituppublishing.com)

How long have you been writing?
Since the 1980s I believe. I worked full-time, so used every moment I could--lunch, breaks, after supper, before bed. My first book was a story centered around the time I lived in Nashville and the friends I knew in “the business.”
What got you interested in writing, and what inspired you to write your first book?
I took creative writing classes and found I loved it. However, I had dreams of being a songwriter, so I wrote mostly lyrical poems. Cori Deyoe really inspired me to continue what I started in high school and pen my first romance.
Do you outline before you write? If not, what’s your initial process?

I’m a pantser, meaning I write by the seat of my pants. I always start with some kind of idea and/or characters that fuel the fire to move on.  I’ve had to go back and rewrite the beginning of books because my characters decided I wasn’t telling their story right. LOL

However, I’m looking forward to penning my first romantic suspense and will HAVE to do some sort of outline. I have a feeling it’ll be the best of both worlds by the time I’m done.

What comes first: the plot or the characters?
Depends on what has sparked the story.  Sometimes it can be a picture of a story in a magazine.  For example, there was a picture of women’s roller derby on the front of a weekly magazine in my hometown. I noticed it as I was walking into the cafeteria at work during lunch. By the time I got through the line with my lunch in hand, I had a premise in my head, went back and grabbed the magazine. I’ve been collecting information since that time as I would like that to be my first romantic suspense.
What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Discipline to sit down and write. I’m what they call a “muse” writer, meaning if my muse isn’t knocking on my shoulder and then my head, I’m not writing. I’m trying to get better at that and set time aside, but old habits are hard to break. However, when I’m in the groove, almost nothing can stop me and I can actually get things done.
Did your book require a lot of research?
Rings did require some research, but I’d been to enough wrestling matches—yes I had my favorites such as Tommy “Wildfire” Rich and Bret “The Hit Man” Hart—not to mention the pay-per-views and tv shows.

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
I spend time with my family and friends. Being new to Oklahoma, I’m lucky that our oldest moved here a couple of years before we did…although the other three are in Wisconsin, and we miss them. I’m still working on making new friends, and we have found some in the couple where are horses are stabled. They are from Montana/South Dakota and understand why we would leave the snow country.
I just bought one of their QH cutting horses, so I’m looking forward to the bonding part of getting to know the mare. She’s got a foal on her side right now and one “in the oven.” We brought a Paint here with us, and she’s totally bonded with our daughter-in-law.
What so you see for the future of publishing and e-books?

I’m glad to see the big houses have expanded into e-books and aren’t being left in the dust. However, I don’t think enough credit is being given to the small publishing houses who never abandoned the e-book.  It’s obvious with the growth of e-readers, tablets, and such that e-books are here to stay.

Do I think print will totally go away?

I don’t believe so, at least not in my lifetime.

What are your current books out right now, and what are the books coming up for
release?



Maxine Douglas
Rings of Paradise: 


Dear Reader,
I’m not much on putting words to paper, action is more up my alley. I’m Flame, the reigning champion in the Universal Wrestling World (UWW). So why am I here?


I grew up in a wrestling family and cut my teeth on the squared circle, which by the way is the only “lady” I trust any more.


I’ve gone and bought out a small press magazine in Madison, Wisconsin that was going nowhere fast, hired a woman by the name of Khristen Roberts, who according to the editor-in-chief is untrained and wants nothing more than to be a journalist.


Okay, I’m a sucker in helping people out, it’s my one weakness, if I have any. Problem is she’s on vacation in Hawaii. I’ve got to catch up with her somewhere along the line for her to join up with me and the UWW. I just hope Khristen is up for the ride…it’s always a trip.


