Monday, November 19, 2012

Killarney Sheffield, Love's Deception




AUTHOR: Killarney Sheffield
BOOK TITLE: Love's Deception
PUBLISHER: MuseItUp Publishing

Why don't you start with telling us a little about yourself? What genre do you write in and why? I am a former horse trainer, farrier and riding coach turned author, reporter and columnist. I write mostly historical romance but also dabble in steampunk and time travel all with romance as the main theme.

Tell me about your current book which you are promoting. Love's Deception came to be because of an idea about double lives. The hero and heroine in the story are living double lives that neither of them realize the other knows about. Kind of a True Lies kind of tale. It is a story about how life can sometimes turn around and bite you when you are least expecting it.

What got you interested in writing, and what inspired you to write your first book? My first book is actually the 3rd book I received a contract for with MuseItUp Publishing. I was inspired to write it because I was bored with the usual historical romances. I need more than just a love story to chew on. Give me high speed horse chases, sword fights and damsels in distress and I am hooked.

Do you outline before you write? If not, what’s your initial process? I never outline a story. I start usually with the key scene where the hero and heroine meet and the rest of the story just builds itself around that.

What comes first: the plot or the characters? The plot definitely, though I have one WIP I am currently working on that was originally eaten by a computer gremlin that was fully inspired by my son's Holland Lop rabbit named Dexter. He was just such a hilarious character that I had to make him the sidekick in a romance about an 1800's female magician.
Which of your characters do you love/hate/fear/pity the most and why? Lord Everton from my debut release Guilty Kisses is hands down a unreformable villian, I really love to hate him. The character I love the most of my published novel (not WIPs) has got to be Victor from The Horseguard's Lady. He is the hero's cousin and a completely charming jokester. I love him so much that I am working on a sequel to The Horseguard's Lady called The Horseguard's Cousin. It is all Victor's story. 
 
What was the hardest part of writing your book? My impatience to get onto the faster scenes. I am told I write a very fast paced book with little room for sleeping LOL! The problem with that is it is hard to stretch a ms beyond my 50-60,000 word count needed for the bigger publishing house. My longest romance to date is just over 72,000. My shortest 46,000.
Did your book require a lot of research? How long does it take to write a book for you? It takes me approx 3 months to write a book, but keep in mind I have as many as 11 ms on the go at any one time. Why? Well, it is a great way to kick writers block in the butt. What doesn't work in one ms quite often will work in another I have on the go.

What do you like to do when you’re not writing? I have 5 school aged kids so we are a pretty busy family. I still dabble with horses, breed Appendix Quarter Horses (I have a thoroughbred stallion and quarter horse mares). My kids are in 4H Beef, play volleyball and basketball. We camp, fish and I have even been known to play a little guitar hero with the kids. Not very well but I enjoy it.

What books or authors have influenced your writing? My two favorite authors are Jo Beverly who guested on my blogspot blog last summer and the deceased Kathleen E Woodwiss. I love Jo's ability to put me in the moment and adore Kathleen's tagless style. She was and still is the queen of tagless writing.

What are your current books out right now and what are the books coming up for
release? Guilty Kisses- June 2011, Stand & Deliver Your Heart- Sept 2011, The Horseguard's Lady- Dec 2011, A Courtesan's Desires- March 2012, Inventing Love- June 2012, Love's Deception- Nov 2012 and finally Marie- 2013 (an alternate history romance based on Marie Anntoinette) I also have 2 romance eroticas written under Kelli Key, Chained- Oct 2011 (set in 1974) and Larger than Life (part of the Museithot Lacey's Lamp series)- May 2012.



1 comment:

  1. Wow, you're busy! Like you, I like my romance with a little more than love scenes!

    ReplyDelete