Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Conrad Johnson, Till The Moon Falls





AUTHOR: Conrad Johnson
BOOK TITLE: Till The Moon Falls
PUBLISHER: John H. Byk


Why don't you start with telling us a little about yourself? What genre do you write in and why?

I was born and raised in the city of Detroit, Michigan. Not the suburbs. Crime was everywhere, and although I managed to escape alive, it has created a lasting impression that compels me to write in that genre.

Tell me about your current book which you are promoting.

Till The Moon Falls  is about John Oxman, a crusty ex merchant seaman, who comes to the aid of a beautiful woman who has been drugged, violated and on the run after having bio engineered, nanotechnology implanted into her body against her will. Little does he know that his attempts to help her leads him into a web of international and corporate intrigue.

How long have you been writing?
Since as long as I can remember.
What got you interested in writing, and what inspired you to write your first book?
Although I wrote a lot professionally and academically, I always wanted to write a novel. An old friend told me that, now that I'm living alone, just go ahead and do it so I did.
Do you outline before you write? If not, what’s your initial process?

I never outline. Never have and probably never will. I just think of a premise and start writing.

What comes first: the plot or the characters?
Characters always drive the plot for me. I base them on my own experiences or on other people I've known in my life.
Which of your characters do you love/hate/fear/pity the most and why?

John Oxman is the perfectly flawed character. He has a heart of gold but the bad luck of a blind beggar man born in Bombay.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Proofreading. I hate proofreading.
Did your book require a lot of research? How long does it take to write a book for you?

I only look up geographical facts or statistics needed for my plot. I like research but not so much in novel writing.

What are some of the challenges in your writing process?

Learning to believe that what I'm doing doesn't totally stink.

Describe your writing space.
Comfortably messy with a window view and a coffee pot and cookies within arm's reach.
What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
Read, fish, hike, sail, watch movies or sleep, not necessarily in that order.
What advice would you give a new writer just starting out?

If you're in it for the money, study to become an auto mechanic or a plumber instead.

Where can people learn more about you and your work?





EXCERPT:

            "First time to a full moon party?
            "Yep. First time."
            "Well, relax and enjoy yourselves," said Brittany. "There's never any
trouble here. Did you see our yacht anchored in the bay when you came
in?"
            "No, we didn't."
            "We're on an extended holiday cruising the South Seas. Thailand is
one of our most favorite places, especially Ko Phangan."
            "It's so exotic," said Betty. "I've traveled a lot but I've never been
anywhere like this."
            "Why don't you take come clothes off, dear?" asked Brittany. "It's a
hot night."
            Oxman didn't have a problem removing his shirt but he wasn't in the
mood to bare his ass. He saw Betty sweating and wondered what she
would do, considering her recent mutilation.
            "I just had an operation" she said to Brittany. "I don't care to show
my scars at the moment."
            "That's all right, honey. I understand. Do whatever makes you feel
comfortable. No pressure here, right Jake?"
            "None whatsoever," he said and took a big hit from a bong that was
passed to him. He held it for awhile and then exhaled a plume of white
smoke into the night air and gulped from his beer. Then he passed the
bong to Brittany who did the same and handed it to Betty and said, "This
is some awesome shit. Thai weed is killer."
            "Killer," said Jake in a strange, drug induced tone of voice.
            Betty held the bong in her hands, unsure of what to do.
            "Here, let me help you, hon," said Brittany and she lifted the
instrument to Betty's mouth and told her to suck in real hard as she lit the
bowl with an ember from the fire. Oxman watched Betty inhale deeply,
her cheeks collapsing at the effort.
            "Now hold it in for as long as you can," advised Brittany.
            Betty tried but started coughing up smoke after a couple of seconds
and a ripple of laughter spread through the group.
            "Wow!" said Betty, handing the bong to Oxman. "What a rush!"
            Oxman didn't want to be a dud but he didn't want to get stoned either,
so he pretended to inhale, lighting the bowl by himself and then put his
head down between his knees, letting the smoke escape so nobody could
see. He passed the bong to the next person beside him, a skinny hipster
with a full beard and braided locks, who grabbed it like it was the last
drink of water on earth.





1 comment: