Friday, September 7, 2012

Twelve-Year-Old Author, Spencer Brokaw, The Impenetrable Spy

Today's guest is unusual in that he published his book at the age of 12.  This is one dedicated young man.





AUTHOR: Spencer Brokaw
BOOK TITLE: The Impenetrable Spy
PUBLISHER: Smashwords, KDP, CreateSpace, and PubIt.
BUY LINK:
Amazon (in paperback and kindle): http://www.amazon.com/The-Impenetrable-Spy-Spencer-Brokaw/dp/1463693745/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334240809&sr=8-1

Barnes & Nobles (nook): http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-impenetrable-spy-spencer-brokaw/1104729132

Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/73511


Why don't you start with telling us a little about yourself? What genre do you write in and why? 

I am Spencer Brokaw, 12 year old author (now 13) of The Impenetrable Spy available on Kindle, paperback, Nook, iBooks, and Smashwords. I primarily write in espionage/action adventure. I love writing in the action genre, because it is the easiest for me to write in, and I have the most fun writing it. Although I have no real warfare experience, video games and movies have helped me visualize most of the things I end up writing about in my books.

How long have you been writing? 
I began writing short stories at 7 and began typing books at age 9 on an old computer.
What got you interested in writing, and what inspired you to write your first book? 
My dad suggested writing as a cure for boredom in the summer when I was around age 7 or 8. A few years later, after writing a book on the computer, and several on notebook paper, I wrote The Impenetrable Spy. Nothing really “inspired” me; I just love to write, although without my dad’s recommendation, I might not be much of a writer today.
Do you outline before you write? If not, what’s your initial process? 

You could call it outlining. I basically have a small idea about the plot, and write the first chapter or prologue, and do outlining along the way. Most of the outlining is completed in my head; not much is written down, but I know what direction I want the story to go in.

What comes first: the plot or the characters? 
I focus more on the plot, although I wished I focused on my characters a little more. I am going to start focusing on character development more for my future projects.
What was the hardest part of writing your book? 
The hard part is continuing the plot and keeping the readers interest.
Did your book require a lot of research? How long does it take to write a book for you? 

The first book was written for fun, and I never thought I would publish it. Very little research was done, but the second book required a little more research. It took me a year to write my first (mainly because it was written on and off again) but my second was written in 2 weeks.

What are some of the challenges in your writing process? 

There aren’t many challenges, except for the occasional writer’s block.

Describe your writing space. 
I have a large desk up against my bed, that houses all of my books, a printer, CD’s, and everything I need to write, along with my laptop.
What do you like to do when you’re not writing? 
I love to play the drums in my free time and listen to music (Van Halen, RUSH, AC/DC, Ratt, and Yes). I also like to swim and read.
What so you see for the future of publishing and e-books? 

I think that paperback and hardcover books will always exist, but e-books will continue to grow.

What are your current books out right now and what are the books coming up for release? 

I only have one that is published, The Impenetrable Spy. My second, The Impenetrable Spy: Future Dreamer is almost done with edits, and I am writing a spin-off series--Agent J.

What advice would you give a new writer just starting out? 

To not let what others say discourage them and to keep writing. The only way to get better is to keep doing it.

Where can people learn more about you and your work?

They can visit these sites:
Blog: http://www.spencerbrokaw.com
Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spencer-Brokaw/289339397788951

Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/spencerbrokaw (I follow back writers, bloggers, and readers!)



SYNOPSIS:

Zack Carter was an ordinary person until meeting up with the CIA. Zack creates a time machine that can transport him back in time when his heart rate stops. Zack is nearly "Impenetrable" and can not be beaten. Wang Bo, a rich leader of China discovers a small statue that can make peoples worst fears come alive. He is also the leader of a mass terrorist group dubbed the Bad Hounds. Zack's main priority is to save the United States from World War 3. He travels through several missions through huge mansions, a war torn D.C, an insane asylum, and New York City.







5 comments:

  1. Excellent interview with a very grounded young writer. Enjoyed it immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible story. Thanks, Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! Nice to meet you Spencer and learn about your book. Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So neat that you're so focused. I wrote my first novel at thirteen but unlike yours, it never got published.

    Hope your interest in learning and writing continues. It's a hard field but very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete