Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Christina Weigand, Palace of the Three Crosses





AUTHOR: Christina Weigand
BOOK TITLE: Palace of the Three Crosses: Book Two
GENRE: YA Christian Fantasy
PUBLISHER: MuseItUp Publishing

Please tell us about yourself.
Christina Weigand’s a writer, wife, and mother of three grown children and a middle school daughter. She is also Nana to three granddaughters. She lives with her husband and youngest daughter in Pennsylvania, returning there after a short sabbatical in Washington. Currently, she’s working on fantasy novels and inspirational writing. Through her writing, she strives to share the Word of God and help people young and old to realize the love and mercy He has for everyone.

When she’s not writing, she’s active in her local Church as a lector, Bible Study, or with the church theater group, volunteering at her daughter’s school helping the children develop a love for reading and writing. Jesus fills her home with love as she shares Him through her writing. 

Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?
I guess you would say a full-time writer. I don’t work outside the home, but I do have a twelve year old and I volunteer at her school as well as being a taxi and doing all the mother things. My writing is fit around the family schedule most of the time. November is the only month that my writing will move higher on the priority list although it never completely displaces the family.

What are your current projects? What do you plan for the future?
For the present I am still working on edits for the trilogy. I have a few starts sitting on my computer and I’m waiting for the characters to start making noise and wanting their story told.  Some of my dragons are on earth and travel through the history of Christianity helping the new Christians defend their faith. I have about five stories started at different times in the history and am anxious to finish one of them. Tomas is also making some noise to have his story told. So I definitely have a few projects to choose from. It’s just figuring out who is making the loudest and the most noise.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc.?
Twitter: @CAWeigand
Email: palaceofthetwelvepillars@gmail.com

Any other news you’d like to share?
The suspenseful conclusion to the Palace of the Twelve Pillars trilogy, Sanctuary of the Nine Dragons will be released in February 2014. The twins, their wives and a new generation will join the dragons to save Ramajadin from the evil Sidramah.


Is this story written for adults or children? Why did you target this audience?
Young adults. The books are geared to young people because they are at a point in their lives where they are having to make choices. I wanted to show them that there are alternatives as well as consequences for the choices they make. And to hopefully supply them with the tools to make the choices.

Do you believe in ghosts?  Why or why not?
Well based on the fact that I included them in my books, I guess I do. I like to think that God has provided me with helpers to guide me down the right path.
  
Does your main character believe in ghosts?  Why or why not?
I never really thought about it, but I guess they do since when they encounter ghosts they are not frightened. The ghosts serve to offer advice and show support for a character who is struggling with something.

Have you ever encountered a ghost or paranormal event? Please describe it.
Unfortunately no. I would have loved to be visited by a friendly ghost.

Are your ghosts friendly, angry, hurtful, helpful, known or unknown to your
main character? Why did you choose this type of ghost?
My ghosts are the friendly type and known to the character they are relating too. They offer advice, sometimes cryptic to the characters. There are a few places in the book where the character wouldn’t listen to anyone but a ghost.

What kind of research did you do for this type of book?
Names of people and places for one. Then medieval life in Ireland and Germany. And some historical facts as to the development of technology as well as some magic so I could create spells.

Which characters were the hardest to develop: living or dead?  Why?
Probably the twins Brandan and Joachim. Brandan because he is the bad boy and I’m not. I had to plumb the depths of his soul to see how he would operate.

FUN FACTS:

What is your favorite:

Food? Chocolate
Season? Fall or Spring
Holiday?  Christmas and Easter


EXCERPT:


Derdrom walked forward leading Lilia in chains. 

“We could have been one happy family, but now, I have to kill the two of you along with Lilia. You brats have put me in disfavor with Sidramah, and the only way to regain his favor is to get rid of all three of you. I had hoped to spare at least one, but alas, that is now impossible. The only question is…who’s first? The time has come for a decision.”

Brandan stood beside Joachim, his face working with barely controlled rage. Brandan lunged toward Waldrom.

Waldrom sensed the presence of magic and glanced behind him. Rupert and Lukan stood behind him. He grabbed Lilia and pulled her close, placing his short sword at her throat. “I suggest you stop, or I will cut her throat,” he warned Brandan. To emphasize his point, he pressed the sword against her skin puncturing her flesh.