Yours truly,
The Flame


Knight to Remember: 


In 15th Century England, The Black Knight a/k/a Sir Reynold, has fallen from grace with his childhood friend, Queen Isabel, and is in a no-win situation. He must compete against his friend, and blood brother Thomas. If he wins, Sir Reynold will be banished from Heartsease; if he loses, Thomas will be stripped of his knighthood…


Courtney Parker is a 21st Century seamstress at the Bristol Renaissance Faire. Unlike other reenactors, she performs her profession year-round, making costumes for others. She's always loved the story of the mysterious Black Knight of Heartsease and has looked forward to it every year. But this year’s different…


Issie Cummings, the Ren Faire’s potion shopkeeper, will stop at nothing to gain what escaped her centuries ago...Sir Reynold Loddington’s love and body.


Will Reynold be able to turn back the hands of time and right what went wrong—or will he find himself banned from another country and the woman he loves?


Buy/Excerpt: http://museituppublishing.com/bookstore2/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=421&category_id=60&manufacturer_id=212&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1


Writing as Debi Wilder:
By the Blue Moon, Book 1 Blue Moon Magic Series: 


Chastity Lynne Langford's turning 34, and she's suddenly, inexplicably, fascinated with sex. Office, elevator, whereever, she can't get enough. Chastity doesn't know her thirst for sex isn't human; but she's about to find out. Because Chastity is the eldest of three prophesied princesses of the Elite werewolf clan and come this Blue Moon, she'll either be mated...or taken.

Justin Matthew Sinclair has been promised the eldest daughter of the Elite clan…a clan of superior werewolves, more human than werewolf.

Highly intelligent and well adapted, Justin and the clan have lived among the humans for centuries; they live for the season of the Blue Moon. It's coming, and with it the rite of passage where Justin will claim his lifemate, Chastity, or die trying to protect her.

For there are other clans, less well-adapted,more werewolf than human, and of these, the Betas are the lowest. Their leader, Rowan hates the Elites and is determined to destroy them. He believes that only the prophesied princesses of the Elite clan can bring them into the human world they only see from the Brey Forest, and the ritual night of the Blue Moon provides just the opportunity he needs to claim Chastity.

Buy:  www.loose-id.com
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/By-Blue-Moon-Magic-ebook/dp/B003ZDP0HW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343530302&sr=8-2&keywords=debi+wilder


Gabby’s Second Chance:


Gabby Adams did the unthinkable – she put her unborn child in harms way and lost. While Ryan Peterson was fleeing the thugs he owed money to for horse betting, Gabby placed herself physically between the man she loved and the men who wanted to harm him. Gabby feels she’s undeserving to give her love to anyone, physically or emotionally. With ghosts laid to rest and Lacey’s help, will Gabby find love in the arms of another man?
Buy/Excerpt: http://museituppublishing.com/bookstore2/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=298&category_id=60&manufacturer_id=137&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1


Blue Moon Magic Series (print only):


With the season of the Blue Moon comes the likelihood of danger and death. The Beta clan and lowest form of werewolves is commanded by Rowan, a tough, bitter werewolf who hates the Elites and their superiority. The Betas, more werewolf than human, believe only the foretold red or blonde-haired girl babies born to the Elite clan in a span of 3 years would bring them into a world they only look at from the depths of the Brey Forest. The night of the Blue Moon would afford them the perfect opportunity to take the the sisters...


What advice would you give a new writer just starting out?

Never, ever stop writing…if it is truly what you want to do. You will find your characters talking to you at the post inopportune times and in the strangest places, and that’s okay and all part of the process.  Find an organization where you can learn your craft. I would suggest Romance Writers of America (http://www.rwa.org/) to find a local writers group and/or Electronic Publishing Industry Coalition (http://www.epicorg.com/). Also check your local tech schools or university extensions for writing classes, and never miss an opportunity to attend conferences. They will help you learn your craft, then perfect it, and you’ll meet wonder soon to be published authors like yourself as well as those who have paved the road for you.

Where can people learn more about you and your work?



Thank you Penny for asking me here today! I’ve loved sharing with your readers and hope they have enjoyed my stay. 

Hugs, Maxine.

1 comment:

  1. Nice interview! Sounds like some good reads!

    ReplyDelete