Thursday, December 12, 2013

C. C. Gervry, A Christmas Kindness



AUTHOR: C.C. Gevry

BOOK TITLE: A Christmas Kindness

PUBLISHER: 4RV Publishing

Also available in digital formats at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and soon Apple/iTunes.


Tell me a little about your book.

A Christmas Kindness is the story of eight-year-old Robert, who visits the mall Santa on Christmas Eve. He’s got a long wish list tucked in his pocket, but when he meets Glenn and hears the boy’s one wish for Santa, Robert wonders if he can cast aside his wants to ask Santa to bring Glenn something special.



What gave you the idea for this particular story?

I was searching for a subtle way to encourage my girls to focus more on what they could do for others than on what will be under the Christmas tree. 

Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it.

This story is totally fictional, but it could take place anywhere. It’s a story you could see unfolding in your local mall.

Why did you choose to write a story with a Christmas or winter theme?

I’m a huge Christmas fanatic. Both of my books are set around Christmas. They tell you to write what you know, so that’s what I do. I also find it easier to write about a season I enjoy so much.

Do you see special challenges to marketing a book with a seasonal theme?  If so, what are they?

It’s definitely challenging because the largest window of sales comes during the months leading up to Christmas. When you’re dealing with large online retailers, they want to see consistent sales or they don’t restock your book. That’s one of the reasons why I’m encouraging readers to purchase the book directly from my publisher. The cost already includes shipping, which is really nice.

How long before December did you submit to your publisher?

Because A Christmas Kindness required some illustrations, I submitted it to 4RV Publishing a year prior to its release.

How and why did you choose this publisher?

I had read several books from 4RV Publishing and really liked what I saw. When I had the chance to pitch the idea to Vivian at a conference, I hopped at it. Thankfully, she accepted it.

What about your book makes it special?

Caroline Mabey did a wonderful job on the illustrations. She managed to capture the essence of Robert’s story with her artwork. It was neat watching the characters I created come to life. The book wouldn’t be the same without her loving touch.

What does Christmas and/or winter mean to you?

Christmas in our home is a celebration of the birth of Christ. It’s a time to remember the miracle of that first Christmas and to feel safe knowing our loving God keeps His promises.

What is your favorite Christmas or winter memory?

Oh, this is a tough one. I have so many. Two years ago was a really great Christmas, though. Now that my son is married, we don’t always get a chance to spend time together. For the holidays, they sometimes visit his wife’s family and other times come to our house. That year was the first time in a while we had our entire family together: my in-laws, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law with their baby, and all my kids. It was special.

What was your favorite stocking stuffer?

There are so many heartwarming gifts through the years. My girls make a point to choose something special each year. Often times, they make me cards and sneak them in when I’m not looking. I’ll miss that when they grow older.

What was your favorite Christmas present?

Difficult choice on this one, too. My son and daughter-in-law picked up a bread maker for me last year. They know I love spending time in the kitchen; and it allows me to share that love with the people who are important to me.

Where can people learn more about you and your work?

My website is http://ccgevry.com This is actually my pen name. You can also find me at http://ccmalandrinos.com Actually, the digital version of A Christmas Kindness was published under my real name. Eventually the printed version will be re-issued under that name, too. I’m on Facebook and Twitter, plus I manage numerous blogs and contribute to several others. Google me. My friends say I am all over the Internet.  


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me today, Penny. I always enjoy visiting your blog.

    Wishing all your readers a blessed holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great book. Cute cover. Thanks for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete