Monday, January 21, 2013

Derick Hudson, Dysfunctional Romance





AUTHOR: Derick Hudson
BOOK TITLE: Dysfunctional Romance!
PUBLISHER: Amazon

Please tell us about yourself? I’m Irish, forty-something, full of the ‘gift of the gab’ and quite like writing when I’m allowed to by my wife and kids! I'm a deeply passionate and energetic individual and want to rock your world, literally. I also want to make you laugh out loud so much that you get tinnitus!


Tell us your latest news? I have just published my second novel, Unholy Romance, which is a romantic religious parody. Please do not buy if easily offended!

When and why did you begin writing? About six years ago because it gave me a plausible excuse for avoiding having to mind the kids or cut the lawn!

When did you first consider yourself a writer? When I received my first royalty payment from Amazon. I hope one day Amazon will have paid me more than I have given to them over the years!

What inspired you to write your first book? My ego! I think it was drunk at the time!

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? Yes…buy my book so I can give up the day job!

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?  (Has anyone ever realized it?) Some misguided people claim I’m similar to Barry, the main protagonist in Dysfunctional Romance, who happens to be riddled with phobias from A to Z…but I’m way worse than him!

What are your current projects? My new novel, Unholy Romance! is a hilarious (I promise!) story about Jesus Christ’s second coming. His task, if he can manage to stay alive this time, is to conceive a new set of Commandments which are more relevant to the 21st century than those left behind in stone by ‘old lick-arse’ Moses. Above all else, this is a tale of an unlikely and ultimately passionate romance between Jesus Christ and Megan Milligan, a feisty, Irish phone sex operator and devoted atheist, as they struggle to come to terms with an unplanned pregnancy!

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book? I’d probably have published my book under a pseudonym as it is really hard to deal with all the interview requests, glamorous groupies and pampering! (I wish!)

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing? The fact that Microsoft Word's spellcheck does not pick up words that are correctly spelt but ultimately in the wrong place at the wrong time…if you ‘no’ what I mean!

Do you ever have problems with writers block?  If so how do you get through it? Neat alcohol can be a great tonic for writers block. Just don’t hit the ‘send’ button until sober!

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing? Stressing out about life!

What was the hardest part of writing your book? Trying to find a cheap “off the shelf” book cover to match my book’s storyline!

Do you have any advice for other writers? You need to self-promote aggressively. I don’t mean you have to beat up your agent…just twitter and blog vigorously to let the masses know little you and your book exists.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? Buy my next book. It’s even better than the last but not as good as the next!

Any special appearances or events coming up that you want to mention? I haven’t seen my mum in ages so I’m quite liking forwarding to appearing in her house soon.

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them? I self-published through Amazon after seeing the odd rejection letter or two from THE ESTABLISHMENT! Anyway, I find it more liberating to be independent and would hate to work to deadlines (not sour grapes…I promise!).

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.
I’m lucky in that I have over 30,000 crazy (but really lovely) followers on Twitter and over 15,000 viewings on my blog. Twitter Link: https://twitter.com/Derick_Hudson  Blog Link: http://derickhudson.blogspot.ie/



DYSFUNCTIONAL ROMANCE!
Barry Shaw’s whirlwind journey through life was shaped by the growing demands of a multitude of disorders, which meant he tended to clean things repeatedly and aggressively, before they had the chance to murder him!

Barry thrived on routine. If it hadn’t happened before, it was unlikely to happen ever…until he collided into her that is. On that fateful day, as he walked to work, stepping from the center of one pavement stone to the next, he crashed into Sandra Wiggins, who had also been discreetly avoiding the dreaded cracks. It was lust at first sight...love would have to wait. Apart, they were just weird, but together, they were pure mental!

This is the bittersweet, hilarious story of two human lovebirds destined to spend their calamitous lives together…until something extraordinary occurs that threatens to decimate what remains of their limited sanity. Welcome to the New World Order created when Barry met his Miss. Match!

1 comment: