Monday, February 10, 2014

Patricia Hudson, Stolen Hearts




AUTHOR:     Patricia Hudson
BOOK TITLE:    Stolen Hearts
GENRE:   Romantic/Suspense
PUBLISHER:   Bullitt Publishing


Please tell us about yourself.  

I was born in Llanelli, Wales, U.K. My family moved to the U.S. when I was a teenager to the idyllic village of Geneseo in western New York. It was a great place to grow up, small and friendly. In 1987, I moved, with my husband and children, to the suburbs of Chicago, IL. Talk about another culture shock, moving from a small village in the Genesee Valley to a city as big and exciting as Chicago. We lived in LaGrange Park for nine years before moving to our forever home on the outskirts of Springfield, IL.

My first passion will always be my family. I have three adult children and seven grandchildren. They are funny and smart and wonderful. The happiest times are when we’re all together, playing or doing what families do.

Please tell us your latest news

I am in the middle of writing my seventh book, which is tentatively called The Circle. It’s a sequel to The Call which will be released in April of 2014. This will be a busy year for me.  Four of my books are scheduled for release: The Call, Love on the Double T, Love’s Deception and The Exchange.

Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time? 

I’m retired from a career as a Controller so I’m lucky, I can spend as much time as I want to writing. I’m very driven and it’s usually eight hours a day or more.

When and why did you begin writing? 

I started writing two years ago, but never thought it would reach this level. I was worried about retirement, and what I would do. The thought of luncheons and shopping was not very exciting. One day, I sat at my laptop and started typing. It was as if my fingers had a mind of their own.

What inspired you to write your first book? 

During her youth, my youngest daughter showed horses, and we met wonderful people from across the country. I have two quarter horses, homebred sisters. Lilly and Juno are stabled with my trainer in Nashville, Tennessee. It made sense to write about what I knew.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?  

I’m reading or spending time with my grandchildren. I also like to garden.

What are your thoughts about promotion? 

I think about how much I hate it all the time. I’m new to the game, and my CP and I are trying to figure out what works and what doesn’t.

What was the toughest criticism given to you? 

There were so many, but all gentle and constructive. When I started, I was so excited when I finished my book that I submitted it to a publisher without any editing. I was such an inexperienced wannabe. I received this kind email telling me everything that was wrong with my book. The writer finished with “But, that can all be fixed. Congratulations you’ve written a book.” At first I was embarrassed for my overzealousness, but I took that book and I deleted and added and deleted and added more until I really had a book.

What was the biggest compliment? 

I received the following email from the director of my local library.  Just a note to let you know that I’ve had many comments from our library patrons and from the directors at the libraries that purchased Stolen Hearts and they are very complementary. Everyone wants you to continue the story of Ryan and Sara.”

Did those change how or what you did in your next novel? 

No, not in the next novel, but I did finally get a CP and that made all the difference in the world.

Do you ever have writer’s block? If so, how do you get through it? 

No, I don’t get writer’s block. I usually get to a point in my books where I struggle with direction, but that’s about it.

Did you learn anything from writing your book, and what was it? 

I learned so much from my first editor. I was so inexperienced, I didn’t know what POV was. Isn’t that ridiculous? That I would have the nerve to write a book without any skill.

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them? 

Bullitt was my first publisher, but my new books are with Soulmate Publishing.

What is your marketing plan? 

Oh my, that sounds ominous. I am really just enjoying the process. I made a promise to myself that I would write and not get all bogged down with the other stuff. If it stops being fun, I will lose interest. I do occasional blogs, and I am trying to increase my friends on my author page. I enjoy chatting with readers. I have done a book signing at the library for my first book, and it went well. My plan is to write, write, and write more.

What are your current projects? 

I mentioned earlier that I am writing a sequel to my book, The Call, which is scheduled for release in April, 2014. It is a paranormal set in Wales. I loved writing it.

What do you plan for the future? 

To write, write, write and have fun.

How can we find you?  


What genre do you write in and why? 

I write Romance/Suspense and Romance/Paranormal

Tell us about the current book you’re promoting

After seventeen years of marriage, Sara’s husband betrays her, leaving her for another woman.  Angry and humiliated, Sara moves to Florida with her daughter and her two show jumpers determined to make a new life for herself as a horse trainer.

Her new life is filled with horse shows, students, new friends – and Ryan, a fellow trainer, who she meets at the Midland Equestrian Center.

When Sara learns that her cherished thoroughbred has been stolen, she must rely on Ryan to help her find her beloved Denby. She discovers that while Ryan is helping her to recover her stolen horse, he has managed to steal her heart, as well.

