Friday, April 5, 2013

An Annual Reading Celebration and Free Authors Promotion





An Annual Reading Celebration and a FREE Authors Promotion
By Donna L Martin

When the lovely Penny Ehrenkranz connected with me through LinkedIn, I thought what a nice way to meet another talented author.  But when she invited me to do a guest post where I get to talk about an annual event I host for authors and illustrators, I was honored!

You see, I consider myself lucky enough to be called a writer.  This writing family I am a a part of shares a strong bond.  A bond of support and encouragement. I honestly don’t think I would have grown so much as a writer these past three years if it weren’t for the nice people of this writing community. 

One day last year I decided I wanted to find a way to thank all my new author friends for their kindness and that was when I thought of my city’s Annual Children’s Festival of Reading.  Every May for the past eight years Knoxville, TN has been the home to one of the southeast’s largest reading festivals.  Over 15,000 people of all ages attend this one-day event each year.  Children and their families immerse themselves in everything to do with books including chatting with onsite authors and watching stage performances.

But despite all the fantastic booths available, there was one thing missing.  What about all the fabulous authors around the world who would love to participate in the festival but for one reason or another couldn’t physically be there?  That was when my FREE AUTHORS PROMOTION event was born!

My FREE AUTHORS PROMOTION is a way for me to give back to this writing community by showcasing the talented works of authors around the world to thousands of potential new fans.  Participating authors simply donate autographed books and other autographed swag items (bookmarks, postcards, hats, tshirts, etc) to be included in a free drawing, and I make sure as many people as possible have access to their lovely work.  All genres from children through adult are displayed at my booth during this festival to benefit Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library.

Last year I was hoping to get maybe four or five autographed books to be able to promote but when I ended up with THREE HUNDRED FIFTY autographed items from around the US to give away, I was amazed!  This year my booth has become an international reading zone with over FOUR HUNDRED autographed items from around the world being donated so far!

There is still time to join the fun for any author interested.  You can send an email to donasdays (at) gmail (dot) com, and I would be happy to give you the mailing address for your donations. You can also check out my city’s website link…

Authors spend a lot of time networking and thinking of ways to let the world know their stories are out there and waiting to be read.  But authors can’t be everywhere at once.  If you can’t be on stage yourself to promote your own books, then why not let someone do it who cares about your stories almost as much as you do?  A great story is a still a great story no matter who writes it, and my FREE AUTHORS PROMOTION is a way to join the fun next month without having to worry about frequent flyer miles…;~)





Donna L Martin is a Fourth Degree Black Belt and Certified TaeKwonDo Instructor by day and a creator of new worlds by night.  Donna began writing poetry at the age of eight, graduating to essays and articles for her high school newspaper by the time she was in her teens.  She continued to focus on poetry until well into her twenties when she made the challenging decision to put down her pen and raise her son as a single parent.

Fast forward twenty-five years and with her child all grown up, Donna decided to turn her attention back to her first love.  Writing professionally for three years now, she focuses mainly on children, middle grade, and young adult genres but still dabbles in essays and poetry whenever her cat, Tommy, gets off the keyboard long enough to allow her to use it!

You can connect with Donna via her blog (http://www.donasdays.blogspot.com), LinkedIn (Donna L Martin), Twitter (#donasdays), Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn), or email (www.donasdays@gmail.com).






2 comments:

  1. It's a generous thing you're doing, Donna. Bravo.

    Hi, Penny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great! I wish I wrote children's fiction so I could participate!

    ReplyDelete