Thursday, June 20, 2013

Cheryl Gorman, The Rancher and The Event Planner





AUTHOR: Cheryl Gorman
BOOK TITLE: The Rancher and The Event Planner
PUBLISHER: Prairie Wind Communications

Please tell us about yourself? 
I’m a wife, mother, housekeeper, cook, laundress, gardener, chauffer and author of six romance novels and one non-fiction collaborative project called Ten Steps to Creating Memorable Characters. Our special-needs daughter is twenty-two and our two furry brown children, Pilot and Rocky are almost three years old. We live in the beautiful state of Colorado and have a view of the mountains from our home.

Tell us your latest news? 
The first book in the Salvation Texas Series, The Rancher and The Event Planner has been released on Amazon.  The next two titles in the series are The Judge and The Trailer Park Queen and The Cowboy and The Matchmaker. Look for these books on Amazon this year. 

When and why did you begin writing? 
I started writing because I had characters in my head that were begging me to put their stories on paper.

When did you first consider yourself a writer? 
The moment  I typed the first word.

What inspired you to write your first book? 
I wanted to write a story about a prim British school teacher and a man who is haunted by his horrific past.  This book became Wolf Island and is available on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Island-ebook/dp/B009378XPK

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? 
In The Rancher and The Event Planner the message is simple: Home is where the heart is.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?  (Has anyone ever realized it?) 
No, my books are pure fiction and have no relation to any person living or dead.

What books have most influenced your life most? 
My favorite book of all time is Jane Eyre because for me it is one of the most passionate love stories ever written and it contains absolutely no sex. At the end of the book there is no doubt in my mind that Jane and Mr. Rochester are forever soul mates who will have a lifetime of happiness.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor? 
Published author: Eliza Knight Unpublished: Tina Eden

What book are you reading now? What do you like, or not, about it? 
I am reading Deadly Recall, a romantic suspense by Donnell Ann Bell. This book is well written, with a great mystery and suspense along with a terrific romance woven into the plot. Donnell is a master at pacing, building great characters and keeping the reader on the edge of their seat.

What are your current projects? 
I am working on my first Inspirational Western historical set in 1870’s Colorado called Spring Valley Bride. I’m also working on a new contemporary romance called Right Before His Eyes.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book? 
No. The Rancher and The Event Planner is everything I hoped it would be.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated? 
I would have to say when I was a little girl and began reading the newspaper before I started school. From that moment, I wanted to read anything I could get my hands on. I also loved English class, doing term papers and writing short stories and poems.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing? 
EVERYTHING! Writing is hard. Period. It’s hard whether you are a beginner or you are a publishing phenomenon like Nora Roberts. Nothing about writing is easy.

Do you ever have problems with writers block?  If so how do you get through it? 
Yes, writer’s block usually pops up when I am beginning a new book or when I’ve finished the first draft of a book. It arrives in the form of horrible, crippling self-doubt. That’s when my muse, who is a man with long dark hair and blue eyes and lives in a really cool tree house sends over his assistant. She always wears a suit, spike heels and packs a flame thrower. She zaps my self-doubt into tiny particles and sends them to a black hole in space.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing? 
I garden and I play the harp. I also love hanging out with my family, having dinner together and watching movies and television series especially if they are British.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work? 
My favorite author is Susan Elizabeth Phillips and I love her work because she builds the most amazing, unforgettable, grab-your-heart-and-won’t-let-go characters.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Believing that it was a really good story that needed to be told. Besides that everything about writing is hard.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? 
That I am a good writer, it’s part of who I am and I have to keep writing.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
If you really want to be a writer you must never, never, never, EVER give up on your dream. Surround yourself with supportive people and never let anyone belittle you for wanting to be a writer and this includes family members, friends, minister, doctor, lawyer or Indian chief. Learn to handle criticism—good criticism—and you will learn the good from the bad as you grow as a writer. Because of the head-turning changes happening in the publishing industry today, the opportunities for writers are incredible. You don’t have to go with a traditional publisher, an e-publisher or acquire an agent in order to be published. You can publish independently but the one thing you must do is have your manuscript professionally edited before you publish it. You have only one chance to make a first impression and you want your readers to be wowed.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? 
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for buying and reading my books. You are everything to me and I am humbled by each sale. My soul purpose as a writer is to entertain and take you into a great fictional world. I pray that I reach that goal with every book I write.

