Thursday, December 19, 2013

Katy Regnery, By Proxy and “The Christmas Wish”





AUTHOR:  Katy Regnery
BOOK TITLE:  By Proxy and “The Christmas Wish”
PUBLISHER:  Boroughs Publishing Group

Tell me a little about your full-length novel, By Proxy.

A little-known legal loophole in Montana allows a couple – mostly deployed servicemen and women -  to be married via double proxy if they are unable to appear in person to take their own vows.  When Jenny, a small-town Montana schoolteacher, agrees to take vows on behalf of the bride, she doesn’t count on Sam -- a slick, citified Chicagoan, stepping in on behalf of the groom -- dismantling her carefully ordered world in the space of a long weekend. Sam finds Jenny’s unaffected wholesomeness refreshing after years of cynical superficiality in the big city, and their easy banter and frank attraction fill Jenny’s sheltered heart with a longing she has never known.   But even if a city slicker and a country mouse find love, will distance and differences prove to be their undoing?  Set against the majestic landscape of southern Montana and Yellowstone National Park, the reader 
can’t help but root for Jenny and Sam to make their whirlwind Christmas romance work!



What gave you the idea for this particular story?

When I originally sat down to write By Proxy, it was specifically for a 4000-word Writer’s Digest contest. I had stumbled across the obscure Montana law that allowed for double proxy marriage and I knew it would be a fun hook for a short story. But as Jenny Lindstrom and Sam Kelley came into focus, I realized that their story wasn’t going to fit into 4000 words. It simply wasn’t enough to tell their story. I’d barely gotten to know them, but I knew they had a lot more to say. So I kept writing, and a few days turned into a week, turned into a month, then two. And by the end I had a 70,000 word story that still used double proxy marriage for its hook, but told the story of two unlikely people who meet at Christmastime and end up falling in love.

Why did you choose to write a story with a Christmas or winter theme?

We take Christmas very seriously in my family! We decorate the day after Thanksgiving and this is an all-weekend, Christmas tree farm, boxes coming down from the attic, special recipe sort of decorating event. And throughout the Christmas season we are fully immersed at all times – listening to Christmas music, heading into New York City for shows, entertaining friends and family.  So, I am not short on Christmas cheer or vibrant Christmas memories. It felt really organic to write a couple of Christmas stories.

Do you see special challenges to marketing a book with a seasonal theme?  If so, what are they?

I think you have a very short window to get your story into the hands of readers. By Proxy was published on September 24th and “The Christmas Wish” was published on October 28th. I was able to do a lot of promotion in October and November, but I did get some push-back about “rushing the season.” But I know these books will not be as popular anymore come January, so I really wanted to maximize my potential window.



How long before December did you submit to your publisher?

I submitted By Proxy to Boroughs last December 2012 and they offered me a contract in March 2013. In September 2013 they asked for a Christmas novella to accompany By Proxy, so I hunkered down and wrote “The Christmas Wish” in three days.

How and why did you choose this publisher?

I was really impressed with the talent at Boroughs. Chris Keeslar was practically a legend at Dorchester and Jill Limber was the 2005 president of the RWA. When you combine Chris’s New York credentials with Jill’s RWA experience you have an absolutely amazing team. I have never regretted my decision to publish with Boroughs – in fact, I am thankful for that decision every day. I adore working with Chris and Jill.

What was your favorite Christmas present or stocking stuffer?

Last year my favorite stocking stuffer was also my favorite Christmas present! My husband surprised me with a new iPhone 5G and I burst into tears, I was so excited. Some women want jewelry and furs, but give me technology any day. That phone allows me to keep my social media presence strong no matter where I go. I love it.

Where can people learn more about you and your work?

Speaking of social media, I can be found daily on Twitter (@KatyRegnery) or on Facebook (www.facebook.com/KatyRegnery) I blog twice a week on my website (www.katyregnery.com)  which lists all of my books and has links to my Newsletter and Street Team.

Thank you so much for letting me stop by, Penny! I’ve enjoyed chatting with you today!!


KATY REGNERY, winner of the 2013 NECRWA First Kiss and 2013 Maine RWA Everything But the Kitchen Sink contests, has always loved telling a good story and credits her mother with making funny, heartwarming tales come alive throughout her childhood. A lifelong devotee of all romance writing from Edwardian to present-day, it was just a matter of time before Katy tried her hand at writing a love story of her own.

As it turned out, one love story turned into a series of six Heart of Montana romances, following the love lives of the Yellowstone-based Lindstrom siblings. In addition to small-town contemporary romance, Katy is presently writing a paranormal romance that takes place in northern New England and the forests north of Quebec.

Speaking of forests, Katy lives in the relative-wilds of northern Fairfield County, Connecticut where her writing room looks out at the woods and her husband, two young children and two dogs create just enough cheerful chaos to remind her that the very best love stories of all are the messy and unexpected ones.




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Christmas at your house is a fun time! Nice interview!

    ReplyDelete