Friday, November 9, 2012

Julia Dweck, Cat or Dog for President







AUTHOR:  Julia Dweck
BOOK TITLE:  Cat or Dog for President
PUBLISHER:  KiteReaders


Please tell me how long you've been writing, and why you decided to become a writer.

As a little girl, my father used to tell me bedtime stories, as he tucked me in each night.  His stories were all from his own fertile imagination and kept me mesmerized.  That’s when I realized how powerful stories can really be.  I began to write my own little stories.  My mother encouraged me and saw the writer inside me from the very beginning.  This was her gift to me.

Are you a full-time writer or a part-time writer, and how do you organize your writing time?

I am always in the process, even if it’s only in my mind.  I’m looking and listening for stories in the world around me.  So, in that respect, I am a full time writer even when I appear otherwise engaged. 

What influences your writing?

I like stories that uplift and impart a message of acceptance and appreciation for diversity.  I think that the most important thing you can do for children is to make them feel good about themselves and their unique strengths.

Is this your first published work?  What other types of writing have you done?

I’ve had 12 children’s books published by KiteReaders, a digital publisher.  I’ve worked on eBooks, iBooks, and apps.  I write all sorts of stories that introduce readers to different types of characters in a humorous way.  I believe that humor is the best way to bring people together.

Why did you choose to write a children's story?

I’m a teacher and a mother. Sharing stories with children is natural to me and it’s the best feeling in the world.  You can make the biggest difference with the messages you impart to young readers.  There’s also great latitude with children’s stories.  Anything is possible.  Children are more than willing to suspend belief.  I like stories with incredible themes that take you away into the far reaches of your imagination.

What was the process of creating this book from the first idea to the final published book?

The upcoming election and my own pets inspired the idea for “Cat or Dog for President.”  I wanted to instill the essence and fervor of an election campaign at an elementary level.  As a teacher, I felt the story could be discussed and understood at multiple levels.  Next, I had to find an illustrator with the appropriate style for this story.  I found the right chemistry in talented illustrator, Bill Bruning.  The completed book passed final review with KiteReaders who programmed it for publishing on Amazon.


What is your marketing strategy?
KiteReaders handles much of my marketing and I supplement with the power of social networks like facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.


Where can people find out more about you and your writing?
You can visit me on my facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/juliadweckbooks
Follow me on Twitter @juleloves2write.com
You can find my collection on my Amazon author page at http://amzn.to/RTZwJ0

Do you have any tips for writers who are new to children's literature?

I would say to write as much and as often as you can.  Develop a writing ethic and a commitment to it.  Beyond that, you must develop a thick skin, so you are not deterred from your focus.  Some will like what you have written and others will not.  Separate the wheat from the chaff.  Use constructive criticism to refine your craft.  Believe in yourself, so that you can keep moving forward.

Please give us a brief synopsis or excerpt from your current book and when and where it will be available.

“Cat of Dog for President” will be released on Amazon during the first week of November. Visit my Facebook and Amazon Author page for the most up to date information on all of my stories and activities. 

Book Description from Amazon:

The narrator asks the intriguing question all Americans want answered: Who would win if a cat and dog ran for President of the United States?  Cat and dog lovers will both agree that this is a fun rhyming tale with a political heart.  Both sides of the campaign are humorously depicted in a clever way that young readers will relate to and understand.  The illustrations are rich, bold and colorful.  "Cat or Dog for President" will keep readers engaged and laughing from beginning to end.

2 comments:

  1. You are very busy and talented. I epubed on kindle because I am having difficulty finding an agent or a publisher. I love your blot and plan on following it. Ricksgalsherry@men.com or authorsherryauger@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you liked the blog. As a regular follower, you'll be introduced to many new and seasoned authors who offer tips and advice.

    ReplyDelete