Monday, April 29, 2013

J.Q. Rose, Coda to Murder

Today is a fun blog swap between J.Q. Rose, my guest, and me, as I'll be visiting her blog to promote my new picture book, Boo's Bad Day, so be sure to stop by her blog today, too: http://www.jqrose.com



Author name: J.Q. Rose
Book Title: Coda to Murder
Publisher: MuseItUp Publishing
Buy link: MuseItUp Publishing- http://tinyurl.com/anax9x7
Website/Blog: http://www.jqrose.com



Please tell us about yourself with the following favorites:

Food? Roast beef, carrots and potatoes This was our traditional Sunday dinner when I was growing up and I still enjoy it, except I cook our roast in a crockpot.
Drink (non-alcoholic)? Hot tea—especially Constant Comment.
Flower? Rose of course
Day of the week? Monday because I am usually fired up after a super Sunday
Time of day to write? After lunch—I know, I know. After lunch should be nap time for most folks, but I never nap unless I’m really really sick.
Place to write? my dining room table or kitchen counter…more space to spread out than writing at my desk
Season? Spring  Funny but that’s the season I chose for the setting in Coda to Murder—gorgeous spring in Michigan
Holiday?  Thanksgiving—no worries about finding/wrapping gifts, just a fun day to be together around a table full of good food!
Color? green
Animal?  Cat—and yes there is a tabby cat in Coda to Murder named Bitsy
Hobby? Love, love, digital photography because you can delete your horrible shots
Sport? baseball
Song? "Yesterday" by the Beatles
TV show? The Voice
Movie? It’s Complicated
Book? Water for Elephants
Author? Jan Karon
Word? unique
Quote?  "It must be borne in mind that the tragedy of life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goalto reach. It isn't a calamity to die with dreams unfulfilled,but it is a calamity not to dream. It is not a disaster to be unable to capture your ideal, but it is a disaster to have no ideal to capture. It is not a disgrace not to reach the stars, but it is a disgrace to have no stars to reach for. Not failure, but low aim is a sin."
~ Benjamin E. Mayes ~American minister, educatorscholar, social activist and the president of Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia from 1940 to 1967


Now some easy one-word answers:
Coffee or tea? tea
Veggies or fruit? fruit
Cat or dog? cat
Plot or not? plot
Desktop or laptop? laptop
Pencil or pen?  pen
Rain or sun? sun
Mountains or ocean? ocean
Plane or train? plane
Car or motorcycle? car
Run or walk? walk
Casual or dressy? casual
Indoors or outdoors? indoors
Reading: EBook or paperback? both
Reading: Short story or novels? novels
Theater or rental?  theater
Vampire or shifter? neither
Horror or romance? romance



Tell us about your new/latest release:

Title: Coda to Murder
Genre: mystery, romance
Blurb: Pastor Christine Hobbs never imagined she would be caring for a flock that includes a pig, a kangaroo, and a murderer.
Detective Cole Stephens doesn't want the pretty pastor to get away with murdering the church music director. His investigative methods infuriate Christine as much as his deep brown eyes attract her.
Can they find the real killer and build a loving relationship based on trust?


Short Excerpt:

