Thursday, December 6, 2012

Stacy Green, Into the Dark




AUTHOR: Stacy Green
BOOK TITLE: INTO THE DARK
PUBLISHER: MuseItUp Publishing


To celebrate the release of INTO THE DARK, I’m giving you TWO ways to win a $25 Amazon Gift Card! Both options will get your name into the drawing, which runs from November 5th until the end of my blog tour on January 30th.

Entry Option 1: Earns FIVE entries in the contest. Email Stacy your receipt of purchase (simply copy and paste proof of the order into the email, excluding personal information) of INTO THE DARK or the answer to this question: in what state was the Taker born and raised?

Entry Option 2: Earns TWO entries in the Contest. Donate to HELP of Southern Nevada and help the homeless. Readers can go to HELP of Southern Nevada, the organization that aids the homeless featured in INTO THE DARK, and donate. Email Stacy the receipt (personal information excluded). No donation is too small!

The homeless living in the storm drains of Las Vegas played a vital part in INTO THE DARK, and I want to give back. From November 1st until February 28th, participants will have several options to enter the raffle, including donating to HELP of Southern Nevada. The grand prize will be a $100 donation from me in the winner’s name to the homeless shelter of their choice.


Please tell us about yourself?
Hi! I’m a mother of an on-the-go 6-year-old and three obnoxious fur babies. I went to Drake University and earned a degree in journalism, then worked in advertising for several years. After I became a stay at home mom, I decided to revisit my love of writing, and here I am. Love reading and writing suspense and thrillers, but I also love a good romance thrown in.

Tell us your latest news?
My debut novel, Into The Dark releases from MuseItUp Publishing on November 30th. I’m very excited about it! It’s suspense with romance, and enough twists and turns to keep the reader guessing until the end. I set the book in Las Vegas because I wanted to highlight the homeless population living in the city’s storm drain system. There are two hundred homeless in the drains–known as the tunnels–at any given time, and I’m running a charity blog tour to help raise money for them.

When and why did you begin writing?
I’ve written on and off for years. I used to write short stories in junior high, and then for the high school newspaper. When I went to college, I decided to major in magazine journalism because the head of the department told me the specialty was “perfect for people who wanted to be novelists but would never make it.” So I put aside my dream and followed the sensible path. It’s a decision I regretted for many years. In 2005, after my daughter was born, I was lucky enough to be able to stay at home with her. Gradually the desire to write built again, and before I knew it I was putting together little bits and pieces. Next thing I knew, I had a full-length romance/drama that will never see the light of day. But one of my good friends pointed out its potential, and the fact that I’d written a book, even if it was nowhere near ready for publication. That’s when I started thinking I might be able to be a writer after all.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
When I signed my book contract with MuseItUp. And then I realized the work had only just begun, and I needed to set up not only a writing schedule for myself but a production schedule as well.

What inspired you to write your first book?
Two things. First, the idea of a hot guy in a SWAT uniform. Not kidding! I love a man in uniform, and SWAT fascinates me. So I knew I wanted to write a book about an awesome guy who worked in SWAT. I chose Las Vegas because of their higher crime rate, and because they have one of the only (and best) full-time SWAT teams in the country. And so then I started thinking about escape routes. I figured there had to be old tunnels in Vegas, since it was founded by the mob, and I Googled “Las Vegas tunnels.” That’s when I discovered the storm drains and the people who live there. And I knew I had something to write about. Back then, I didn’t know anything about plotting (I’m now a ridiculously meticulous plotter), so I just started writing and discovered my characters and story that way.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
That’s a tough one. First off, that things aren’t always what they seem, and good people can be driven to do terrible things. There isn’t always a gray area.

What books have most influenced your life most?
There are quite a few, but the first one that jumps to my mind is Anne Rice’s The Vampire Lestat and The Queen of the Damned. I not only fell in love with the character she so masterfully created, but I was enthralled with the world and history she created.

The other would have to be Silence of the Lambs, because I realized how interested I was in the dark side of human nature, and the psychology of what drives us to be evil. And Hannibal Lecter, in my opinion, is still the consummate bad guy.

What book are you reading now? What do you like, or not, about it?
Right now is all about research for a trilogy I plan to release next fall, so I’m reading Katherine Ramsland’s Inside the Minds of Serial Killers. It’s fascinating and easy for the average person to read. I’m also reading a book on body language, and it’s really interesting to think about how much nonverbal cues drive our conversations.

I also just started a book called Now You See Me by S.R. Barton. Great suspense so far!

What are your current projects?
My second novel, Tin God, will release in the spring, and I’m deep into developmental edits right now. It’s a mystery set in the Deep South and explores family secrets, broken bonds, and what a mother is willing to do for justice. I’m pretty proud of it. I’m currently plotting a trilogy about a forensic psychologist and a diabolical villain. What can I say, I love the dark stuff!

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
You know what, I wouldn’t change anything. Into The Dark is something I’m really proud of, and I think I needed to go through the process of writing it to learn how to write more efficiently.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?
Playing with my daughter and having family time. She’s our only one, and she was our little miracle. I try to make as much time for her as possible when she’s home from school, and weekends are mostly family time. They’re only little once!

Do you have any advice for other writers?
There are tons of things I could say, but what always sticks with me the most is this: write the book YOU want to. Don’t worry about the critics or the readers–if you don’t love it, no one else will.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
 Join me, lol! No, seriously, I’m a debut author so I have a lot to prove. I’ve worked really hard to put out a quality book, and I hope everyone loves it as much as I do.

Any special appearances or events coming up that you want to mention?
Right now, I’m in the middle of the Into The Dark Charity Blog Tour. Readers can not only donate to HELP of Southern Nevada–the organization who aids the homeless in Las Vegas–but they can also enter to win the grand prize of a $100 donation from ME to THEIR local homeless shelter (or shelter of their choice). Because the storm drains were so important in the inspiration for Into The Dark, I felt it was only right to try to give back to the people who live down there.

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them?
MuseItUp Publishing. I decided I want to start with a small press because I wanted the support of a publisher but the freedom of a smaller environment. I queried several small presses and received offers, but MuseItUp was always a first choice. Lea is great with her authors, and the entire group is very supportive.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc






INTO THE DARK by Stacy Green

IT’S THE MOMENTS FROM OUR PAST THAT BIND US.
Branch Manager Emilie Davis is having a day like any other–until two masked men storm into WestOne Bank demanding cash.  Her hopes of a quick end to her terror are dashed when she realizes one of the men has no interest in the bank’s money. Emilie is his prize, and he’s come to claim her.
When hostage negotiator Nathan Madigan and Las Vegas SWAT enter the bank on a rescue mission, Emilie’s captor makes a shocking escape into the abyss that lies beneath the city: the Las Vegas storm drains, a refuge for the downtrodden and the desperate.

HOW WILL IT END?
Who is the man the media has dubbed the “Taker?” Why is he after Emilie, and what is the connection he’s convinced they share?

Emilie can’t run from the Taker, and she can’t escape her own past. As her life closes in on her, she has nowhere to turn but to Nathan. The lines of professionalism blur as Nathan becomes determined to save Emilie. Together they venture into the depths beneath Las Vegas and discover a shocking piece of the puzzle.

But the Taker remains one step ahead. Desperate for the threat to emerge from the shadows, Emilie makes a bold move to reclaim her life, and it may cost her everything.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Penny! Thanks so much for having me. I hope your readers enjoy the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Stacy and Penny. You had me at SWAT guy in uniform! Congratulations on your books. And Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stacy and Penny. :-) I'm with Vicki...you had me at Swat guy in uniform!

    ReplyDelete