Brandan, with sword drawn, took another step.

“I wouldn’t do that, unless you want your mother's corpse on your hands.”

Brandan advanced, as Waldrom muttered a spell to compel the king to keep moving and cut a little deeper drawing blood. He felt Lilia quivering in his arms.

A woman stepped out of the chapel, carrying a sword covered in blood. “Brandan, what are you doing? There’s a battle being fought. Why are you out here and not inside helping me?”

Waldrom glanced at the new arrival. He did not recognize her and turned his attention back to Brandan, who was still advancing. “Well, I see you’ve gone and made yourself right at home. You even found a strumpet to help warm the place up. I should have known you wouldn’t waste any time. Sorry to break up this little party, but it’s still my kingdom. I would greatly appreciate if you would all leave. But, since you won’t go, I’ll have to remove you myself. Where were we? I was deciding which of you to kill. I see, though, a few have been added to the numbers. All the more fun for me. Although it may be a little more painful for you, but that doesn’t matter. Should Lilia remain my first choice?”

* * * *

Magda grabbed Brandan's arm. She recognized Waldrom and had as much against him as Brandan and her father. “Wait, Brandan, I will deal with this.”

She moved toward Waldrom, but a voice in her head cautioned her. “Don’t reveal yourself. This is not our battle. Walk away. Let Waldrom do what he will.” She glanced around. Whose voice did she hear? It sounded like Melvane, but he was nowhere in sight. Upon further consideration, she realized this wasn’t her battle. She had every reason to want Waldrom out of the way, and if she let him get rid of these humans and the Kningrad, then she could deal with him at my leisure.

The voice spoke again. “That is right, let Waldrom do what he may, and then we will take care of him.”

Magda dropped her sword arm. “Brandan I don’t know what’s going on here, but I don’t want any part of it.” She turned and walked back into the chapel. “Hurry up and finish out here. I’ve taken care of those in the chapel so we can begin the joining once you’ve ended things. we’ve a joining to conclude. I’ll be waiting.” She slammed the door behind her. Waldrom’s voice followed her into the echoing chamber of the chapel.

Waldrom laughed. “Brandan, I would say you haven’t made a very good choice. You should be grateful I am going to end your life so you don’t have to put up with her much longer. Now where was I?”

* * * *

Joachim wanted to run to Lilia, but his head whirled. Stars floated in front of his eyes, their motion making him sick with dizziness. He stepped up to stand beside Brandan. “Waldrom, I’m afraid you’re mistaken. First, you are seriously outnumbered. Second, what makes you think you can use Mother to blackmail us? Such childishness, using a woman to negotiate, instead of dealing on a man-to-man level. Let her go, and we will discuss your surrender. I don’t want to kill you.”

Brandan pushed Joachim aside. “You may not, brother, but I do. He will stop at nothing to destroy me, and I can’t let that happen.”

A group of Brandan's personal guard came charging down the hall. Waldrom pushed the sword point a little further into Lilia's throat. “I see you boys still don’t agree on anything. I suggest you stop the group of soldiers from attacking me. Rupert, I know you’re back there, trying to form a spell to stop me. That wouldn’t be a good idea either.”

The tableau unfolded before Joachim's eyes. Waldrom, in the center of the circle holding Lilia with a short sword slicing her throat and Brandan, his long sword drawn, advancing on Waldrom. Rupert and Lukan stood motionless behind Waldrom. Lukan had his sword drawn. Conflicting voices rang in Joa's head. “Kill them all. You don’t need them.” Other voices calling, “Joachim save them. They need you.”

Lukan yelled, “Sire, watch out behind you.”

Joachim started and turned as a Mantion rushed at him. He pulled his short sword from his scabbard and stood before the coming onslaught. As the attacker reached him, he swung his weapon cutting and angering the Mantion. The foe sliced at Joachim's knees with his knife, leaving a gash in his thigh. When Joachim doubled over in pain, the Mantion leapt on his back and pummeled the king. Suddenly, the weight of the attacker lifted from his back. Joachim fearfully turned his head, expecting to see the Mantion standing over him ready to deliver the kill stroke.

No comments:

Post a Comment