What gave you the idea for this particular book? 

Horses have always been a part of my life. We bred quarter horses at our small farm. We no longer have any horses here at the farm, but I do have Juno, a registered quarter horse, at my trainers in Nashville, Tennessee. She is a jumper.

Do you outline before you write?  If not, what’s your initial process?  

I am a total pantser. Once I get an idea, I sit at my laptop and start typing. My career as an accountant helps to keep my thoughts organized. The outline is stored in my brain. The most difficult part of writing for me is the grammar. Fortunately, I have a fabulous critique partner who is a whiz at grammar in addition to her writing talents.

What are your current books out right now, and what are the books coming up for release? 

Stolen Hearts is out on Amazon and B&N as well as numerous other websites. It’s available in several countries.
The Call is scheduled to be released in April 2014
Love on the Double T is scheduled for late spring 2014
Love’s Deception is scheduled for summer 2014
The Exchange is also scheduled for summer 2014

I am putting the finishing touches on Jana Morgan P.I. The Mississippi River Murders
My work in progress is The Circle.

What seven words would you use to describe yourself?  

These are my husband’s words. Smart, Caring, Creative, Stubborn, Daring, Persevering, and the oxymoron, Insecure.

Describe your writing space. 

My writing space is a sunroom in my home that I’ve taken over as my office. It has two walls of windows and my desk looks out on acres of pastures.


What was your most embarrassing moment as an author? 

Because I’m such a newbie, the most embarrassing moment was when the director of our local library introduced me to a roomful of people attending the library fundraiser as “Our very own celebrity and published author.” I wanted to look around to see who she was referring to. 



    
Excerpt
She finished early and decided to take a walk around the barns. Ryan must be here somewhere, she thought. He’s probably a jerk but he’s nice to look at.
The next aisle was as busy as theirs. A trainer with his back to her stood staring at a horse in cross ties. Recognizing Ryan from his stance and the way he cocked his head, she went up and stood next to him. “Hi, we haven’t met, I’m Sara.”
 The trainer turned holding his hand out in greeting. “Yes, I’ve been meaning to come over and meet you, but it’s been a hell of a week. I’m Ryan.”
Sara shook his hand, feeling the surge of electricity when they touched. She’d found him. He’s even more attractive than I remember. He had black hair and the bluest eyes Sara had ever seen. When he tilted his head and smiled, her heart beat faster. It had been a long time since Sara had experienced such feelings. It was exciting. She liked him even more when she saw his concern for the horse in cross ties. She quickly recovered her senses. “What are you staring at?”
“I’m not sure. He seemed a bit off when I rode him. I’m trying to figure out what’s wrong.”
“Do you want me to trot him for you?”
Ryan gave her an appreciative nod. “If you don’t mind, that would be helpful. I’m not going to learn anything standing here staring at him.” Ryan unhooked the big gelding and attached a lead line.
Sara led the gelding down the hall, picking up the pace to a trot. She turned and trotted back toward Ryan.
“Will you do it again, if you don’t mind?” Ryan stroked his chin watching the horse trot away. “It’s in his left stifle,” Ryan said as Sara brought the horse to him. “Here, I’ll take him.” Ryan put the gelding in his stall and turned to Sara. “I’ll call Doc to take a look at him before he leaves. Thanks Sara, that was helpful.”
“You’re welcome. I’m glad I could help.”
“So, you’re our new trainer with the big gelding everyone is talking about. You’d better be careful or Marcy and Derrick will be bringing you offers you can’t refuse. They like to have the stars in their barn. We all do, but they’re a bit more aggressive than the rest of us. They don’t like competition and Derrick is desperate to get a good mount.” He laughed when he saw Sara’s worried look and took her arm, “Don’t worry about it. I’m sure you’ll handle Derrick. Let’s get a cup of coffee.”
Ryan and Sara walked to the trainer’s barn. Sitting by the window with their coffee, Sara felt an unusual giddiness in Ryan’s presence, her arm still warm from his touch. Get a grip; he’s your co-worker for God’s sake. Easier said than done, she thought.
“Where are you from Ryan? I detect an accent.” Sara tore her eyes away from his, hoping to regain some control. Although a handsome man, he seemed unaware of his looks. His unassuming quality added another dimension to his attractiveness. Sara, on the other hand, struggled to control her emotions, very aware of his looks. Her heart beat rapidly. She prayed Ryan couldn’t hear it.



1 comment: