Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Phillip L. Davidson, Dreamer




AUTHOR: Phillip L. Davidson
BOOK TITLE: Dreamer
GENRE: faith-based military thriller
PUBLISHER: self


Please tell us about yourself.

I am a practicing attorney. I have a wife, three children and four grandchildren.

Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?

Part-time. I’m working at night on my second book.

When and why did you begin writing?

I started writing about 10 years ago. I wanted to create something that readers would enjoy and positively move them.

What inspired you to write your first book?

My belief that God can, and does, intervene in our lives. I wanted to write about how he would do that with soldiers.

What are your thoughts about promotion?

You have to believe in yourself and your work. You have to let others know about your work, or no one will read it. So, you have to promote your work

What was the toughest criticism given to you? What was the biggest compliment?

My first reviewer said there was too much sex in the book. She seemed to think I was pre-occupied with the sexual relationships of the characters. I took her comments to heart and toned it down in a rewrite. It was still important, however, for me to keep the novel realistic.

The biggest compliment was that one reader said he was inspired.

Did those change how or what you did in your next novel?

No, my second novel does not involve sex as much as it does first love. The two main characters fall in love at first sight, but both have never experienced physical love.

Did you learn anything from writing your book, and what was it?

Yes, how tough it is to take criticism.

What is your marketing plan?

I trust my publicist, but we hope to reach readers through forums like this.

What do you plan for the future?

To write more novels. I have a third novel planned.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc.?

I am on Twitter at https://twitter.com/Dreamernovel and my website is at www.phildavidsonbooks.com

What genre do you write in and why?

I like to write action novels. I guess it is because of my military background. Men facing combat bring a maturity to the plot not found in other genres.



Tell us about the current book you’re promoting.

Dreamer is a novel about a Special Forces team that were drummed out of the Army during the Vietnam War because they all broke under torture. How they are brought back together to take on one last mission, and for God, no less. It takes place during the Falklands War and sees them travel from America to Central and South America, and in the process, take on evil in the form of narc-terrorists and the Argentine Secret Service. It has plenty of action, both on the ground and in the air, but all revolves around the concept of redemption

What gave you the idea for this particular book?

I wanted to tell a story about how God would offer redemption to warriors. I chose to portray God as a warrior. I know this thought is foreign to most religious readers, but shouldn’t be. I took the lead character from the Bible character David, who like the characters in Dreamer, was flawed but loved by God.

Do you outline before you write?  If not, what’s your initial process?

I did outline, but I was not afraid to rewrite.

What comes first: the plot or characters?

Plot. Then find the characters to make it come alive.

Which of your characters do you love/hate/fear/pity the most and why?

I love the lead character, David because I relate to him on a personal level; though I do like the character, Father Perez, a Roman Catholic priest who no longer believes in God.

Which characters were the hardest to develop and why?

Captain Alvarez, head of the Argentine Secret Service. I wanted him to be evil, but at the same time I wanted the reader to understand how he came to the point in his life where he is doing the horrible things he is doing.

Did your book require a lot of research? If so, what kind?

Yes, I had to do quite a lot on Phoenix, the CIA ‘s assassination program in Vietnam that led to Tet 658, The Argentine Secret Service that fought ‘the Dirty War,’ and the Falklands War.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Killing off a character.

What advice would you give a new writer starting out?

Don’t give up. It takes time for readers to notice your work.


FUN QUESTIONS: 

What do you do when you’re not writing?

I try cases and work with clients. I am a civil rights lawyer.

What book are you currently reading? What do you like or not like about it?

I have just finished the fifth novel in the Game of Thrones series. I like the long narrative and character development.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting Phil today. I hope your readers check out his book.

    ReplyDelete