Monday, September 24, 2012

Carrie Green, Violets are Blue




AUTHOR: Carrie Green
BOOK TITLE: Violets Are Blue

Why don't you start with telling us a little about yourself? What genre do you write in and why?

I write horror.  I find it the most expressive and creative of genres in terms of limitations—there really are none.  I think that I enjoy shocking people and taking them for a ride.  Horror is also the genre that I most enjoy reading, so that it was a natural fit. 

Tell me about your current book which you are promoting.

I'm currently promoting three books, 'Roses Are Red,' 'Violets Are Blue' and 'Sugar Is Sweet,' which are two short story collections and one novella to introduce my work before the publication of my full length novel, 'Walk A Lonely Street.'


How long have you been writing?

I've written my entire life.  I was encouraged to write stories at an early age by my grandmother, a published poet and novelist.  I recall examining her books long before I could read—ah, the glamour of the author photo on the back cover—I wanted to be a published author, just like her, for as long as I could remember. 

What comes first: the plot or the characters? 

For me it can be anything, a plot situation, a character, a snippet of dialogue—there are many sources of inspiration to build a story and really it's all about what moves you to write. 

You've actually asked the classic 'chicken or egg' question. 

It's sort of like asking a designer what comes first in designing a room—some go with curtains, bed linens, pillows, paint color, or a room's existing architectural details…

That said, I do believe that if you're an author who always goes with plot, or character, first, that you'll have a distinct type of writing style, best suited for specific genres.  Mysteries are clearly driven by plot, for example, while literary novels focus more upon character development.  Horror, can be either one, it's the most flexible of genres.

In the end, I think that genre must be the first decision that an author makes, as that will determine where you'll then focus your attention and pursue inspiration.

Which of your characters do you love/hate/fear/pity the most and why?

Hmm, interesting question—which characters of mine generate more of an emotional response for me?  Clearly, it's the leading characters.  They are the most developed and closest to an author in the writing process.  They have to make the author, and the reader, care, or neither will finish the book!


What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Editing.  Editing is about being realistic, logical and critical about your own writing. I have to switch hats to be an editor, look at the big picture and not be enamored of my own ability to put words together.  It's the opposite process from writing, when I'll put anything onto paper that catches my fancy, but it's necessary to produce professional work.

Did your book require a lot of research?

I think any good author's research should involve a lot of reading within and outside of their genre to be familiar with what makes a book work, or not work.  Personally, since I write horror, I enjoy researching what is currently popular with audiences through watching horror movies and shows such as 'The Walking Dead,' 'Dexter,' and similar programming. 

What are some of the challenges in your writing process?

As I work full-time, as well as write, it can be a huge challenge to find time for family and friends.  I try to make time, every day, for exercise, as well, so that I stay healthy.  I believe, however, that these are challenges that most adults face, whatever their career-choice—work and life balance is difficult for everyone.


Describe your writing space.

My writing space is a spare bedroom that I have taken over for my writing.  I write directly onto my PC (no first draft hand-written in notebooks, which I used to do in college), so that I strive to make the process of typing as comfortable as possible. 

I have a rather expensive office chair with an adjustable seat and arms as well as a mouse pad and typing pad with gel cushions for support of my wrists.  I tend to work hours and hours straight, without a break, so that having these items has been necessary investment.

While I have a large window overlooking my back yard, I keep the curtains shut, as I don't like distractions.  It's way too easy to gaze out a window rather than stare at my computer screen and be productive!

There is a huge framed movie poster from Stephen King's 'Carrie' as well as my book covers from "Roses Are Red,' 'Violets Are Blue,' and 'Sugar Is Sweet' displayed on the walls.  The artwork makes it clear to anyone entering my office that I'm a horror author.

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

I'm always reading.  It's been a vice since childhood.

What so you see for the future of publishing and e-books?

Writing, itself, will change due to the influence of ebooks.  More and more books will have shorter sentences and paragraphs.  This briefer style is easier to read on ebook reading devices. 

Eventually, ebooks will be replaced with a new technology and they will become obsolete. 

That is the only sure thing when it comes to predictions of the future and technology.  Just look at the evolution of music from records, reel to reel, tape decks, cassettes, CDs, and now digital formats…  In time, something better will come along…

What advice would you give a new writer just starting out?

Write what you love to read.  If you wish to write to sell, then write sales copy, not books.  It's a hard road and only true passion will keep you going.



VIOLETS ARE BLUE:  A Novella

Newly-wed Sarah was delighted to move in with her mother-in-law, Martha, a widower who had raised her son, by herself, on an isolated Midwest farm.

A kid from a broken home who had been raised in a group house in Chicago, Sarah had struggled to put herself through college on scholarships.  She considered herself to be self-reliant and willing to work hard for her dreams.  She wanted only one thing, a real family.  Todd was the love of her life, so that she was sure that she'd love Martha, too.

It never occurred to Sarah that Martha would see her as competition, to be eliminated.

EXCERPT:  Violets are Blue

Sarah stood on the dirt road, staring at the six foot high stalks, at the long, rippled leaves that concealed, in seconds, the bold red of Todd’s t-shirt.  The corn had swallowed him up.  She hadn’t expected him to take off. 

Seriously, he wanted to play tag in a corn field?  Then, she thought, why not?  It was as crazy as anything else that they had done together. 

She remembered the time that they had walked through a snow storm, licking ice cream cones.  People drove by, laughing at them, but a cone in winter had the advantage of not melting.  It was the perfect weather for ice cream.

“Todd, where are you?”  She tried to sound pissed, after all, he was forcing her to play tag.  She waited to hear his voice, so that she could follow him.  “Todd?”

“Come and get me!” he shouted, but she heard him moving again as she ran into the field, the noise of him running was fainter than the crashing of her own elbows and legs through the corn stalks. 

In the corner of her eye she saw the ears of corn which were both uglier and smaller than those in the supermarkets back home.  The cobs, half eaten by the birds, had empty black sockets that resembled gap-toothed smiles.  Tassels draped over the cobs like a bad comb-over.

The leaves sliced her skin.  She was forced to run through random swarming circles of flies.  Her hands were held out straight in front of her, in a futile effort to protect her face.  Sarah could hear Todd, up-ahead.  He sounded closer.

She stumbled.  Her feet kept getting caught in the rope-like webbing of the corn roots.  The ground was rock hard and dry.  Only her momentum kept her from actually falling.  A glimpse, finally, of Todd’s shirt, she was gaining on him.

2 comments:

  1. Liked the 'chicken or the egg' simile! It's so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the interview with Carrie. Thanks for sharing the blurb and the excerpt from Violets are Blue. Sounds like Sarah is in for some problems with her mother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete