Monday, June 10, 2013

Sharon Willett, Country and the Rock




AUTHOR:  Sharon Willett
BOOK TITLE:  Country and The Rock
PUBLISHER:  MuseItYoung


Why don't you start with telling us a little about yourself? What genre do you write in and why?

I write for Mid-Grade boys because years ago my son found reading difficult. Very few books could keep his interest, so I write high action and adventure to capture and keep them reading.


Tell me about your current book which you are promoting.

Country and The Rock is the first book in a planned trilogy. Sean West, aka Country, meets a young alien boy that wants to know what it’s like to be an Earth boy.
How long have you been writing?
I’ve always found it easier to express myself in words, but serious writing only in the last ten years.
Do you outline before you write? If not, what’s your initial process?

A vague outline helps me keep focused then I fill in more detail as it goes. I give myself lots of space to be creative.

What comes first: the plot or the characters?
This is a tough question because they are both vital. If you make me chose I’d say characters. I form my characters from people I know, but they always become their own person, almost like I really know them. That does sound really strange.
Which of your characters do you love/hate/fear/pity the most and why?

Miguel, one of the boys that help Clicker know Earth fun, is my favorite. His mom and dad died in a car accident when he was young. His much older sister adopted him. He has a good life but hides his loss in humor. He’s the joker of the group. Well, he thinks he’s funny.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
I find the hardest part is getting the first draft on paper. I’m a get it done now kind of person and with the first draft you have to take lots of dream-it-up time.

Did your book require a lot of research? How long does it take to write a book for you?

 The first Country book took about five years to write. Probably because I didn’t know how to ‘write’. The second Country book COUNTRY CAPTURED only took a year and I want you to know I just signed the contract for that. It will be out in October 2013 with MuseItYoung.

Describe your writing space.
I turned a spare bedroom into my office. My husband put shelves up in the closet for books and bought me a huge desk. There are three corkboards that I’ve covered with festive wrapping paper, making it easy to change the mood of the room for very little investment. Oh, and I always burn candles while I write.
What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
I like watching my grandkids play softball, auctions, and working with glass.
What advice would you give a new writer just starting out?

A new writer should take classes, meet people, and join groups because we need each other. Writers are a giving bunch. I’m so grateful to MuseItUp Susan Davis for all the help she’s been to me. Not to mention cool people like yourself, Penny. Thank you!

Where can people learn more about you and your work?

I don’t have a blog, but I do have a kid friendly website http://www.swillett.com and a facebook page for Country and The Rock. I’d love to see you at either or both.



Synopsis: 

Twelve-year-old Sean West, also known as Country, sees an explosion of light and finds clues that lead him to Clicker, a young alien that wants to know what it's like to be a boy on Earth. Country and his friends take Clicker fishing, ride dirt bike, tangle with ground bees, and learn about the planet Sory in the Whirlpool Galaxy. They are twarted by Country's pesky sister, the local sheriff, FBI, and some thieves from Venatici.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely book, Sharon. Good luck with all your endeavors, and congrats on the new contract signing!

    Great post, as always Penny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Yolanda. I am excited to be part of such a great group as MuseItUp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you burn candles when you write, eh? How very interesting! I never thought of that. I used to do that sometimes when I wrote music. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely interview Sharon and Penny. Your book sounds like real fun. Kids being kids, curious, mischievous, wherever they come from; the type of book kids would open first on Christmas morning. Congratulations on your contracts too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Suzanne. Try it you'll feel the energy. Did you know that in India they put candles around a sick elephant to help with the healing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy, didn't I just see you here last week? Glad you're here. Boys are fun to write because of those very things you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Penny. I enjoyed my visit.

    ReplyDelete