Monday, September 30, 2013

Mel Favreaux, Walker’s Run, a Sanctuary Novel: Book One




AUTHOR: Mel Favreaux
BOOK TITLE: Walker’s Run, a Sanctuary Novel: Book One
GENRE: Paranormal Romance
PUBLISHER: MuseItUp Publishing


About me:

I am a single mother to, two very bright, silly kids. A boy and a girl. They seriously bring me to tears on a daily basis from both laughter and rage. They are an incredible source of entertainment. So, I’m a mom and then an author. I love to read, I really have no genre preference other than fiction. I read everything!

I have an unusual sense of humor. If you are absolutely NOT supposed to laugh, I will. Yes, I have been known to laugh at funerals

Latest News:

Walker’s Run, A Sanctuary Novel was released from Muse It Up Publishing on August 30th and the second book in the series Shadow Walker, A Sanctuary Novel Book II is to be released, Spring 2014.

When and why did you begin writing?

I was thirteen and in the eighth grade. A couple of us girls were writing short stories for each other and it was something I really enjoyed doing and just kept it up.

What inspired you to write your first book?

It was the summer after eighth grade. I’d finished reading a book by one of my favorite authors and was so angry that I threw the book and said I could do better. (That first one however, will never see the light of day!) I still so very much love that author and one day I will go back and reread that book. But for now I can safely say it was because of that particular author and book that I wrote my first manuscript and just never stopped.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?

Reading. I read as much as I can and my kids and I read together. I am currently finishing up the Harry Potter series with them, (complete with the accents, yes Mommy rocks with accents) and we are going to start on the Chronicles of Narnia series.

What are your current projects?

I am currently working on books four and five of the Sanctuary Series and waiting to find out if the third one will be picked up by MuseItUp.

What do you plan for the future?

This series is growing and I have a spin-off in the works as well. I am so looking forward to sharing it all.

What genre do you write in and why?

I currently have two very different genres published through Muse. A women’s contemporary fiction entitled Valor of a Woman and a paranormal romance, Walker’s Run, A Sanctuary Novel. Currently I’m working through the series and it’s spin-off which is pnr…but I do have a plan for a sweet romance in the near future. I read everything, so writing it all seems just as natural.

Tell us about the current book you’re promoting.

Walker’s Run is a story about a jaded photographer who goes home to reevaluate her career and the direction she wants her life to go. A camping trip into the wilds of Northwestern Montana had fallen through with her dad and brother, but undeterred she’d gone alone. Casey finds herself in the middle of a twenty year vendetta against her father for killing the Alpha of a pack of werewolves who hold a Sanctuary deep in the mountains of the Cabinets.

In a battle for her life, Casey finds herself falling for the new Alpha of the pack while he shows her how to handle and communicate with her own wolf. When they discover the wolf spirit that chose her was the Mother of all Weres more treachery ensues.

Deep family secrets, a twenty year infatuation, and a two thousand year old murder, would Casey’s link with the Silver wolf be enough to save them all?

What gave you the idea for this particular book?

I’ve dreamt about most of these characters since my teen years and I finally decided to write them when I started reading paranormal romances. I felt it was time they finally had their voices heard.

What comes first: the plot or characters?

I would have to say characters. Usually a general idea of a character will come about then the basic plot. As I flesh out the character more, the subplots appear. I don’t consider it a complicated process, but I am a pantser. I can’t plot an outline because my stories are character driven. They change things up on me ALL the time.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Not letting the secondary characters over shadow the primary ones. A lot of people adore one of the secondary characters and I seriously had to do massive rewrites to tame her. But rest assured, fans of Amber, Shadow Walker that comes out in the Spring of 2014, is her story.

What seven words would you use to describe yourself?

Mom –Because that is what I am.
IPPL –my coined term for Inappropriate Laughter Syndrome.
Insane? –I’d have to be to create some of my characters.
Grumpy –Until I have my coffee…well mostly all the time.
Funny –I’m a deadpan comic…for some reason people love it.
Helper –I really love helping new authors out, brainstorming ideas helping them around blocks.
Bitchy –Meh…right often actually.


What was your most embarrassing moment as an author?

My children are so proud of me being an author, they have no idea the stuff I write borders on erotica (in some cases can be considered). So when we have classroom get-togethers they tell everyone mommy’s a writer! I get crowded by moms and I am…painfully bashful. So when one mom leans over and whispered in my ear, “Any riding crops in your stories?” amidst a roomful of five year olds…I dropped everything in my hands, which included a tray of cupcakes.


How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc.?








           
Excerpt:

“I can’t take any more of this,” Casey Maynard mumbled, watching the model she was photographing turn from the camera to puke in the bucket that had been strategically placed out of the scene.

Dorian Xanthis sighed, pulling another roll of film out. “It looks like this is going to be a long day.”

Casey turned to her assistant and shook her head. “I can’t do this anymore, Dori. I’m done with all of this. Three a.m. shoots with models and actresses who have to be coddled by their handlers. This is not why I got into photography.”

Dori’s eyes widened. “What are you saying?”

Another violent round of wretches came from the make-shift stage. “How much longer do you think it will take this time?” Casey ground her teeth and the model’s handler glared back at her.

“She had a movie premiere last night—”

“I don’t give a sh*t if she did a groundbreaking ceremony with the royal family! This is bullsh*t! My time is just as valuable. But what do I know? I’m just the one that takes these mind-blowing shots to revamp the careers of those who have fallen out of the limelight.” Casey threw her camera at the stage, hearing it break all to hell. She didn’t care.

Turning, she stormed out of her studio into the cool predawn morning. How had things turned into this?

“Casey! Y-you can’t walk out like that,” Dori said running out to her.

“Why? Can’t I act like a superficial b*tch? How many of those have we had to shoot this month? What should have taken two hours tops, turns into a five or six hour fiasco. I’m done.”

Dori shook her head, taking Casey’s arm. “Don’t do this. You’re going to regret it. You’ll ruin your career.”

“Right now, I don’t care. I…I just need to get away for a while. Go home. Go camping with my dad and brother. Get away from civilization for a little bit. I’m feeling caged in.” “A vacation then.”

Dori nodded. “I can postpone all your shoots for a while.”

Casey sighed, looking back at her studio. The very last thing she wanted to do was return to the madness her career had become, but she wouldn’t tell Dori that. She would spare her assistant’s feelings for a while. Out of the three she’d had over the last ten years, Dori had been the most competent and a good friend and confident too.

“Call me in a couple of days and let me know how you’re doing, okay?”

“I’ll try to, but out in the woods there is no signal.”

Dori wrinkled her nose. “I keep forgetting you’re one of those people.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“F*^king hell Casey, you are far more beautiful than those you shoot. The difference is you don’t need an ounce of makeup to make you look good. You’re a natural beauty. And you can rough it and not worry about the essentials.”

Casey scoffed and waived her off. “Yeah.” She sighed, purposefully looking away from the studio. “I just need some time to get back to the basics and reevaluate everything. The crap we’re dealing with is not why I started taking pictures.”

“Just think long and hard, okay? I really like my job.”

No comments:

Post a Comment