The tall pastor and the petite florist couldn’t have been more different in appearance.  Lacey’s blunt cut strawberry blonde hair and bright floral shirt and jeans contrasted with the minister’s black suit and shoulder length brown hair.  Because they were so alike in their life experiences, they became fast friends. They were nearly the same age, both single, both uncommitted, and both had marriages that ended badly.           
            She held out the brown bag.  “Here, I brought us some light beers.  I figured you needed some company.”  She smiled big, making Christine realize how much she loved her friend.
            “What a sweet kitty. Is this Mrs. Whitcomb’s cat? She’s beautiful.” Lacey bent down to pat the now friendly feline.
            “Yeah, that’s Bitsy. She wasn’t interested in coming home with me.” Christine watched as her friend easily stroked the cat. “Well, you certainly have a way with cats. It took me quite awhile before Bitsy would even look at me! Thank you so much for coming over. Have a seat.”
            They twisted off the beer caps and settled themselves on the big ugly couch for a warm heart-to-heart talk. Bitsy chose to stretch out on the back of the couch lounging between the two women. For a few minutes, the pastor could forget her responsibilities and just enjoy having a friend.  Lacey helped to fill the void Christine had felt after divorcing Brad, whom she thought would be her soul mate forever.
            “I heard Cole Stephens is the investigator on William’s case,” said Lacey.  “He’s gorgeous.”  She grinned a silly face at Christine and then sucked down more beer.
            “You’ve got to be kidding me.  I was so worried about Dutch, I didn’t even notice.”
            “Well, I’m sure you had your mind on a lot more than Cole Stephens.  Take my word for it, he’s a cutie,” Lacey said with a wink.
            Christine tried to picture Cole Stephens.  He was a tall, muscular man and handsome in his tie and sport coat.  She remembered his short-cropped hair.  Was it a flat-top, or was there some spiky hair sticking out?   Did he wear glasses or not?  Her memory of him was just too fuzzy.
            “I didn’t exactly have my man radar out this morning.” She tried to brush off more of the cat hair, dust, and food particles on her suit coat and slacks.
            “Well, I’m sure he’ll be talking to you some more if this investigation turns up foul play.”
            Christine sat straight up on the couch and faced her friend.  “Why would you even say something like that?  You know William probably just tripped down the steps.  Gosh, Lacey.  What a thing to say!”
            “I’m just sayin’…just wondering…I mean, really, Chris, nobody knows anything about William.  He may have had too much wine and fell down the steps, or he discovered a burglar in the church, or any of a dozen things.  Just sayin’…” Lacey quickly took another swig of the cold beer.
            Focusing intently on Christine’s eyes, she said, “Cole Stephens has a reputation for digging for the truth.  He won’t settle for any old explanation of William’s death.  You have to be prepared for the worst.”
         

Buy links:

MuseItUp Publishing- http://tinyurl.com/anax9x7
bn.com and major online booksellers



16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting me and swapping blogs. What a combination for readers today, a beautiful picture book and a mystery, romance! This is a wonderful way to start the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed Coda to Murder. It had everything I look for: romance, mystery and great back story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ladies. Those were great questions. I have got to get this book Janet. It sounds so good! Best of luck!

    Penny

    ps.....Thanksgiving is easily my favorite also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet, it's my pleasure to host you again. Thanks for doing this blog swap today, too. People, please stop by Janet's blog to learn about writing a picture book: http://www.jqrose.com/2013/04/discover-author-penny-ehrenkranz.html

    Marian and Penny, glad you could stop by. I love working with Janet as her line editor on her mysteries, and this one is another winner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey y'all! I was a fortunate Alpha reader on Coda to Murder! Y'all just wait till the Kangaroo and the pig show up! (See you in a minute over at J. Q.'s, Penny!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, oh...spoiler alert! Gail, you're right the pig and kangaroo are a hoot.

      Delete
  7. Thank you, Marian. You make me blush! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Penny Estelle--I hope you enjoy the book half as much as we enjoy Thanksgiving, eh? LOL..Thank you for stopping in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, ladies. Penny what super questions! Loved hearing your answers, Janet. I've started your book, Janet,and like it. Love you've got a woman minister as the main character. But gosh once you go into promoting a book mode (which doesn't come out until July), you're not left with much time to read and little to write except for blog posts. They are fun though. Good luck with sales of both your books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gail--I think folks are more curious about the pig and the kangaroo than they are about solving the murder!!

    Penny--I love your description of the book being a winner. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. JQ- It's been a while since I've read a mystery or romance novel (been on a YA kick for a long time), but I may just have to pick yours up! I'm curious, and I liked the excerpt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Erin. The good news is there is mystery AND romance in my book!! 2 for 1..such a deal!! LOL..

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's truly amazing how much we have in common. Great interview, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi JQ, I have checked out the book. It's on my wish list. I'm looking forward to reading it. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Who doesn't like a cozy?

    ReplyDelete