Any special appearances or events coming up that you want to mention? 
I am rebuilding my web site and hope to have it up soon.

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them? 
I am an independent author and published my book  through Prairie Wind Communications, a very small company that I co-own with my husband.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.

Twitter: @cherylgorman3




Blurb for The Rancher and The Event Planner:

After taking her eyes off the road for a second, Jennifer “JC” Barrett flattened a mail box, nearly killed a man, a dog and her career. Now she must complete thirty days of community service in her home town of Salvation, Texas helping sexy ranch owner and mayor, Rafe McCord revitalize the town for a chance at winning The Best Texas Vacation Contest before she can plan the most important event of her career. JC stopped believing in fairy tales and happily ever after a long time ago. But Rafe is a cowboy fantasy in the flesh and romantic feelings she doesn’t believe exist are 
growing in her heart.

Rafe knows he isn’t good at relationships as he was never able to make his deceased wife happy. Unfortunately, the local judge—his soon-to-be-disowned brother—has saddled him with his best friend’s little sister, Jennifer Barrett to help the town win the contest, give a much needed boost to the economy of Salvation and a chance to host the East Texas Rodeo. Only Jennifer has changed from an ugly duckling into a gorgeous swan and resisting her is impossible.








Chapter One

            WELCOME TO SALVATION, TEXAS. The sign sported a smiley face as an exclamation point and a bullet hole over the “I”...which pretty much summed up Salvation in one image.
            “Welcome to hell is what they should say,” JC Barrett said to herself. Thank goodness she was only passing through her home town and not staying. Her brother, Cade still lived in Salvation but she knew he’d understand if she didn’t stop by and see him. He loved this town and she hated it. Always had, always would. Besides, Rafe McCord lived here and she had mixed feelings about seeing him again.
            She glanced at the dashboard clock. Another hour and a half and she’d be in Dallas to oversee Senator Grant’s fundraising gala for her Shreveport employer, ‘Affairs to Remember’. She cranked the fan on the air conditioner of her compact car and grabbed another chocolate chip cookie from the bag sitting on the passenger seat.
She bit into the cookie savoring the sweet chocolate, and tried to ignore the fact she’d be wearing the cookies tomorrow on her hips and thighs. True, she’d have to put in some extra time on the treadmill to work off the calories, but right now she needed chocolate—bad. Especially before planning a big event. She zipped down Main Street, passed Duncan’s Hardware, Joe’s Market and Phillip’s Pharmacy. The town had always been on a first name basis with itself. Some people might call that cozy and comforting. JC called it suffocating.
With one hand on the wheel, she dug around inside her purse with the other. Damn it. The cell phone continued to ring. Probably her boss with some last minute instructions.
For a moment, she took her eyes off the road while she groped for her phone. A siren’s wail filled the air with an ear-piercing scream, and her head snapped up. A police car with flashing lights ate up the road behind her. “Holy Christmas monkeys.”
Her gaze jerked back to the road as a small dog darted across the pavement in front of her. A spurt of panic fueled with adrenaline zipped through JC’s body. She wrenched the steering wheel to the right and slammed on the brakes, narrowly missing the ball of white fur. The car skidded in a circle for what seemed an eternity. Breath gusted from her lungs in short, ragged gasps. “OhmyGodOhmyGodOhmyGod!”





2 comments:

  1. Hi Penny, thank you so much for having me on your blog today. It's great to be here. :)

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Cher!
    I've *almost* finished The Rancher and the Event Planner. There aren't enough hours in the day! Good story!

    ReplyDelete