Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Angelica Dawson, Blue Moon House: Kitten





AUTHOR: Angelica Dawson
BOOK TITLE: Blue Moon House: Kitten
GENRE: Erotica
PUBLISHER: Naughty Nights Press


Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?

I am a part-time writer. My day job is as an environmental consultant. The field season is very busy, but it also involves a lot of driving to and from sites. That’s fantastic plotting time. And with my daughter and husband not around in the evening, I usually have an hour or so to type or scribble down my ideas. In the winter, it’s easier. I only work part-time.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?

Lately I’ve been doing cross-stitch and playing Minecraft. I also work as an environmental consultant, and my family fills the rest of the time.

What are your thoughts about promotion?

I’ve really fallen down on promotion. I used to tweet regularly, submit interviews to blogs like this one, have bloggers visit me, write flash fiction and post it, but I found I got so little in return that I when my summer overwhelmed me, I cut out all of it. I haven’t managed to get back and I’m not sure it’s worth it.

Do you ever have writer’s block? If so, how do you get through it?

I’m currently suffering from writer’s block. Normally I just switch project. I have two pen names and if one is blocked the other is usually flowing. Sadly, at the moment, my well is dry and I’m trying to get back in the saddle. It’s a hard slog.

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them?

One of my writer acquaintances suggested Naughty Nights Press when my first submission was rejected. I was lucky enough to strike on the second try and I’m so glad I did. The authors at NNP are very supportive. They’ve been urging me back into writing even when I’ve given up hope. As Gina (my publisher) says, they won’t give up on me.

What are your current projects?

There is another prequel after Kitten that is currently in final edits, though I don’t have a release date. Kitten is a prequel to the original Blue Moon House and tells the story of Jocelyn, one of the vampires in the original. The next prequel, currently called Gentleman, we’ll learn about Harrold’s past.

What do you plan for the future?

There are seven vampires in the original Blue Moon House and I’m hoping to complete a prequel story for each of them. I have drafts of all but the oldest two, Lynn and Sophia.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc.?

My blog is http://blogspot.angelicadawson.com/ and when I have news I will definitely post it there. You can also find me on facebook: http://facebook.com/authorangelicadawson and twitter: @angelicadawson



Do you outline before you write?  If not, what’s your initial process?

No. I’m a discovery writer. I usually have a point A and point B, occasionally I’m able to put one or two more points between those, but I let my characters take the lead. I start with a character. I get to know them very well, and then they write the story.

What was the process of creating this book from the first idea to the final published book?

When I finished Blue Moon House, prequels didn’t occur to me. It was one of my beta readers that pointed out there was an obvious series in the making. Upon reading her response and contemplating, I started imagining how Jocelyn became a vampire. From there, the series of prequels followed. I started writing Kitten shortly after Blue Moon House was accepted and then let it rest for a few months until the edits for the original story were complete. While waiting for the release, I penned the end of Kitten so it was ready for beta readers just as the first volume hit shelves. I sent it off to two or three beta readers and submitted it. After that, it was a few months before I fell into the edit queue again. There weren’t many rounds of edits though, and it was only two or three months after editing began that my book became reality.

Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you?  Why or why not?

Not really. If I was too uncomfortable writing sex, I wouldn’t be in this genre! Sometimes violence can get to me, though. It depends. A character is fighting for his life and taking scrapes and pains to win in the end is okay, but abusive or degrading violence, as happens in a few of my stories, is harder to shake off after writing.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Learning what I needed to research. Thankfully my editor is a buff on historical dress and could correct where I went astray. She also helped me increase the feel of the period, something that was lacking in earlier drafts.

What are your current books out right now, and what are the books coming up for release?

Blue Moon House is currently available from Naughty Nights Press along with Kitten. I have short stories in two anthologies, the Campus Sexploits 3 from Naught Nights and first volume of Serviced from Breathless Press. I’ve submitted the next two prequels for Blue Moon House as well as a short story to NNP, but I don’t have any estimated release dates and haven’t started edits on two of those.

Describe your writing space.
Today it’s relatively clean. I tidied over the holidays, but normally it’s a sliding pile of bills, paper, notebooks, binders, and the phone that never seems to get back on its cradle.

What has been your favorite part of being an author? What has been your least favorite?

My favourite part is sharing my characters with others. I come to know and think of them as real people and being published just makes them that much more real. The least favourite part has to be blogging and promotion. I love writing stories, but articles just don’t come naturally to me. I’m currently submitting to a native plant periodical in the province, trying to break that wall, but it’s been hard. I also have trouble self-promoting. My family and friends are great for mentioning. “Oh, yeah, she’s and author and you should read her books!” but I can’t say that myself for whatever reason.

2 comments:

  1. I think every writer hates promotion! And as for running dry...It happens. Sometimes it's best to sit back and enjoy life for a while before going back to the computer.

    Nice interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete