Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Gloria Oren, Selling Yourself and Your Product




AUTHOR: Gloria Oren
BOOK TITLE: SELLING YOURSELF AND YOUR PRODUCT: A Guide for Writers
GENRE: Nonfiction
PUBLISHER:KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing)
BUY LINK: http://www.amazon.com/Gloria-Oren/e/B00CJWSZWM/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1377618791&sr=1-2-ent



Also Gloria has set up a newsletter Soapbox Buzz to be sent weekly. It can be subscribed to either from her website (http://gloriaoren.com) or her FB Writer Ventures page (https://www.facebook.com/GloriaOrenWriter)


Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?

I started out as a part-timer as I had a day job. I was laid off the end of December 2012 and have been unemployed since. Having a hard time finding a replacement job that would accommodate my needs due to certain health conditions I resorted to making my writing and editing my new endeavors. I try to write daily, but when I’m just not up to it, I take a day to just stop and smell the roses, I pick it up the next day.

Since I like to get it out of the way and it is also a good warm up for my editing tasks, I do the writing first thing in the morning.

When and why did you begin writing?

I started writing decisively during the Long Ridge Writers Group Breaking Into Print course. After my reunion with my birth mother in 1996, I began writing my memoir which continued to be in process for the next ten or so years. I began writing this so others who were in the same situation could see that there was light at the end of the tunnel, and even though they may not have the information they need, they could still be successful if they just persist and never give up. The same is true with writing. If you believe in your book, keep going forward until it gets published and then keep the effort in the promoting.

What inspired you to write your first book?

As I said above, the first book I penned was my adoption memoir, and over the years I had the opportunity to correspond with other adoptees. I discovered that many were hesitant to search due to lack of information, a situation I faced when I first set out on my search. Having concluded a successful reunion I knew that this was an opportunity to share my story with others, to show them that they should proceed and search no matter how much information they had, especially, with the growth of the Internet and DNA testing today that makes it so much easier, although it still is hard at times.

What are your thoughts about promotion?

Let me quote the first paragraph of the book that will show my thoughts on promotion.

            “The art of promoting oneself accurately is the writers’ selling world. Being able to sell yourselves as writers and sell the materials you create, creates the foundation for success. Knowing how to sell, though, is not enough. Published writers, who wish to make a name for themselves as successful authors, must also become first-class promoters. Writers as salespeople are the steam that propels their writing business.”
           
Did you learn anything from writing your book, and what was it?

I learned a lot while writing this book. The main thing I learned was that being shy must be overcome. If one doesn’t toot his or her own horn, no one else will. It is my responsibility to create success. Success doesn’t just appear out of nowhere. It takes work and lots of effort.

What are your current projects?

I have three current writing projects.
1)    Finding an agent or publisher for my adoption memoir FOREVER BONDED AT BIRTH: An Adoptee’s Search for Her Roots.
2)    Research for my next nonfiction book, for which I haven’t yet decided on a title. It is about the forgotten U.S. presidents who served terms prior to the Constitution.
3)    Creating more Kindle books, and possibly turning SELLING YOURSELF AND YOUR PRODUCT: a Writer’s Guide into a paperback through Create Space.

I am also working on some editing projects.

What gave you the idea for this particular book?

Today I will be discussing my new eBook Selling Yourself and Your Product: A Guide for Writer. How did I get the idea? Well, it’s funny but it came to me from an unexpected source. I came across a 1904 book about salesmen who traveled to their customers by train. I read the book and started thinking that much of what they did marketing-wise could be replicated for the purpose of selling ourselves as writers and selling our books, without the real hard sell. All this led to this book.

What do you hope readers will take away from your book?

I hope readers take away ideas they can use in promoting themselves and their books. I want them to feel good about themselves. I hope they will feel good about my book and recommend it to their colleagues as well.

What types of writing do you prefer, and why? 

I prefer nonfiction. I like researching things I want to know more about, especially if it can involve genealogy. For example, I am working on researching my second book about the confederate congress presidents and some of the research will involve genealogical resources.

What draws you to non-fiction writing?

I guess it is the issue of truth. I love to read true stories. I like to write about true stories and events that took place as well.

What are your views on self-publishing versus traditional publishing?

I prefer traditional since I love cuddling up with an actual product in my hand. E-readers are good for quick reads, but it just isn’t the same. Having said that, there are books that I feel comfortable going with self-publishing such as this one. I am considering it as a last resort for my memoir if I fail to have it picked up by an agent or publisher, but prefer to attempt the traditional route first.

What, if anything, bugs you when you read a novel?

Typos and grammatical errors. It makes me wonder who the editor was. One or two, okay, we’re not perfect. But with more than one set of eyes we should be able to catch them, one would think.

What book are you currently reading? What do you like or not like about it?

Just finished a Kindle book called Aroma of Orange Pekoe by Jeff Takari. It is an interesting book, a memoir, especially if you’re a tea drinker. He tells what it is like working the tea plantations of India. I also just finished Lost Daughter by Mary Williams about her life as the daughter of a Black Panther, her adoption by Jane Fonda, her reunion with her birth family, and the journey she took to find herself. A very interesting read.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc.?

Blogs: Gloria’s Corner http://gloriascorner.com/
            Family Links Matter http://familylinks.blog.com/
                 (fan page) https://www.facebook.com/GloriaOrenWriter
                  (group page) Women Writers, Editors, Agents, and Publishers
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/wweap/
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/
            Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2049009-gloria
            Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gloriaoren/






Excerpt:


“The art of promoting oneself accurately is the writers’ selling world. Being able to sell yourselves as writers and sell the materials you create, creates the foundation for success. Knowing how to sell, though, is not enough. Published writers, who wish to make a name for themselves as successful authors, must also become first-class promoters. Writers as salespeople are the steam that propels their writing business.

Referred to often, as the fourth profession, the art of selling for the writer is the combination of writing, editing, proofreading, and marketing (including promotion). It is not; it is the first. Writers, who write to get published, must first research, write, proof, and edit their work so they can reach that goal. However, even before their work reaches the publication stage, they must promote (or sell) themselves. Today we call this building a platform.”

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Gloria. I went to Amazon and got a copy of your book. Thank you! I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne, hope you enjoy the book. If you could post a review on Amazon afterwards I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
      Gloria

      Delete