Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Marie Fostino, A Struggle of the Heart



AUTHOR:  Marie Fostino
BOOK TITLE:  A Struggle of the Heart
PUBLISHER:  Amazon Digital Services

Tell me a little about your book:? A young woman, Annette, moves to Norman, Oklahoma to attend college when she meets the man of her dreams, Aaron. Her heart breaks in pieces when he regretfully tells her he’ll be leaving soon for boot camp; only letters continue to keep their love lit while being states apart. On April 19th, 1995, a dreadful day in history of Oklahoma, the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building was bombed, killing over 150 lives. This event created an epiphany in Annette’s life and led her to the decision of changing career paths to help others. Aaron returns home after boot camp only to inform Annette that he will be stationed at Ft. Sill where they get the opportunity to see each other more often and watch their love grow. A couple of months after being stationed at Ft. Sill, he deploys to Afghanistan and the letters stopped shortly after his departure. Heartbroken, Annette puts all of her energy and focus into her newest goal of becoming an EMT. Tim, a classmate of Annette’s, becomes a study buddy, and with great support and encouragement, they each pass paramedic school together. Annette happily accepts Tim’s special proposal, not long before saving the life of a man who had a bruised, bloody and unrecognizable face. While filing the paper work she realizes it is her long lost beloved Aaron. He’s alive. Annette will now have to face the hardest decision of her life.


What gave you the idea for this particular story?  I took this idea from my experience at the OKC bombing and how it changed my life.  The romance part is purely fiction because I enjoy reading romance books.

Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?  I write part time at the moment. I am a full time paramedic and grandmother of seven grandchildren.  I write when I am working on the ambulance in between patients and when I am at home not babysitting grandchildren.

When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?  I use to write when my children were small, but the writings are still in my hope chest. It wasn’t until my father in law had his Alzheimer’s and my husband and I took care of him, that I decided I wanted to write. I took my journals and made it into a book to help others who are dealing with this disease. Next I looked back at my life and decided that I have had wonderful adventures that I can write about, making them fiction of course.

What do you hope readers will take from your writing? I hope they can find love and peace in my writing. What I write about could have happened to them, so I hope they find the positive outlook on life and the understanding they need to cope with life.  I want them to cry and laugh and find love all over again.

Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?  I prefer to write about romance because I love to read romance books and watch movies that make me want to fall in love all over again.

What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?  The toughest part for me is keeping my tenses correct. Thank heavens I use and editor to help me with that part.

Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it?   I worked as a beautician at a beauty shop when the Oklahoma Bombing happened. I can still remember today how shocked I felt when this tragic event happened not far from me. I was devastated when I went to help and the National Guard would not let me. I did volunteer to clean up the bombing site which I think was the hardest job I ever had.

How much is your protagonist like you?   How different?    The main character is a lot like me, caring for others, wanting to help and be a service to others. God plays a big role in my life and he also plays somewhat in her life also. The difference is I was married young, and she took her time to get to know herself and what she wants in a man and in life.

What kind of research did you do for this type of story?   I did look up more information about the Oklahoma bombing on the internet, along with going through my pictures from this site which helped me stay within the time line for my book.

Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not:   I want my books to be read by young and old alike without offending anyone. I think that a suggestion about sex or violence is enough for the imagination than writing out a play by play of the event.

What about your book makes it special:   I think my book is special because it comes from my heart. This is about a real event which hit the hearts of so many lives. By adding the touch of romance between these two character’s and how this event touched their lives shows how some positive changes were made in some people who were affected by this terrible act of terrorism.

What is your marketing plan:  So far my marketing plan is to get my book on as many blogs as possible and to try and get as many reviews as possible until the media can see that this book is worth reading.

Where can people learn more about you and your work?   I do have a website: http://mariefostino.weebly.com/  They also can read my author page on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Marie-Fostino/e/B003NQV32W/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0

Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?  All I can say is keep writing. Be positive and don’t give up.

What’s in the future for you?   I have written another book and it is with the editor at this time.  I have many adventures to write about and I plan on doing just that. Thank you for this interview. I appreciate the fact that you were willing to read and review my book and books from other INDIE authors.  With lots of appreciation J THANK YOU!







2 comments:

  1. Something like the Oklahoma Bombing imprints us forever I think. Good that you can write about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, This time in history was very close to my heart. I wanted to write something positive out of a negetive situation.

      Delete