Monday, October 21, 2013

Stuart R. West, Tex and the Gangs of Suburbia






AUTHOR: Stuart R. West
BOOK TITLE: Tex And The Gangs Of Suburbia
GENRE: YA paranormal thriller
PUBLISHER: Muse-It-Up Publishing
BUY LINK:
http://museituppublishing.com/bookstore2/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=759&category_id=281&manufacturer_id=277&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Tex, The Witch Boy on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tex-The-Witch-Boy-ebook/dp/B00B3U5OWU/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374849079&sr=1-1



Tex And The Gangs Of Suburbia on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tex-Gangs-Suburbia-Witch-ebook/dp/B00E5RWBGA/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374849134&sr=1-1&keywords=Tex+and+the+gangs+of+suburbia


Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?

Penny, I’m a full-time writer and even fuller-timed house-husband. In this household, we’re doing our best to keep gender roles reversed.

When and why did you begin writing?

Started about three years ago. The company I’d slaved away for close to two and a half decades finally (mercifully) shut their doors. My wife asked me what I wanted to do next. “Write,” I said. The most awesome wife in the world replied, “okay.”

What inspired you to write your first book?

High school bullying! It happened to me, it happened to my daughter, it’s happening everywhere all the time. I’m exorcising my demons and hoping to reach other bullied teens. Bullying’s a problem that seems to be timeless and isn’t going away.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?

Cooking, cleaning, exercising, or watching bad genre films (a peculiar hobby of mine).

What are your thoughts about promotion?

It’s my least favorite part of writing. I know it’s necessary, but I hate trumpeting myself. Not very good at it. I told my wife my ultimate marketing plan is to either get on a reality TV show (“Honey Stu-Stu”) or shoot a celebrity. Marketing gold!

Do you ever have writer’s block? If so, how do you get through it?

I’ll watch a TERRIBLE movie. It’s like “preparation H” for the brain.

What are your current projects?

Tex, The Witch Boy and Tex And The Gangs Of Suburbia are both out now. December sees the release of the third in the series, Tex And The God Squad. Early next year will see the release of my first adult paranormal thriller Neighborhood Watch.

What do you plan for the future?

A cure for cancer. Barring that, I have several books I’m currently working on. Nearly completed is a spin-off from the Tex series focusing on a character introduced in the second book.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc.?

BLOG: http://stuartrwest.blogspot.com/

FACEBOOK:
https://www.facebook.com/stuartrwestwriter?fref=ts

Tex, The Witch Boy trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6YA8yjNVMc




What is your experience working or being around the paranormal?

Alas, I haven’t had any paranormal experiences, although I’d love to experience one. So, I’m putting out a request for all ghosts…come haunt me, please!

Why do you feel qualified to write a book on this theme?

Penny, I’m not sure I am qualified, really. I do know I love reading tales of a spooky and supernatural bent. I hope to share some of the chills I’ve experienced from great authors.

Is this a work of fiction or non-fiction? Why did you choose to write it this way?

Ooh, trick question! The main plotline of Tex And The Gangs Of Suburbia is based on a true story that happened at my high school several years back. And a lot of the characters and events are based on either my youth or my daughter’s. However, there’s a particular ghost plaguing my hero that is, of course, fictional. I like the meeting of reality and supernatural.

Is this story written for adults or children? Why did you target this audience?

The Tex series is written for both adults and teens. I’d like to believe the books are universal in their messages of tolerance, decent humanity and awkward situations (and who doesn’t like those?).

Do you believe in ghosts?  Why or why not?

You know, I’m not really certain if I believe in ghosts or not. I don’t want to be phasmophobic (look who learned a new word today! Been dying to try it out!). The skeptic in me says “nay,” yet the wide-eyed child inside says it’d be awfully narrow-minded to rule ghosts out of the realm of possibility.

Does your main character believe in ghosts?  Why or why not?

Oh, yeah, Tex believes in ghosts! Why? Um, ‘cause he has a particularly evil and vile bully of a ghost haunting him.

What kind of research did you do for this type of book?

Nightmares! Best kind of research for paranormal fiction. Of course surviving high school was a good part of research in itself. Talk about nightmares. Sometimes reality is more frightening than fiction.

FUN FACTS:

What is your favorite:

Movie?

I have many favorite movies, but I’ll have to go with Once Upon A Time In The West. It’s a Sergio Leone directed spaghetti western, but the artistry involved is astounding. The opening scene goes on for about twelve minutes, not a word is spoken, but the glorious visuals combined with Ennio Morricone’s astounding soundtrack is breathtaking. The close-ups! Three minutes of a fly on Jack Elam’s sweaty face! See it!

Author?

Gonna’ cheat. And I’ll just list ghost story authors, since it’s the theme. Charles L. Grant, Ramsey Campbell, John Farris, Stephen King, M.R. James, Shirley Jackson.

Quote? 

“I done saw Bigfoot.” Attributed to some guy in Arkansas.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Some new word! I do good to pick up simple words like birl!

    Nice interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cheryl! Okay I "might've" made up phasmophobic, but it's certainly fun to say, just rolls off the tip of the tongue. Let's everybody drop it this Halloween, see if we can get it "trending" or at least have fun with their double-takes.

    Thanks Penny for having me on your blog!

    ReplyDelete