Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Christina Weigand, Palace of the Twelve Pillars






AUTHOR: Christina Weigand
BOOK TITLE: Palace of the Twelve Pillars
PUBLISHER: MuseItUp Publishing

Please tell us about yourself?
Christina Weigand’s a writer, wife, and mother of three grown children and a middle school daughter. She is also Nana to three granddaughters. She lives with her husband and youngest daughter in Washington State after a lifetime in Pennsylvania. Currently, she’s working on fantasy novels and inspirational writing. Through her writing, she strives to share the Word of God and help people young and old to realize the love and mercy He has for everyone.

When she’s not writing, she’s active in her local Church as a lector, Bible Study, or with the church theater group, volunteering at her daughter and granddaughter’s school in the library as well as helping the children develop a love for reading and writing. Jesus fills her home with love as she shares Him through her writing. 

Tell us your latest news?
The first book in my Palace of The Twelve Pillars trilogy was released on April 26. The second book in the trilogy Palace of Three Crosses is slated to be released in September 2013.

When and why did you begin writing?
I’ve been writing since I was a child, but then with adult responsibilities I stopped to raise a family and pursue something considered to be more of an adult thing to do. When my first three children were almost old enough to be out of the house, I lost a job and became pregnant with my fourth child. My husband and I decided that I would be a stay-at-home mom again, like I had done with the first three. But I needed a creative outlet and took a Children’s Writing course through the Institute of Children’s Literature. Now here I am twelve years later with a couple of books published and a couple of more on their way.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
I want young people to see that they have choices in their life and there are consequences to the choices they do make.

What books have most influenced your life most?
First and foremost: The Bible

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
Bryan Davis

What are your current projects?
Finishing up Palace of the Twelve Pillars trilogy. The second book Palace of Three Crosses will be published in Sept. 2013 and I hope to have the third one Sanctuary of Nine Dragons finished and submitted by the end of April with publication to be determined. Beyond that I am working on a short novel for an Urban Fantasy trilogy, that doesn’t have a title yet but has a few dragons.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
I remember as a kid playing with my five sisters and having a greeting card company where I wrote the inside of the cards. Later in middle school I took a Creative Writing class and then in high school I wrote a few articles for a local newspaper.

Do you ever have problems with writers block?  If so how do you get through it?
Only when my characters decide they don’t like the outline I foolishly created. Once I throw out the outline and let the characters tell the story then I am okay. Seriously though, since I have been doing so much editing on the trilogy, I’ve been struggling with starting something new. I’m still working through that and haven’t really come up with a working solution other than to just write.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?
Spend time with family and God. Right now we are getting ready to move across the country so if I’m not writing/editing or running around with my 12 year-old daughter I’m trying to declutter and pack so I can move in July.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
It’s too hard to pick just one. There are so many out there that I love to read and I’m always trying new ones. But if I have to chose just one it would have to be Bryan Davis. He is a Christian writer that doesn’t compromise his beliefs. His stories portray a strong Christian message in the form of fantasy stories. Besides that he has dragons in his books. Dragons are one of my passions.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Killing off characters. One in particular; I won’t mention who; I knew he had to die but just wasn’t sure how or when. I think I rewrote the scene several times before I was happy with it. And the other hard part was writing what I wanted instead of what my characters wanted.

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them?
MuseItUp Publishing. That is an interesting story. I had been searching for a publisher and not having much luck. I had gone to a big writers conference out here on the west coast and had four publishers/agents ask to see my work. Three of them rejected it and I never heard from the fourth. Then Karina Fabian put me on to MuseItUp’s online conference. Of the editors available for pitches Lea Schizas's seemed like my best chance. So I did an online pitch for her. (First time I had done an online pitch.) She was the first one to ask about the whole trilogy. She wanted to see the ms for the first book, synopsis and first chapters for the other two books. The rest is history. August 13, 2012 I signed the contract for the first book.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.
palaceofthetwelvepillars@gmail.com
@CAWeigand




EXCERPT


Then his gaze fell on Waldrom. Here was the man, so smug and condescending, who sought to destroy Crato and threatened his parents. He didn’t seem the least bit imposing reclining upon his throne. Disgust overwhelmed the prince, and it was all he could do not to spit on the floor. The man was the antithesis of his father, who, with his broad shoulders and compassionate demeanor, commanded the respect of all who knew him.


The king rose from the throne and waved for the guard to bring Joachim forward.

“Prince Brandan, I presume. I’m King Waldrom.”

“Prince Brandan? No, I’m Joachim.” Waldrom stepped back, and Joachim saw the fire burning in his eyes.

 “What do you mean, you’re not Prince Brandan?”  Waldrom looked at the guard holding Joachim and waved his hand. A candelabrum flew from the wall, hitting the guard and igniting his beard. The guard swatted wildly at the flames while Waldrom advanced on Melvane, standing by the door. “How could you grab the wrong prince?”

The wizard dropped to his knees. “My Lord, our spies told us Prince Brandan would be in the training room.






4 comments:

  1. Hi, ladies! I enjoyed the interview, especially the excerpt. Makes me want to read more :) I'm a believer and follower of Jesus Christ as well! I admire people who put their faith into their writing. Keep on!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny thanks for letting me visit. It was great fun. Nice looking blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, glad we got it straightened out and the post up. Better late than never! Hope to have you come back to promote the next books in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading about you, Chris! I am looking forward to reading this trilogy! :)

    Erin

    ReplyDelete